Sign in to follow this  
Sledgehammer

M&W Dyna Drive 2600

Has anyone ever had or used one?  It has no PTO and is ground driven. Two reels. First one runs ground speed. Second runs 3x faster through a chain driven gear box. Supposed to need 10hp/ft and run 7-9mph. This one is 9' wide. It is for sale (not by me) and I was wondering what people thought of them?  The rolling basket was an optional accessory.

IMG_4108.JPG

IMG_4109.JPG

IMG_4110.JPG

My nephew has been running them for years.  Very high maintenance item.  He uses them to mix in manure before chiseling.  When wet the tines ball up and it is a complain to clean out.  A piece of equipment that needs to be set right and run the right speed.  If not it will turn a field into a wash board.  Parts are no longer available for them so he is down to his last one and when they are worn out, they are less than scrap metal.  A 15 footer is all a 9330 wants at 5 mph.

jerry

I wondered how fast the tines would wear. I ran this one today across some fairly wet ground and it actually did a nice job of mixing the surface layer. Even in corn stalks it chewed everything up. That thing is definately HEAVY. 

Any pictures from in the field??

I had heard of and seen advertisements on these from back in the 60's or 70's when I wholesaled the Howard Rotavators.  Never saw one in the field.

I would think it would survive longer as a finishing tool for final seeded preparation?  Those tines and their mounting does not look as if it was designed for primary tillage.

Interesting report from Smoker on mixing the manure------fortunately, I never got into the mixing process with the Rotavators.:blink:

DD 

I remember seeing these run at the Michigan State Ag Expo back in the 1990's when me and Grandpa used to go every year.  I have yet to see one in use on a farm.

2 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Any pictures from in the field??

I had heard of and seen advertisements on these from back in the 60's or 70's when I wholesaled the Howard Rotavators.  Never saw one in the field.

I would think it would survive longer as a finishing tool for final seeded preparation?  Those tines and their mounting does not look as if it was designed for primary tillage.

Interesting report from Smoker on mixing the manure------fortunately, I never got into the mixing process with the Rotavators.:blink:

DD 

I was at work and am not allowed to take pictures.  The ground was plenty heavy but it did a good job in my opinion.  It shredded corn stalks and did not ball up.  I have no idea how fast the tines would wear and I suspect that is what maintenance Smoker was talking about.  Otherwise there are 6 grease zerks and that is it.  The implement is very heavy and takes a lot of HP to run the desired speed for its size.  I like the way it is built but I'm not sure a 9' (in this case) implement on a tractor 90HP or larger is very efficient when you could pull a much larger disk with the same HP and cover more ground while burying or destroying residue.  

Based on superIH's statement of 1990's--------might be that these entered the scene after my days with Rotavator??;  but I do remember the advertisements.

Anything along those lines always caught my attention.

Is M&W still in business??

DD 

I believe they were purchased by a "group". I have seen these in larger sizes made as late as 2008 so I think the name is still alive but the original company is not. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. 

5 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I was at work and am not allowed to take pictures.  The ground was plenty heavy but it did a good job in my opinion.  It shredded corn stalks and did not ball up.  I have no idea how fast the tines would wear and I suspect that is what maintenance Smoker was talking about.  Otherwise there are 6 grease zerks and that is it.  The implement is very heavy and takes a lot of HP to run the desired speed for its size.  I like the way it is built but I'm not sure a 9' (in this case) implement on a tractor 90HP or larger is very efficient when you could pull a much larger disk with the same HP and cover more ground while burying or destroying residue.  

The high maintenance is in the gear boxes.  Large roller chain on 2 different size sprockets.  Constantly putting new chains on and the gears wear fast.  I'm thinking it is # 80 or 100 chain running in oil.

jerry

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, SMOKER 1 said:

My nephew has been running them for years.  Very high maintenance item.  He uses them to mix in manure before chiseling.  When wet the tines ball up and it is a complain to clean out.  A piece of equipment that needs to be set right and run the right speed.  If not it will turn a field into a wash board.  Parts are no longer available for them so he is down to his last one and when they are worn out, they are less than scrap metal.  A 15 footer is all a 9330 wants at 5 mph.

jerry

Nice Massey.  Its a dead ringer for mine except mine is a diesel.  Does it have a foot or hand clutch?