leeave96

Baler Twine Question

Making a few plans and changes for 2018 haying season - small square bales.

I've been using 9000 sisal and even changed to 7200 sisal this year to get more twine consistency and less breakage.  The 7200 I went throuh this past summer was worse than the 9000 I had used - go figure!

So on a second cutting, I bought some poly (maybe it should be called plastic) twine, 9600 with a 210 knot strength.  This twine change alone transformed a very good baler into a great one (JD 348) for us.  Only had one string break and I think that one got nicked.  Really zero down time due to string breakage.

We are changing to poly twine for 2018.  However, we are adding a pan kicker to our JD baler and traditionally, I have thought of 7200 sisal as the twine of choice for any square baler kicking or throwing bales into a wagon.

But is 7200 necessary for a kicker/thrower when using poly twine, 900 or 9600?  Is poly 7200 really necessary?

Anyone successfully/reliably running 9000 or 9600 poly twine on a square baler with a kicker or thrower?

Thanks!

I think you need to realize that the 7200-9000-9600 are the size balls. 

210 or 170 are the knot strength of the twine. Typically around here 210 is referred to as kicker twine and 170 is regular but both can work for kickers. If you want the strings singing tight and like to fill 20 foot wagons the 210 is a must. As far as sisal vs poly. Poly is 578% better. Doesn’t rot. Mice don’t chew as bad and you can trust it a lot more. Less knitter problems too

Never tried it w/ a kicker, but that 210 poly twine is tough.  Only down side I have - you have to sharpen the billhook knives 4X as often as with sisal.

Agree poly twine is way better than sisal.  My experience is the 9600/170 is sufficient with belt throwers and nh balers.  Dealer tells me ost people step up to the 210 strength if they are having problems with 170 or are trying to make bricks.  

I think it’s personal preference on twine- I like sisal and you can handle the bales without gloves whereas plastic twine cuts through your hands in short time, in my opinion 

You shouldn’t have any trouble with plastic twine with a kicker- seems once people make that switch they don’t go back to sisal twine

Sid

it is ALL %$#^&  unless you buy the premium ,net and wrap included no consistency or quality control

also will have to go with the premium or 3x inspected?? for next year ,about 20% more $

top grade    still had 50/1100 bad wraps (pin holes, tears ,wrong mil)  100+/1400 net issues (no cut,tears, center pulls,15' tails, breaks)

sisal @ 9K    250/3000  #50 horse/feeder/sheep(mid air breaks,knot slips, no ties)have to throw out first 30' as it rarely changes over ,4 knots on hook before you see...6-8 to recycle when it should have been 50 more in the wagon

used plastic 20 yrs ago for outdoor bales only,norm in this area,  harder on knives,hands and ANY bearings if you have helpers

the large square twine is 2x thicker,good for shipping,trying things in storms,generally too thick for most bearing or long enough to find

what brands/supplier are you running?