Sign in to follow this  
Amo

Hot shot secrete fuel/oil additive

http://www.hotshotsecret.com/shop/stiction-eliminator/

I was an idiot and bought a Ford 6.0.  Well 220K miles on original injectors.  I get an ocasional miss on #4 that comes and goes as it wishes.  Having another issues with it, so mechanic called someone in Iowa about it.  He suggested this product to add in the oil to clean the injectors.  Just curious if anyone else had used it.  

I've used a expensive cleaner from john deere with some success before. The engine in our hitachi hoe had a slight miss on a cold start. Gave it a couple of good strong doses and it's been fine ever since. Tried it in my duramax last winter with no noticeable difference though. It started to get a slight miss when it was cold. In part because of a bad glow plug though too I suspect.

My experience with the 3 6.0s I've had just change the injector because it's going to be junk before long. 

Join 6.0 club i like ford trucks hate the engines! Had 5.4 spark plug issues! Bought a old chevy malibu for work beater its a 98 but built in 97 first year when they come back out and found out they did some changes right away and parts are more expensive i seem to buy all the problem childs when it comes to vehicle's! 

Amo:  I have an 06 with 202k on it.  What you have is called "Stiction".  It is stickiness in the hydraulic spool valve that controls the injectors.  What you want is Arcoil AR9100.  This stuff  is better in my opinion than Hot Shot Secret or Rev-X.  It goes in the oil.  I have used it and it works well.

http://www.archoilcart.com/ar9100-16-ounce-friction-modifier-4.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5biDzIKb1wIViVmGCh2cPwm0EAQYAiABEgL45PD_BwE

I had a 04 6.0 for 6 months.   (With the whole bulletproofed stuff done)   Tried REV X, maybe it helped a little not sure.  It only had 95K on it but even after a new FICAM and a rebuilt turbo it still missed on one sometimes 2 cylinders. I was told the only way to really fix it is to replace the injectors. These additives will help but won't eliminate the problem. I fixed it once and for all by trading it on a 2002  7.3.

150,000 to 200,000 miles is the life expectancy of those injectors.  I replaced all 8 last February with 180k on them.  Fuel mileage was dropping and I didn't want to wash down a cylinder or lose a tip when one failed.  @$225 each with a core charge.  I did the work myself in a long weekend.

Amo:  Go over to The diesel stop.com.  I am on there regularly and there are some very knowledgeable techs there, include on of the Ford transmission engineers who helped design the transmission.  Also watch DieseltechRon and Mukulco on Youtube.

1 hour ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Amo:  Go over to The diesel stop.com.  I am on there regularly and there are some very knowledgeable techs there, include on of the Ford transmission engineers who helped design the transmissions.

Yeah, I bet Mark Kowalski has helped 5000 people with transmission problems if he's helped a dozen.  Maybe 10,000!   Back around 2000 when I spent lots of time there he posted answers to transmission problems all day every day.  Guy knows his OBS trucks!

Question, regarding the HEUI fuel system. Do the CAT 3176 and Navistar DT466E and HT570 also have stiction issues? Or is it more so with the PSDs because of the higher HP rating and less oil capacity than the medium duty engines?

The 6.0 is the only one I've heard of that has the problem consistently. Has to do with the dual spool valves that open and close the injector. The 7.3 uses a spring to close. I think the 6.0 was supposed to give much faster throttle response. The dual valves get worn over time resulting in the stiction issue.   The Archoil web site talks about it in pretty good detail.

Well, $225 isn't bad.  I was under the impression that they were around $1000, just the injector.  Maybe that's o.e.m., idk.  Ya, I've heard that's the lifespan of the injector and fimiliar with"stiction".  Didn't know that was the term. 

Guess I bought a bottle yesterday.  My one question is how do you guys use it.  The person my mechanic visited with said to dump it in and run for couple hours before oil change.  Kinda what I'm thinking.  Then it says so many ounces for prevention.  I'll probably skip that.  I guess I'm not against replacing injectors.  Since a 6.0 is higher maitence than the average female, I've reregilously used fuel additive.  So hopefully that side of the injectors are decent.  With the way the markets are, I hate to dump a lot into it.  Replaced the ficm 1/2 shell and one other thing already trying to figure out the other problem.

Seen a comment about fuel economy.  How much change was there.  I bought it with around 70K I think.  220K now and get the same I always have, 13-17 used as a car.  I have an sct (I think) chip.  Tried all the settings, and doesn't change much.  I have no clue what setting it's on now.  I'll ask someone what setting to have it on, and never get the same answer twice.  Chips are a joke for MPG IMHO. Kinda doubt it, but is there a certain injector that's better for mileage?  I do pull with it some.  Being my main personal vehicle, 95% of it is as a car.  I don't want to mess up it's ability to tow either.

7 minutes ago, Amo said:

.  I'll ask someone what setting to have it on, and never get the same answer twice.  Chips are a joke for MPG IMHO. Kinda doubt it, but is there a certain injector that's better for mileage?  I do pull with it some.  Being my main personal vehicle, 95% of it is as a car.  I don't want to mess up it's ability to tow either.

01 cummins gained 3 mpg hand calculated with the programmer, and gained power so I think some are better than others. Quadzilla adrenaline...

The problem with chips in the 6.0 is that many can cause headgasket issues.  I don't know if yours has had the headgaskets replaced and the torque to yield factory bolts replaced with ARP studs or not.  If not, chips are a gamble.  

AR9100 is added to the oil and run for the full oil change.

Auto Nation White Bear Lake always has good prices on Ford parts.  I printed it out and took their price to my local Ford dealer and they matched it, thereby saving me shipping both ways (don't forget about shipping on the cores).  Looks like the prices have come down more.  $181.00 for Motorcraft remans.  They supposedly have a modified and improved spool in them to help with stiction.  Only time will tell if that is true.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/6.0-l-injectors-6.0-fuel-injector-2004-2010-from-9-22-03-cn-5019-rm-note-sale-price-includes-a-refundable-180.00-core-charge-4c3?parent=1073

I get about 16 MPG with no chip.  I was down to 14 before changing the injectors.

Yes, I was aware of the bolts/head gasket issue at time of purchase.  I specifically looked for one that hadn't been chipped.  It was a veternarian's pickup.  No chip, and only pulled a squeeze chute.  Bought it in April.  Got EGR removed and changed oil cooler, and all the other random issues it had in November when I found a shop that would work on a 6.0.  Shop that did it recomended a chip.  I really didn't want it cause I thought it was hard on injectors and yes the head gasket issue.  Well, he said on the lightest setting it should help with mpg....sales pitch, IDK but I bought one.  Well, that next April heads got cracked.  So, it has ARP studs and new heads with gaskets.

Have you flushed your cooling system and changed to the red Cat EC1 extended life coolant yet?  I highly recommend it as the Ford Gold stuff plugs up your oil cooler.  A coolant fiilter also helps with that.

Sinister Diesel has a coolant filter kit for 6.0, highly recommended, has filtration media, not just chemical release. 

On 11/1/2017 at 2:25 PM, Rawleigh99 said:

Have you flushed your cooling system and changed to the red Cat EC1 extended life coolant yet?  I highly recommend it as the Ford Gold stuff plugs up your oil cooler.  A coolant fiilter also helps with that.

No.  Didn't know about the Cat product.  EGR is gone and new oil cooler.  I do remember a little bit about cavation or needing a coolant filter. When the heads got changed, new antifreeze.  Then I blew radiator hose last fall, more fresh coolant.   Never a flush, mechanic didn't think it was needed. So I think im pretty good in that respect for right now.  Something to keep in mind though.  

I spose if I keep it much longer, I should do a filter

Well blew radiator yesterday!  Going to switch to red extended life coolant.  

Talked to my nephew who works at a Mack dealership.  He said they is to use CAT.  Said it's so overpriced there dealership sell something else.  

So is this like debating hytran vs hydraulic oil?

I use Peak Final Charge, its Cat EC1 rated and not too expensive and easy to get. Remember that when using these type of coolants not to use SCA additives or a SCA charged filter. If you use a filter make sure it is a "blank" type with no additives.

24 minutes ago, TomH said:

I use Peak Final Charge, its Cat EC1 rated and not too expensive and easy to get. Remember that when using these type of coolants not to use SCA additives or a SCA charged filter. If you use a filter make sure it is a "blank" type with no additives.

My concern with switching is availability.  Ive heard a wee bit about cavation/electrolsis on a 6.0.  If egr is gone, is antifreeze flow through oil cooler that big of an issue?

17 hours ago, Amo said:

My concern with switching is availability.  Ive heard a wee bit about cavation/electrolsis on a 6.0.  If egr is gone, is antifreeze flow through oil cooler that big of an issue?

You can always order your coolant on Amazon if you don't find it locally.  The biggest thing for the oil cooler is regular cooling system maintenance, the cooler has very tight passages and clean coolant is essential to prevent plugging.

I hate to say it, while the 6.0 is a great running motor when it works, you might think about looking for a decent 7.3 truck or an affordable 6.7 liter model. You can only throw so much money at it!

Any ELC coolant that carries the Cat EC-1 rating is OK.  AS said to not use SCA or a loaded coolant filter with this coolant.  You can get unloaded coolant filters from Wix or NAPA.  I have not heard of any cavitation issues with the 6.0 as it is a non sleeved engine.