Missouri Mule

Lets see some steps

So for my 756 I just bought I have everything to make an identical step as the k&m steps. I don't do the handrails. I have seen a lot of guys get pretty creative and make nice steps that have a toolbox built in and some even make a nice little step to fuel up on. It occurred to me that maybe since I still farm with these that I could make a nice and neat step that's handy and looks nice? Wondered if anyone has any pics of steps they have built that they like. Maybe this has been brought up but hey, we have to talk about something.

Are these steps made by someone? I was thumbing through tractorhouse looking for step ideas and must of seen 4 or 5 just like it. Looks homemade with a toolbox built in but there is no way I could have seen that many homemade the same way.

step.jpg

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

Are these steps made by someone? I was thumbing through tractorhouse looking for step ideas and must of seen 4 or 5 just like it. Looks homemade with a toolbox built in but there is no way I could have seen that many homemade the same way.

step.jpg

Got one real similar on a 560  i bought few years ago. In one of my books is a color pic of a 560 new at dealer with a man sitting on it and has same tool box/step. Have wondered about origin of these too.

dads 856 has a step/toolbox just like that, ill have to ask him if that toolbox came with the tractor when grandpa bought it new in 68 or 69. i made a battery box/step for my 706 after i got it, it had an f25 farmhand loader and a rear entry cab on it when i got it which i removed, so i needed a step and battery box. ill have to get pictures and have my wife post them on here for me. the steps i made arent fancy but they are functional, just used some iron that i had laying around.

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Got one real similar on a 560  i bought few years ago. In one of my books is a color pic of a 560 new at dealer with a man sitting on it and has same tool box/step. Have wondered about origin of these too.

That 560 you are referring to was not new, the tool box was a aftermarket add on. Lots of those tool box/steps added in my area.

Ok so maybe not new but pretty new. Always wondered if it was a ih accessory or an aftermarket add on. Must have been pretty common back then in some areas. Mine lifts out of bracket so you could carry it to where you were working im guessing. Do all of yours as well?

Similar one on my 706

Mike

20170424_135020.jpg

K&M used to offer the bracket to mount the #10 in place of the step on the side. The last time I called them for one the salesman said he'd never seen one. So had to make my own for the 706. A little high if you have short legs. 

KIMG0488.thumb.JPG.4d91c9d06c6640b47ee0f3494a7e5f87.JPGKIMG0489.thumb.JPG.4dc706dfc22d7ddf02834fa41aacd8f3.JPG

Had the tool box modified on my 826 to fit behind the loader.

KIMG0492.thumb.JPG.8aab8ec3a0d52e1245b6106ad8d6ccb8.JPG

2 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Ok so maybe not new but pretty new. Always wondered if it was a ih accessory or an aftermarket add on. Must have been pretty common back then in some areas. Mine lifts out of bracket so you could carry it to where you were working im guessing. Do all of yours as well?

Aftermarket.

I want to say someone had a old advertisement for that tool box/step that they scanned and posted on here sometime back, growing up I never seen a IH tractor that didn't have the step/tool box and a aux front fuel tank.

finally got some pictures and some help from my wife to get pictures posted. like i said they arent fancy but are functional  

IMG_1895 (1).JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

Here's the easy mount and dismount steps we build for our 66 series Cab less tractors,  two  3/4" x 1-1/2" bolts hold the complete step assy, easily removed for access to under side of tractor area, hand rails are attached to existing sheet metal mounting, also round up the operators floor board to prevent toe banging - also very easy access for fueling from either side

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

Easy walk down

DSCF0010.JPG

Right side step and extended hand rail

DSCF0008.JPG

I have a bracket like that new that I never knew what it was for.  Now I no it goes with a k&m tool box step.

On 11/23/2017 at 9:40 AM, FarmerFixEmUp said:

K&M used to offer the bracket to mount the #10 in place of the step on the side. The last time I called them for one the salesman said he'd never seen one. So had to make my own for the 706. A little high if you have short legs. 

KIMG0488.thumb.JPG.4d91c9d06c6640b47ee0f3494a7e5f87.JPGKIMG0489.thumb.JPG.4dc706dfc22d7ddf02834fa41aacd8f3.JPG

Had the tool box modified on my 826 to fit behind the loader.

KIMG0492.thumb.JPG.8aab8ec3a0d52e1245b6106ad8d6ccb8.JPG

That same toolbox on my 1486 and an M I restored a few years ago. We call them Tractor Supply toolboxes around here.

20150417_192231.jpg

20170831_165052.jpg

Here's pictures of our easy mounting steps and hand rails. We build for all our 504 and 606 Farmalls, much easier on and off than the old one step system with no hand rails - left side step assy. , mounted with two, 3/4 x 1-1/4 bolts

DSCF0001.JPG

Right step and grab handle

DSCF0004.JPG

Left hand rail

DSCF0003.JPG

On 11/25/2017 at 8:45 PM, Ruby Red said:

Here's the easy mount and dismount steps we build for our 66 series Cab less tractors,  two  3/4" x 1-1/2" bolts hold the complete step assy, easily removed for access to under side of tractor area, hand rails are attached to existing sheet metal mounting, also round up the operators floor board to prevent toe banging - also very easy access for fueling from either side

DSCF0007.JPG

Did your seven come from the factory with wedge lock wheels?

8 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Did your seven come from the factory with wedge lock wheels?

Steve, yes this tractor has the factory wedge locks, it has always been a local tractor and we are the 3rd owner, she's high houred and wore out several sets of tires, still a very good solid work horse.

Carl

These are the latest version of what we are making for our 66 series. Battery box incorporated into the right side holds two group 31 thread post and a disconnect switch. 

We are stirring and hauling stage 1 manaur today. Wind is cold hence the cardboard vice gripped as a wind breaker

Makes fueling a breeze

IMG_20171208_103700884.jpg

IMG_20171208_103630382_HDR.jpg

Nice steps Bitty. Bet it does make fueling nicer.