Missouri Mule

1206 prices??!!

Recommended Posts

now to get back to original part of post. The first is an air compressor that exploded about 15 ft from my head. I was under a c70 chevy truck putting a clutch in it was a nice summer day and I had it on our drier slap was going to blow dust off then kaboom.,second pictures are 1206 row crop I traded for insurance deductible on a truck rollover I fixed. Have about 500 in it but need to finish it one year. The timing gears were broke so we got a tired 1256 engine in it.

IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, RKO said:

The 5010 was not productes in 1965 The 5020 was being produced in 1965.   

One my friends has of his dads is a 5010

You are wrong.  The 5020 came out in the fall of 1965 as new for 1966. So the 5010 was only in production maybe a month after the 1206 hit the floor. I just checked my 1965 5010 manual and there is no 18.4-38.  There was also no official row crop 5010.  Only a rowcrop 5020.  Its possible that after the 18.4-38 and the 5020 was introduced some dealers swapped out the tires on 5010s.  It’s that or you are mistaking 5020s for 5010s.  Keep in mind JD made between 5,000 and 6,000 5010s but approximately 15,000 5020s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is getting better than an oil thread.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one 5010 row crop with 38 inch rubber on tractor house has the 5020 manifold so it is a 20 also. Just going by what the JD book says row crop big ones didn't come out until after 5020 production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dale560 said:

The one 5010 row crop with 38 inch rubber on tractor house has the 5020 manifold so it is a 20 also. Just going by what the JD book says row crop big ones didn't come out until after 5020 production.

JD introduced the rowcrop 5020 in 1967.  Lot of 5010s around here got converted to 5020s.  Our dealers were aggressive in changing out the engines.  At the very least some of them got the 5020 oil pan and manifolds.  Our current 5010 has a 20 engine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

JD introduced the rowcrop 5020 in 1967.  Lot of 5010s around here got converted to 5020s.  Our dealers were aggressive in changing out the engines.  At the very least some of them got the 5020 oil pan and manifolds.  Our current 5010 has a 20 engine.  

What size duals did your 5010 have? One book lists duals as factory option. I have a set of 5020 cast duals to put on our 4630 that had bands. They came off the first 5020 row crop I had seen from a Potato guy I worked some for. Other wise all the 5010s had big cab and big tires around here. I do know if you have trans problems 5010 use different gears than 5020s. Whole sets can be swapped but gears are not the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting back to the original thread keep in mind the price on tractor house is the asking price not the selling price the 1206s are up in value but there are plenty selling for 25-50 % more than a compareable 806 or 856 . There is a certain following out there that will put enormous money in a paint job new tires on it call it all restored and ask for the moon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dale560 said:

What size duals did your 5010 have? One book lists duals as factory option. I have a set of 5020 cast duals to put on our 4630 that had bands. They came off the first 5020 row crop I had seen from a Potato guy I worked some for. Other wise all the 5010s had big cab and big tires around here.

Our original 5010 had 18.4-34 duals.  Grandpa said it wasn’t enough tire.  I don’t know what the 5020 had for tires.  We traded it off for a MF 1800 in 1971 or 72.  Our current 5010 has 24.5-32 tires.  We also rowcrop 5020 that has 18.4-38 duals. The 5010 on tractor house looks like a rowcrop 5020 to me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, R190 said:

Getting back to the original thread keep in mind the price on tractor house is the asking price not the selling price the 1206s are up in value but there are plenty selling for 25-50 % more than a compareable 806 or 856 . There is a certain following out there that will put enormous money in a paint job new tires on it call it all restored and ask for the moon

Yea, lets talk about 1206 International's.  I'm certain that there is a site for those green tractors.  Come to think of it, I like Olivers'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dale560 said:

The one 5010 row crop with 38 inch rubber on tractor house has the 5020 manifold so it is a 20 also. Just going by what the JD book says row crop big ones didn't come out until after 5020 production.

Best way to tell the difference between a 5010 and 5020 is the rear end.  A lot of 5010 motors have been replaced with 5020 motors or screaming jimmies.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

You are wrong.  The 5020 came out in the fall of 1965 as new for 1966. So the 5010 was only in production maybe a month after the 1206 hit the floor. I just checked my 1965 5010 manual and there is no 18.4-38.  There was also no official row crop 5010.  Only a rowcrop 5020.  Its possible that after the 18.4-38 and the 5020 was introduced some dealers swapped out the tires on 5010s.  It’s that or you are mistaking 5020s for 5010s.  Keep in mind JD made between 5,000 and 6,000 5010s but approximately 15,000 5020s.

This àrea calls anything that' does not have a 3pt pto  a standard with those things we call them row crop. Might not be correct wording.    His dad bought the tractor new. It is a 5010  Thats what tires that were on it when he got it new.  Factory or dealer added they were on there. There' were several 5010 sold like his in the area  The only thing done was he added an Egging Cab a few years later 

From all data i can find the 5020 was introduced in 1965

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So.....back to the original question. They bring more money because they were the first over 100hp row crop IH, the had a unique attractive paint scheme, they were a strong well built tractor, there were not as many made as many other models and the biggest reason, they are not building any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RKO said:

Best way to tell the difference between a 5010 and 5020 is the rear end.  A lot of 5010 motors have been replaced with 5020 motors or screaming jimmies.  

I guess I don’t know what is different in the rear end. The one 5010 on tractor house is a 5020. It has louvers , big fuel cap and 5020 manifold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RKO said:

This àrea calls anything that' does not have a 3pt pto  a standard with those things we call them row crop. Might not be correct wording.    

From all data i can find the 5020 was introduced in 1965

I would say so.  Our 5010 has a 3-point and a PTO.  Also has 24.5-32 tires and a solid front axle.  Does that make it a transgender 5010?

 

Quote

The 5010 was not productes in 1965 The 5020 was being produced in 1965.   

 

 

5020-1.jpg

5020-2.jpg

5020-3.jpg

5020-6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dale560 said:

I guess I don’t know what is different in the rear end. The one 5010 on tractor house is a 5020. It has louvers , big fuel cap and 5020 manifold

I would have to look at our 5010 and 20 because I've never noticed any difference either.  If we are looking at the same 5010 on tractor house it the row crop fenders too and not the 5010 fenders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love this forum only on here could we talk about prices of a 1206 and come up with original sales and advertising for a 5020. Wish I could find picture dad had of his 1206 he bought used in 73 or 4. He didn't keep it long though got traded on a white cab 1466 but he does have an 806 turbo that we used the heck out of.  Fixed a couple 5020 transmissions so all tractors fascinate me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dale560 said:

Love this forum only on here could we talk about prices of a 1206 and come up with original sales and advertising for a 5020. Wish I could find picture dad had of his 1206 he bought used in 73 or 4. He didn't keep it long though got traded on a white cab 1466 but he does have an 806 turbo that we used the heck out of.  Fixed a couple 5020 transmissions so all tractors fascinate me.

Don’t forget we mentioned the dangers of compressed air somewhere in there as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cough, cough...the bit in the JD book about the 5020 replacing crawlers out here in the PNW is pure BS. There was and is NO two wheel drive tractor that could manipulate these hills equivalent to a track layer. That's my opinion and I'm not humble about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Getting Back to your original question of why 1206 seem to command more money.

      1206  was introduced when many of us were started farming, We could not afford them then , (speaking for Myself)  It was the real True Muscle tractor, and yes its beautifully made

   It has continued to be the standard that others were measured by.

 Again speaking for myself , I have always had a eye for one and after many years I found one that blew my socks off and there was no thinking about it . I offered to buy it and he asked premium and I felt it was worth it to me and I paid it.

 No rhyme or reason other then I fell in love with a 1206 in 1967 demonstrating it  at age 21 ,I was broke just starting  I now own one at age 71, Finally quenched my thirst for one.

   1206 is an iconic tractor so it will command interest in this generation. Next gen will probably  not be as excited by then.

 JMHO,

    Tony

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tony in ca. said:

 Getting Back to your original question of why 1206 seem to command more money.

      1206  was introduced when many of us were started farming, We could not afford them then , (speaking for Myself)  It was the real True Muscle tractor, and yes its beautifully made

   It has continued to be the standard that others were measured by.

 Again speaking for myself , I have always had a eye for one and after many years I found one that blew my socks off and there was no thinking about it . I offered to buy it and he asked premium and I felt it was worth it to me and I paid it.

 No rhyme or reason other then I fell in love with a 1206 in 1967 demonstrating it  at age 21 ,I was broke just starting  I now own one at age 71, Finally quenched my thirst for one.

   1206 is an iconic tractor so it will command interest in this generation. Next gen will probably  not be as excited by then.

 JMHO,

    Tony

   

At least the 1206s are still around now that you're 71. I kind of doubt anything made today will be in service when I hit 71!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ZachGrant said:

At least the 1206s are still around now that you're 71. I kind of doubt anything made today will be in service when I hit 71!

   That is right ! Its really something that the 1206, 1456, 806 and others are still out working and sought after for restorations .

   I have several new J.D,'s that I use for Farming and I have not even been in them . I give them to the hired hands and could care less for them with all the computer & air pollution crap.

   They make me sick to my stomach ,but they are a necessary evil.

 Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Bleedinred said:

Cough, cough...the bit in the JD book about the 5020 replacing crawlers out here in the PNW is pure BS. There was and is NO two wheel drive tractor that could manipulate these hills equivalent to a track layer. That's my opinion and I'm not humble about it.

I agree.  There was one really wet spring that we had to bring our 14A out of retirement to pull a set of drills because the 4640 couldn't stay on the hills.  But if you go out onto the northern wheat plains east of the Rockies that statement is partly true.  Not speaking for every single area but around here 5010/20s retired many crawlers mostly D6s and TD 14s.  Grandpa parked his IH TD 14A when he bought the 5010.  Taking is a step higher my cousins farmed with a TD 18A and D7 until they bought a 6030.  It was the first 2 wheel drive tractor they bought that could out work either of those crawlers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also price is reflected by area and it seems that the highest prices and demand seem to be in midwest/cornbelt that I have noticed. Checking Auctiontime results will probably give you a truer view of what the actual market is for something, or at least what something was worth to someone that day.  Down here (Northern LA & Southern AR) you would just about starve if a person asked for the prices that are posted on Tractorhouse, especially old IH's. I personally saw a nice 1206 spring of 2016 with over 5k of receipts and the only functioning TA I've seen go for 6500$ and that was after serious prodding by auctioneer. Then last January a 5288 with duals sold for 2000$ because it had a problem not going into certain gears ( maybe pressure switch, Idk). 1256 - 3200$ , 806 Lp 1700$, Farmall 400, bad TA- 450$. All relative to area and who is bidding I guess but I too have kinda choked a little when I've seen the asking price for 1206's and a few others. I guess you can always start high then work down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Tony about the generation most interested in 1206s. Dad would be 73 this December if he was still around. Him and grandpa priced three tractors in 1966. A 1206, a 4020, and a 1100 Massey Ferguson. The mechanics at the IH dealership were so fascinated with the 1206s horsepower they said you drop a hitchpin in that and pop the clutch you'll break the hitchpin. Far fetched from reality, but they both thought it maybe had too much power for they're needs at the time. So what did they buy? The 1100 Massey. Dad said they picked the poorest one of the 3, lol, even though they had good luck with it. Dad still wanted a 1206 yet in 1987. We went to Yoder and Frey in Archbold Ohio i think December of 87 with plans to buy it together. There was a 1206 there, dad bid on it, brought 2800.00. Went to pay and found out it didn't sell. They gave us the guys number from Pittsford Michigan. Called but no answer. We went home and dad called him after milking that night and the guy said he wanted 3000.00. Dad said we'll give that. Well the guy had already drove it back home to Pittsford. Being tight, dad didn't want to pay for trucking so we both took turns driving the dam thing back from Pittsford Michigan. I drove till south of Lyons Ohio and dad the rest. Took 6 1/2 hrs. No heat, so you dressed appropriate. The guy had paperwork from everything done the last 500 hrs. I still remember, 6 new pistons, 5 new cylinder sleeves. New main and rods. Used ring and pinion set. New ta. We ditched the ICB and put fenders on. Repainted it and dad ran it on the 6 row 7000 with a cultiplanter in front of it. He also sidedressed corn with it. I never cared for driving it. If it got below 50° you better have a long extension chord or a can of nose candy otherwise it wouldn't start. Never cared for the shifting either. I bought his 1086 in 1988 and applied my half interest of the 1206 to the 1086 plus some money. Dad got tired of the 1206 and sold it in the spring of 1996 to someone from Indiana. I haven't missed it a bit. This is the only picture of it we ever took the day we brought it home December of 1987. It had 5800 hours. When dad sold it 7200 hours. I think every age group has they're tractor of choice. In my area seems the people in they're 20s and 30s fancy the 50 series tractors.

KIMG1894.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a 1206 with the original solar turbo just has it's own unique whistle if you have ran one under load or tractor pulled one you would understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now