Sign in to follow this  
MTO

Running at max rpms

During my search for an affordable operators manual for my Case 1840,  I`ve come across a few skid steer websites. 

It surprised me at how many times I`ve heard posters tell others to run their SS at max rpms and adjust travel speed etc  hydraulically .

Now I don`t run around idling but I only rev it enough to achieve enough lifting/bucket power as needed. 

I don`t wanna beat this little "comings/cummings" cummins unnecessarily but  am I wrong in NOT running it WOT?

And no, it isn`t slobbering either. 

I've always been told it's easier on hydrastats and hydraulics wide open. BUT I am of your opinion. I run my 763 which is comparable at about 3/4 throttle unless I'm really using it.  If I run a breaker or bush hog I am wide open. I figure more air to cool the hydraulics. Most operators I've watched pretty much pour the meat to em. 

I always run engines somewhere between their torque peak and hp peak. Depends on how much HP you need and how big a hurry you're in.

I usually wrap my skid steer up pretty good, but only wide open if I'm going down the road and need the speed. Same with my 186 hydro. Hydros don't like to idle around.

I typically run full throttle, but my machine is small enough that full throttle is needed for most jobs. If I'm running in tight spaces I'll back the throttle off because it isn't needed

Worked at New Holland dealer for a bunch of years back in the day. New Holland said "run at rated RPM". You get better hydraulic response in both the loader and the hydros.

Also having worked on engines out of skid loaders, it is a fact that the ones that are run wide open will be cleaner inside the engine.

You should be fine running it like that I have a 1845c with close to 9000 hours and I'm sure only a third of them have been wfo and other than ware parts we haven't touched it. I think the newer small displacement turbocharged engines need to be run faster just to make power. 

Always ran WOT when doing barn detail. Only time I would throttle back is when getting in/out or working machine with someone close by. Running at rated speed also ensures cooling system is working at the speed it should.

I use the foot throttle and adjust my rpms for the task. If running  hydraulic driven mowers etc I set the hand throttle wide open but loader task just putt around. When you run wide open the Kobota engine drinks fuel on my Gehl CTL 85. The machine is very strong and if you ram a pile of dirt  at full throttle you are asking to fix something

Foot throttle for most control, hand control just off idle to keep from stalling,

I can't stand running a skid steer at wot. To herky jerky....

1 hour ago, amsashooter said:

Worked at New Holland dealer for a bunch of years back in the day. New Holland said "run at rated RPM". You get better hydraulic response in both the loader and the hydros.

Also having worked on engines out of skid loaders, it is a fact that the ones that are run wide open will be cleaner inside the engine.

We have run 7 of these case skidloaders full throttle. Hours exceed 11,000 to 26,000 hours and nothing done related to wot operation. ( 75xt we did do a head gasket around 22,k hours and it threw a rod @26k hours when it was run without enough oil:(

Oil change interval average between 5-12 hundred hours also. Bulletproof engine that 3.9 is 

I run hand foot controls wot most of the time unless loading on trailer of working close to people.  For pilot controls I tend to run foot throttle to control speed, just hold lever forward and very throttle unless Harley rake or mower.  4000 hrs on C185 and uses no oil between changes.  Last 865 had 5000 hrs and no oil usage with it either, both have run wot most of their lives.

bitty that is a lot of hours I wonder what others get for use. I understand on some of these large farms they run 24 hours a day.

40 minutes ago, pt756 said:

bitty that is a lot of hours I wonder what others get for use. I understand on some of these large farms they run 24 hours a day.

The 75XT would probably be running still but dad was away for a week and the other person who was running it didn't check the oil. Oil pressure sensor was leaking from the wire and kaplunk

2 hours ago, edwardporter1 said:

I use the foot throttle and adjust my rpms for the task. If running  hydraulic driven mowers etc I set the hand throttle wide open but loader task just putt around. When you run wide open the Kobota engine drinks fuel on my Gehl CTL 85. The machine is very strong and if you ram a pile of dirt  at full throttle you are asking to fix something

I could tell we have the same machine when you mention the thirsty Kubota engine lol. 

For just loader work around the yard and piling bales I'll run it around 3/4 throttle. Even for landscaping. But when I'm pushing bush, or doing lots of dirt work, mowing, etc it's wide open. But the foot throttle is really nice. Actually, the more I think about it, I don't actually run it wot that much.

But yes, it is taught to run them wide open. Like has been said, easier on the hydraulic system.

I have always ran SS loaders wot  as well as my 186 unless to much PTO  rpm.  Hydros seem to like lots of oil flow.  AC seems to cool better with more rpm.

I don’t feel you would hurt a thing not running full throttle if you don’t need it.  The farm I work for trades skidsteers every 5000 hours.  We trade 3 per year. We have Caterpillar now and used to have Bobcat.  We have 13 machines total.  The two machines that get used the most get 2000 to 2200 hours a year.  After a year we switch them to feed push-up duty.  All of the ones until tier 4 came we had set at 3/4 throttle.  The cats with tier 4 they adjusted the ground speed and hydraulic sensitivity so they won’t go quite so fast.  We are in confined areas most of the time and don’t need the speed.  Never had any trouble with the Kubota motor.  The Perkins Cat uses we have had 2 fail.  One got overheated and scored a cylinder wall and one the oil pump got weak.  

I believe it's a bit of a myth to a certain point. No you shouldn't be trying to go as fast as you can at idle and lug the motor down but running the motor comfortably above idle and maneuvering around the yard isn't going to do it any harm either in my opinion.  I've heard the argument both ways before. Personal experience is on our 90XT skid steer with 5500 hours on it. Owned it since new basically. I never run it wide open. Just wasteful for what we are doing.

The hystat pump prefers the higher RPMs. Faster RPMs means the pistons travel a shorter distance to produce the same amount of flow. When the pump is working at maximum displacement the pistons are traveling much farther out which means they have less support.

Any sort of load you should run it 3/4 to WOT. Idling around the yard, wide gradual turns, it will be fine.

Seldom ran the Case 1835Bs I have around at full power.  The "oldest" is the one my dad bought new.  Gas engine that has never been apart, but why should it need to be with only 13,000 some hours on it.  I did have the valve cover off once to check the valves and replace the valve cover gasket.  Top of the head was clean, no sludge at all.  No hydro pump or motor failures either.

21 hours ago, Paystar5000 said:

I don’t feel you would hurt a thing not running full throttle if you don’t need it.  The farm I work for trades skidsteers every 5000 hours.  We trade 3 per year. We have Caterpillar now and used to have Bobcat.  We have 13 machines total.  The two machines that get used the most get 2000 to 2200 hours a year.  After a year we switch them to feed push-up duty.  All of the ones until tier 4 came we had set at 3/4 throttle.  The cats with tier 4 they adjusted the ground speed and hydraulic sensitivity so they won’t go quite so fast.  We are in confined areas most of the time and don’t need the speed.  Never had any trouble with the Kubota motor.  The Perkins Cat uses we have had 2 fail.  One got overheated and scored a cylinder wall and one the oil pump got weak.  

Thats alot of skidding around.  Where you work Paystar?  Do you still load with skid steers too?  We have 1 60xt and just bought a 40xt for the dry cow place and 2nd dairy we are arranging.  I know we dont use it a ton.  Have feed push tractor and a wheel loader and 2 loader tractors.  BUT, cleaning maternity pen and calf pen, helping cows, grabbing x and y, cement work, general building stuff, I cannot imagine not having one anymore.  Got the 60xt in 2012 iirc for good price.  Figured if we dont use it we'll just flip it.  Ha...from my cold dead grip now

47 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Thats alot of skidding around.  Where you work Paystar?  Do you still load with skid steers too?  We have 1 60xt and just bought a 40xt for the dry cow place and 2nd dairy we are arranging.  I know we dont use it a ton.  Have feed push tractor and a wheel loader and 2 loader tractors.  BUT, cleaning maternity pen and calf pen, helping cows, grabbing x and y, cement work, general building stuff, I cannot imagine not having one anymore.  Got the 60xt in 2012 iirc for good price.  Figured if we dont use it we'll just flip it.  Ha...from my cold dead grip now

I work on a 5000 cow Dairy.  Have worked there for 18 years.   I work in the shop as a mechanic.  There are milk cows at 2 farms and heifers at the other two.  It's all within a ten mile radius.  We have wheeloaders to feed with but use the skidloaders for everything else.  We have alley scrapers for most all the cows and heifers but still clean centers, walkways, and holding areas with skidloaders. 

I've had three all used to me 1st one a1740 case mechanical drive neighbor is still running it had d188 case engine has 12,000 hrs last time serviced by me other 2 were 1845's a B and C massive hydro failure on the C at 2,000 hrs. had to replace everything and rebuild all cylinders wash out all lines and tank was told by hydro shop that low rpms likely caused secondary pump to fail sending metal shards throughout system. food for thought cost me more than I paid for machine just to repair it $12,000. Just bought my fourth its a newholland lx565 used to me less than 1,000 hrs on second dash is down now waiting no new alternator to come in. $191.00 +shipping been great machine so far major culture shock trying to get used to ISO controls instead of H pattern as I've only used it maybe 10 hours so far russ            

We were told to run our 1840 case wide open and we did had 12000 hours on when we traded never touched it! Gehl 5635 had foot throttle so used it accordingly it did get a rebuild at 5000 hrs do to turbo rubber boot failure and now has 13000 still goin case 60xt foot throttle ran accordingly 18000 hrs still goin and our old 1066 hydro ran wide open its whole life 25000 + hrs one rebuild in it! So up to you may get more engine hours out of it but if you burn a extra half gallon per hour of fuel at $2 a gallon in 10,000 hrs by running wide open vs accordingly thats extra $10,000 in fuel if my math is right guarantee a new engine be cheaper! 

23 minutes ago, Gleaner k2 said:

We were told to run our 1840 case wide open and we did had 12000 hours on when we traded never touched it! Gehl 5635 had foot throttle so used it accordingly it did get a rebuild at 5000 hrs do to turbo rubber boot failure and now has 13000 still goin case 60xt foot throttle ran accordingly 18000 hrs still goin and our old 1066 hydro ran wide open its whole life 25000 + hrs one rebuild in it! So up to you may get more engine hours out of it but if you burn a extra half gallon per hour of fuel at $2 a gallon in 10,000 hrs by running wide open vs accordingly thats extra $10,000 in fuel if my math is right guarantee a new engine be cheaper! 

It's the hydrostat that has the potential for more issues from running under rated speed. We just had a problem with the 465 case skidloader in the hydrostat and I am fairly certain it cost more than rebuilding the engine would have :(