Well I finally did it.  Backed my old gleaner into a tree limb few nights ago😒😢.   

I don't do but a few acres of corn or beans really can't justify buying a expensive replacement.      Found a f2 gas cheap. Buying it to get done this time.  But have ran across a 1440 with 13' bean header price seems ok . But he isn't going to sale till after season.    But it doesn't have electric over hyd  (not even real sure what exactly that covers).   

But my main question is what is electric over hyd.   And how big of a deal is it?   FYI.  My last combine was a   F.  gleaner  

I'm not an 1440 expert but I'm going to guess this machine probably has lever controls instead of just pure electric switches. Coming from a Gleaner you should be able to appreciate a 1440 pretty easily!

First couple yrs of 1440, 1460, first yr 1480s had manual hyd controls - the hand running the lever was physically running the control valve. When the 1420 came out, and the following yr the rest of the axials, received electric switches running solenoid valves - therefore the only connection between your hand and the valve doing the work is electrical.

Electrical is far more like modern machines, which makes it less tiresome to run, and more desirable to buyers.

Thanks that's pretty much what I figured.   But when comparing to other ones on the internet they keep bringing up that it had the electric . I pull hyd leavers all day no big thing.   Yet lol. 

Another question will that affect witch bean heads I can use

4 minutes ago, dannyredfan said:

Another question will that affect witch bean heads I can use

I believe you can retrofit either the cable/mechanical style AHHC (automatic header height control) on the 820 and on the 1020's, but the 1020s are much more common with the electronic system and the 1020 seems like it involves a few parts and linkages.  I haven't checked parts availability, but it shows that a kit used to be available on CNH's part search.

Most electric control machines have auto header height. The old twin stick machines are hit or miss as to weather or not they have the cable style header height control or are full manual.

A non electric over hydraulic combine relies on a nitrogen canister for auto header height . If cables are nice and free moving you can cut soybeans with a 820 head  as good as a 1020. 1020 heads are elec over hyd . 820 heads are cable controlled . For around 300 bucks you can put poly skids under them 

Thanks for the help so far. I have not been around axial flow combines. My family quite row crop when I was 8or9 years old.  88/89.  But keep most of the farm (I digress).       Now iam slowly over last ten years building up a stock of equipment, so now time to upgrade combine.   I know there are a lot better but my pocket is pretty shallow .          It's a 1440 non electric 13' header. And wagon 6000.  3100 or so separator hrs.  Second owner. 

I mi am only doing about 25 acres now.    Was up just over 100 with my F. But to much travel so dropped everything that wasn't close to the house now just playing around.

Want my kids to understand how this works 

What is the difference between a1440 -1420 . Seems like most of the 1420 have electric hyd.      But I would think it was older ?      I have been shopping online 😒now iam getting confused lol. 

1420 was introduced later in the 1400 series run. I don't know what year exactly.

The 1420 was the smallest 1400 series made. Had the D358 engine in it. Parts are unique to the 1420/1620 unlike the bigger 1440 on up. So cheaper aftermarket parts aren't as plentiful as the bigger combines are. 

I wouldn't be afraid of a 1420. We used to have its predecessor. A 1620, the only difference was it's newer obviously and ours had the 5.9 Cummins instead of the D358 IH engine I'm it.

14/1620 had 20” rotor 40/60 were 24”. I think the 80’s were 30”.

We use a "cable controlled"  non-electric over hydraulic 1440 with a 1020 head as our dedicated "bean combine".  It has auto header height control and works great. Instead of a cable to connect to a potentiometer on the head, the cable goes from the head to a valve on the left side behind the ladder on the combine. You do not have to use the accumulator "nitrogen cylinder" to have it work. I keep the valve closed on ours and the auto header is very smooth.

The 1420s I have seen are narrow and only have one discharge spinner on the back with a smaller rotor, think it is 20". The 1440s and 1460s are essentially the same machine with a 24" rotor, except for the turbo on the 1460 and the heavier front axle, final drives, and hydrostat pump and motor. The 1480 is about a foot wider with five augers in the bed under the rotor instead of four on the 40/60 size machine. The 1480 also has the larger 30" rotor.

We have both the electric over hydraulic and cable controlled combines and they are both easy to use, however, have had less trouble with the cable controls than the electric controls. Have had some mouse eaten wires and a couple of solenoids go bad and stop the newer electric controlled combines while the ol' cable controlled 1440 keeps chugging along.

Something to be said for mechanical.

54 minutes ago, ChrisNY said:

Something to be said for mechanical.

I agree. It's a big reason for the boxcars being superior to the MX series in most all ways

On 11/4/2017 at 7:28 AM, dannyredfan said:

What is the difference between a1440 -1420 . Seems like most of the 1420 have electric hyd.      But I would think it was older ?      I have been shopping online 😒now iam getting confused lol. 

All of the 1420's came with electric over hydraulics.  The entire line (1440, 1460, 1480) switched to electric over hydraulic after the 1420 was released in 1981.  If you are looking for information on axial flow combines, try googling Axial Flow TImeline or document GH-2165-13 from CaseIH.  It gives you years and serial number ranges for the various feature updates and model introductions over the years.