Hydro70

Ive got a sinkhole up top of our driveway

Leaving out the house this morning and I noticed a blackhole off to my side and looked over and kinda thought it was a oil spot but then I noticed it was a blackhole and stopped immediately and got out the truck and I be dang if I aint got about a four or five foot deep and about same size around sinkhole on the top of the gravel drive of our place so I kicked it out on the edges some and throwed a concrete block I had in the truck in case some idiot runs in it and called my girlfriends Dad and he is going to take the backhole and scratch it out and take some gravel off the drive and fill the void up.  Our drive runs about 500ft long off the main road and its gravel and its been there probably forty or fifty years but it just seems Why Here, why not out in the field somewhere and believe you me Kentucky is full of sinkholes and we are about sixty or seventy miles from Mammouth Cave and sixty-five miles from Bowling Green where the sinkhole ate the Corvettes and this drive has been runover thousands up on thousands of times but O Well.

You don't have an old well, drain pipe or some other line running under your driveway do you?

old mine or excess water use/ flow in the limestone,we have plenty here along with the occasional fire

slurry mix works best...fill and poke is cheapest

In that area, I think I would dig it out, maybe you have an undiscovered cave. Wouldn't that be neat.

After you fill it in, if it reforms have a sonogram done. We get some up here and you have to be careful. Sometimes there isn't much below the bottom, opening into a larger cavern underneath.

And I thought scraping frost off the pickup windshield every, (almost), morning for the next 5 months was a pain in the butt...........:o

Mike

The rock formations in that area are karst.  I read about them at the rest area on I65 N between Bowling Green and E town.  I think it is a soft limestone that is pourious.  Looking at the cuts they made widening the interstate through there You can see openings that could have been a sink hole.  Lots of the rock is red from the clay leaching through.  You will have to dig down and find the "throat" in the rock, then 8ml nonwolven fabric to line hole.  Fill said hole with rock compacting as you go.  Then fold fabric over and cover.  Good luck with repair.  Or you could do what most did, keep stuffing trash into it till it stops up, then find another to dump in.

Hydro. your the king of cool pictures... where the photo of the hole ?? :P

Needs a sign that says "Parking for Deere Customers"

36 minutes ago, Power of Red said:

Hydro. your the king of cool pictures... where the photo of the hole ?? :P

I was hoping for the same :)