Sign in to follow this  
Chuck1225

IH-McCormick Model MF(?) drill,

First off, my apologies for having disappeared for so long.. (Unless you were getting used to me not asking random, annoying questions, in which case, I’m sorry I’m back.) 😂  I could never remember my password, and tonight I finally reset it. I’ve been around, usually popping in at least once every week or two just to see what was going on.. but I digress.

The other week while scrolling through Facebook, I came upon an ad a guy had selling some random equipment for an older lady. We talked, and I agreed to drive to Findlay, OH to take a look.. I grabbed a friend, hopped in my Jeep, and made the trek down. Well, admittedly my phone was my GPS on the way down and, due to a charger cord error, was nearly dead when I got there. So sadly, I didint get to take any pictures, and instead I just have what had been posted to the ad. What I did find, in addition to a menagerie of Ford, Massey, and a few other brands, was a very nice condition IH-McCormick grain drill, last used and serviced in 2005, ready to go for the ‘06 season, and stored since, due to a death in the family. (my amateur detective work has led me to believe it is a model MF, with the optional grass seeder on the back) Nothing appears broken, bent, seized, or worn out (though the bottom of the fertilizer hopper is.. interesting. Could you pull it out piece by piece or something? It looked sorta like a jigsaw puzzle in the dim lighting. I don’t plan on spreading fertilizer with it anyway, but it would be nice if it worked, just so I had the option.)

There was also a lime drop-spreader, which was covered with so much dust and dirt it was hard to see anything other than the red paint. I’m hoping it was IH, because of the white wheel rim, but I know that’s a long shot. It was in a hard-to see, hard-to-get-around area of the barn, but I took a chance anyway, since everything else had been so well cared for.

I put a down payment of $60 on the two, and will be heading back down in a week to pay the rest and bring them back on a trailer. (I had full intention of taking a trailer last weekend, but it fell through.. which is actually a happy coincidence, because otherwise I wouldn’t have had enough with me to cover the lime spreader, not to mention the guy helping sell the stuff would have had to spend a few hours trying to get the two Massey combines parked in front of it running.)

They’re some good people, and we talked for quite awhile.. The actual owner came out and grilled me for a bit on who I was and where I was from, and what was I going to do with it.. She made me promise not to scrap it, and wished me the best of luck with my ambitions to start farming.

98897D6C-13A6-4F03-98D4-88CDB79E19F3.png

80EE7DD2-4ABD-48FC-B878-0172D0353045.png

9FFFDF0A-2F0D-4DBC-A4B0-40163F660723.png

C40A4088-FAD9-4201-AE7B-D8869847DC0E.png

Yes it looks like an MF grain drill. I have one a whole lot like it tho my grass seeder attachment is mounted up high and on front. Yours was an option , obviously. 

Thought i had some pics of mine but guess not at moment.

It's a decent drill.  The rope pulls really hard.  I'm not real sure if that is just on mine or on all of them.  I use mine on 50+ acres a year.  Pulling the rope get's a little old!

2012-07-29_15-59-44_44.jpg

They were available with hyd lift as well. Mine has it. Doesnt look like his does tho. Looks like both of yours are double disc openers? Mine has single curved disc opener of which i need at least 1 replacement.

Yep, mine’s double disc. No hydraulic lift, unfortunately, but maybe I can find a parts drill with one if I get lucky. Thanks for the replies guys!

Mine is single disc.  I broke four brackets.  One was being stupid, two broke backing into the shed, and the other is a mystery.

It looks like my scrapers need a lot of attention.

To this day I have no idea how to oil the openers.  The only way my grease gun will pump oil is holding it upside down.  BUT the oil slowly leaks out if you leave it sit.  😤

Think i just greased mine with regular grease gun grease. Think originaly you were suppose to use 90wt? Tried to take and post some pics out of manual last night but it cut off some of my pics so not all was gonna show up. Might retry later today.

Mine was bought from a local scrap guy who wasnt very nice to it when he loaded it on his trailer. I have 1 bracket i had to weld up and needs put back on. One of openers is split but will still turn. Needs a few other things too but overal its in fair shape. Still works pretty good.

20171030_162636.jpg

20171030_162609.jpg

20171030_162743.jpg

20171030_162928.jpg

20171030_162952.jpg

20171030_163111.jpg

20171030_163121.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! I’m sure those’ll come in handy! Yeah, loading/unloading is my biggest worry. We’ll have a 16 foot car trailer to haul them on, he’ll have his Bobcat to load with, and my friend has one to unload with, I’m just trying to go over the best lifting points in my mind.. Granted, this isn’t his first time doing this, so I probably shouldn’t be too worried

This guy used an old end loader with forks on it and wasnt planing on doing anything but scrapping it till i saw it on his trailer. Chain up carefully and you will be fine as long as loaders big enough to handle the weight. I unloaded it with my 400 and loader iirc.