Missouri Mule

1206 prices??!!

So I was just doing some usual lurking on tractorhouse and was browsing the 1206's. I know they are neat looking and somewhat unique in color. But what makes them worth double the prices others. Granite several on there are painted up but I don't get it. Anyone have an idea what makes them special? Im not saying there bad by any means.

IH's first designed from the start turbocharged row crop tractor and its most powerful at the time.   Also I believe the 18.4 x 38 tire was developed for the 1206. It seems its one model that people really take advantage of, paint it up with a 25 foot paint job and put it on Tractor House for 20K$!

1 hour ago, TomH said:

IH's first designed from the start turbocharged row crop tractor and its most powerful at the time.   Also I believe the 18.4 x 38 tire was developed for the 1206. It seems its one model that people really take advantage of, paint it up with a 25 foot paint job and put it on Tractor House for 20K$!

The 18.4x38 was not developed for the 1206. It was developed and used before the 1206 was produced

well most people, including me think the 1206 is the best looking tractor ever built.

41 minutes ago, RKO said:

The 18.4x38 was not developed for the 1206. It was developed and used before the 1206 was produced

International i read in updikes book 1955 to 1985 or somewhere that they worked with good year i believe to make a better 18.4 38 tire to stand up to the 1206 hp

1 hour ago, RKO said:

A heavy duty 18.4 x 38 is what I meant.

2 hours ago, Gleaner k2 said:

International i read in updikes book 1955 to 1985 or somewhere that they worked with good year i believe to make a better 18.4 38 tire to stand up to the 1206 hp

Just before I started on the tire desk Farmall had a problem with tires slipping on the rim.  Makes a terrible mess instantly!  Rips the valve stem out of the inner tube, instant flat,  have to have tire truck make a service call into the field, $$$$$. New inner tube,  and no guarrentee it won't slip again.  Could be slightly oversize tire bead, or could be slightly undersize rim bead diameters.  Tire company points finger at rim companies,  rim companys point finger at tire company. If the farmer had a tire service put CaCl in everybody points at the tire service.  Everybody is mad at everybody else and the Farmer is afraid to run his new tractor.

I think the problem before I was involved was with BFG ttires.  Nobody wants to talk about those situations.  Another thing we frowned on was tires exploding when inflated, tire beads, the high tensile steel wire in the tire beads breaking or blowing holes in the sidewalls.  We never had any of that happen when I was around.

3 hours ago, Gleaner k2 said:

Companies work with tire companies all the time. The 1206 was no different. There' was already a tire heavy enough. 

Muscle tractors of the 60s generally bring good prices.  Production numbers are lower compared to the 806.  Add in the historical factor of the 1206 plus some tractors just have the “it” or “cool” factor and that’s why the prices and demand.  Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t mind having one but I am much content with my 1256 which is basically the same tractor for a fraction of the price.

30 years ago in our area a 1206 1256 1456 were worthless. They were frowned upon and just considered scrap iron. They all got sold to wreckers or shipped to Wisconsin. You couldn't get 2000 for any of them and a 806 would bring more money. Neighbor had a 1456 that was avg and motor was excellent brought 2200 in 97 I had what you would consider an above avg standard 1206 I paid 2000 for couldn't get 4500 for it.

46 minutes ago, dale560 said:

30 years ago in our area a 1206 1256 1456 were worthless. They were frowned upon and just considered scrap iron. They all got sold to wreckers or shipped to Wisconsin. You couldn't get 2000 for any of them and a 806 would bring more money. Neighbor had a 1456 that was avg and motor was excellent brought 2200 in 97 I had what you would consider an above avg standard 1206 I paid 2000 for couldn't get 4500 for it.

Not anymore! 

2 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Just before I started on the tire desk Farmall had a problem with tires slipping on the rim.  Makes a terrible mess instantly!  Rips the valve stem out of the inner tube, instant flat,  have to have tire truck make a service call into the field, $$$$$. New inner tube,  and no guarrentee it won't slip again.  Could be slightly oversize tire bead, or could be slightly undersize rim bead diameters.  Tire company points finger at rim companies,  rim companys point finger at tire company. If the farmer had a tire service put CaCl in everybody points at the tire service.  Everybody is mad at everybody else and the Farmer is afraid to run his new tractor.

I think the problem before I was involved was with BFG ttires.  Nobody wants to talk about those situations.  Another thing we frowned on was tires exploding when inflated, tire beads, the high tensile steel wire in the tire beads breaking or blowing holes in the sidewalls.  We never had any of that happen when I was around.

Shortly after I started working for an IH dealership in 1975 we had a fatality when a bead broke and blew the wheel, tire, and installer 14 feet in the air knocking the open overhead door off its track. 18.4 x 38 being mounted on a steel wheel for a dual. Not something I ever want to see happen again.

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

Muscle tractors of the 60s generally bring good prices.  Production numbers are lower compared to the 806.  Add in the historical factor of the 1206 plus some tractors just have the “it” or “cool” factor and that’s why the prices and demand.  Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t mind having one but I am much content with my 1256 which is basically the same tractor for a fraction of the price.

X2

Tony

30 minutes ago, Owen Aaland said:

Shortly after I started working for an IH dealership in 1975 we had a fatality when a bead broke and blew the wheel, tire, and installer 14 feet in the air knocking the open overhead door off its track. 18.4 x 38 being mounted on a steel wheel for a dual. Not something I ever want to see happen again.

Large rear farm tires are low pressure tires,  but can still be quite deadly if they blow.  I had a front tire on a Cub Cadet blow out as I was airing it up years ago,  that's 6-8 psi, and my ears rang for an hour.  Had lots of semi tires blow near me from the relative safety of the truck cab or passing car.  Truck tire with 90-100 psi is like a bomb going off. I don't need that kind of excitment in my life anymore.  Think I'll pick up a clip-on tire chuck next time I'm at Farm & Fleet so I can stay farther away from tires when inflating them.

Anyone see an air compressor tank turn itself inside-out when it blows up?  Was a small 12-15 gallon tank on a 90-100 psi single stage compressor, knocked an interior and exterior wall of my uncle's garage off the foundation.  Just imagine what my 80 gallon 165 psi compressor could do?  Probably blow my whole shop up.

8 hours ago, RKO said:

So what tractor was it used on before the 1206? Remember this is pre June 1965. The story given to me when I worked at JD was that the 18.4-38 was developed due to International having slipping problems on the originally planned 18.4-34 tires on the 1206. Similarly the 20.8 -38 was developed due to John Deere needing a larger tire for the JD 4520 tractor. It was also released for the 5020 tractor at that time .

Wow, I didn't know tractor tire explosions were so deadly. I guess with the lower pressure I felt more comfortable. I'll make note of that. I've only had one tractor tire blow and it was a front... and mounted at the time. Sounded like a shotgun. The tire had a failure and the inner tube came through.

1 hour ago, George 2 said:

So what tractor was it used on before the 1206? Remember this is pre June 1965. The story given to me when I worked at JD was that the 18.4-38 was developed due to International having slipping problems on the originally planned 18.4-34 tires on the 1206. Similarly the 20.8 -38 was developed due to John Deere needing a larger tire for the JD 4520 tractor. It was also released for the 5020 tractor at that time .

John deere 5010. Also oliver. Along with construction. This has been talked over several times. 

57 minutes ago, RKO said:

John deere 5010. Also oliver. Along with construction. This has been talked over several times. 

Pretty sure the 5010 was never offered with 18.4-38s.  Grandpa bought a new 5010 in the spring of 1965 and it had dual 34s.  And he complained about them not being enough tire for the tractor.  I still have the ops manual so I could check. He traded it for a 5020 in 1968 and it had dual 38s.  

2 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Pretty sure the 5010 was never offered with 18.4-38s.  Grandpa bought a new 5010 in the spring of 1965 and it had dual 34s.  And he complained about them not being enough tire for the tractor.  I still have the ops manual so I could check. He traded it for a 5020 in 1968 and it had dual 38s.  

Tractor data doesn't list 18.4 38 as a tire option for 5010 either.

8 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Large rear farm tires are low pressure tires,  but can still be quite deadly if they blow.  I had a front tire on a Cub Cadet blow out as I was airing it up years ago,  that's 6-8 psi, and my ears rang for an hour.  Had lots of semi tires blow near me from the relative safety of the truck cab or passing car.  Truck tire with 90-100 psi is like a bomb going off. I don't need that kind of excitment in my life anymore.  Think I'll pick up a clip-on tire chuck next time I'm at Farm & Fleet so I can stay farther away from tires when inflating them.

Anyone see an air compressor tank turn itself inside-out when it blows up?  Was a small 12-15 gallon tank on a 90-100 psi single stage compressor, knocked an interior and exterior wall of my uncle's garage off the foundation.  Just imagine what my 80 gallon 165 psi compressor could do?  Probably blow my whole shop up.

A FRIENDS DAD GOT KILLED WHEN A AIR COMPRESSER TANK BLEW UP. JUNKS OF TANK STUCK IN THE WALLS.

3 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

Tractor data doesn't list 18.4 38 as a tire option for 5010 either.

There' was several 5010 JD row crops sold in this àrea with 18.4 x38. Friends still has has dads.  You cant go by tractor data look at 856 they only list 18.4x38 for it. There' was a lot more sizes than that.

8 hours ago, RKO said:

There' was several 5010 JD row crops sold in this àrea with 18.4 x38. Friends still has has dads.  You cant go by tractor data look at 856 they only list 18.4x38 for it. There' was a lot more sizes than that.

I think you will find that the 5010's with 18.4-38 tires were ones produced after the 1206 introduction. That is after June 1965 production. Same I think applies to the Olivers. I also know the 20.8-38 development was partly paid for by Deere for the 4520 and 5020 tractors. At least that is what I was told when I worked for them. 

35 minutes ago, George 2 said:

I think you will find that the 5010's with 18.4-38 tires were ones produced after the 1206 introduction. That is after June 1965 production. Same I think applies to the Olivers. I also know the 20.8-38 development was partly paid for by Deere for the 4520 and 5020 tractors. At least that is what I was told when I worked for them. 

The 5010 was not productes in 1965 The 5020 was being produced in 1965.   

One my friends has of his dads is a 5010

Dont know the correct answer to this tire thing but i also have a book at home stating ih had trouble with tires slipping on the 1206 and that they worked with tire company on it.

Some pictures out of official deere book. Seems that row crops were not introduced until after 5020 but tractor house has a 5010 advertised.enlarge them and read the captions and one from another bookIMG_1692.thumb.JPG.ef14b7b756036d0630ae6032aaf48268.JPG

IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1694.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG