Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

Plastic gas tank repair

Recommended Posts

So I bought this car for my wife that had a fuel leak, got it over the Pit to investigate today, looks like squirrels tried to chew around the edge of the sump. Easy to get to and it's one dry inside. I am going to replace it over the winter but would like to get the last snow free week or 2 out of it. Are there any epoxy type repair kits available? Anyone with suggestions? If it wasn't right there I'd try to put washer screws and RTV in it but I'm afraid I'd hit the pump. They are tiny pinholes , I assume when the critter got a mouthful he moved over, I can't imagine what he wanted in there. 

IMG_4502.JPG

IMG_4503.JPG

IMG_4504.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure there are MANY otc mixtures out there.

Me? I heat a putty knife with a propane torch, rub a comb on it and smear the goo into the crack.

Have fixed many batteries that way also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MTO said:

Sure there are MANY otc mixtures out there.

Me? I heat a putty knife with a propane torch, rub a comb on it and smear the goo into the crack.

Have fixed many batteries that way also. 

Think I'll blow up?

....and where does a bald guy find a comb? It is a problem for those of us that are folically challenged ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I`m sure any flexible plastic will work. I used one of my plastic windshield wedges when I didn`t have any combs. 

Batteries didn`t splode yet... yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NAPA makes a very good kit. Good for steel and plastic tanks. Wax "crayon" to temp. plug the hole for repair. Layer of epoxy. Fiberglass cloth. Another coat of exopy. Easy and permanent. Repair on the curve is no problem. I have fixed a couple of fuel tanks and a black water tank on our camper. Success on them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 12_Guy said:

NAPA makes a very good kit. Good for steel and plastic tanks. Wax "crayon" to temp. plug the hole for repair. Layer of epoxy. Fiberglass cloth. Another coat of exopy. Easy and permanent. Repair on the curve is no problem. I have fixed a couple of fuel tanks and a black water tank on our camper. Success on them all.

I used a permatex one on my dad's grey tank, don't think it was rated for gas, that lasted a few years... have to look into it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

J-B WELD has worked for me.  J-B WELD is slow drying in cold temps------might want to set a drop light nearby to keep it warm for several hours.

DD 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

J-B WELD has worked for me.  J-B WELD is slow drying in cold temps------might want to set a drop light nearby to keep it warm for several hours.

DD 

 

 

x2 , fixed a plastic water trough 3 years ago then sprayed it with flex in a can as seen on tv. no leaks and the cows have jumped in it and pushed it around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems the squirrels just must like to gnaw. They gnawed the plastic fuel cap on my log splitter and chewed through the plastic hydraulic control lines in my bucket truck A mouth full of hydraulic fluid couldn't have been pleasant. What a PITA replacing all those lines! Now it's squirrel jihad at my place. Get near the house, shop, or barn and it's 20ga time. They steal my paper towels and make a general mess.

JB weld did stick to the fuel cap but I have no idea if it would have been permanent as I replaced the cap a few weeks later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PTex? Light well away from the tank, blow out, then smear it on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a guy in Riverside, CA weld my plastic tank on my 09 Chev after someone tried to steal the gas by drilling a hole in the bottom corner.  He welded it up in 5 minutes for $10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to use the correct type of plastic to weld it. You might get lucky with plastic you have lying around but it's a guess at best. It needs to be clean too. Isopropyl is good to clean it. 

Any dirtbiker caries a tube of "quickmetal". It's a two part epoxy. You break a piece off and need it to blend. It gets hot and goes off in minutes. Sets hard as anything. 

I did a lot of  plastic welding in the mines. You could extrude that and fix it permanently in about 5 minutes. Not sure on the legality of fixing a fuel tank over there in the states though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bleedinred said:

PTex? Light well away from the tank, blow out, then smear it on.

I thought of that. I actually work weekends in the tuning/repair shop at my local mountain, I was wondering about a trip up to steal a PTex gun

4 hours ago, 5088downunder said:

You need to use the correct type of plastic to weld it. You might get lucky with plastic you have lying around but it's a guess at best. It needs to be clean too. Isopropyl is good to clean it. 

Any dirtbiker caries a tube of "quickmetal". It's a two part epoxy. You break a piece off and need it to blend. It gets hot and goes off in minutes. Sets hard as anything. 

I did a lot of  plastic welding in the mines. You could extrude that and fix it permanently in about 5 minutes. Not sure on the legality of fixing a fuel tank over there in the states though. 

Extrude it? I'm all ears, how do I do this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get one of the Devcon epoxies engineered for plastic.  Clean it good and fill it.  If you want extra strength, embed a piece of plastic screen in it.  You can also spring for one of the plastic welding kits from Harbor freight, but a soldering iron will do just as good a job!  Your tank probably has the stamp embossed on it saying what kind of plastic it is.  Probably the same as an old antifreeze bottle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An extruder is a proper plastic welding machine. They heat and use a roll of the appropriate type of plastic. Expensive machines that a plastic welder will use. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 5088downunder said:

An extruder is a proper plastic welding machine. They heat and use a roll of the appropriate type of plastic. Expensive machines that a plastic welder will use. 

 

We have one of those at the mountain, but I had never heard it called an extruder. It's bolted to the wall and hasn't been used in years, wish I had it, I have used it before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I melted and filled with HdPE plastic, different color but same material. Then epoxy reinforced the whole thing with the stuff in the tubes, it's what Webb recommended to fix the grey water tank. Right or wrong here we go.

IMG_4513.JPG

IMG_4516.JPG

IMG_4517.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this