Sign in to follow this  
Missouri Mule

impliment hitches

My brush hog has the ball and socket style hitch that is rigid mounted. I don't know the proper name of it, but it flat out eats draw bars if I let it. My old baler used that same crap design and I used a cat 2 or 3 implement pin and bolted it to my draw bar. This left it sticking up in the draw bar and it kept it from slopping around and eating the top of the drawbar. This bush hog I have to do the same. Sometimes if I am in a hurry I just use a hitch pin and I shouldn't without a hammer strap. What should I be using here? Years ago I had a hitch for a old john deere haybine that slid over the drawbar and you drop you pin in it and it stuck further back with a pin sticking up that the haybine set on and then a lynch pin held it on. Essentially it was the same thing I do with a cat 3 threaded implement pin with 2 big washers bolted to the drawbar. The problem is I don't feel this is strong enough and I have to take it off every time and I always worry the nut will come loose even with a lock washer. I wish I had a picture because im sure this is hard to follow

You can get some kind of plastic washer. We used the 3pt pin for our M&W mower with the same style hitch

Alan

This is an older one I found online with the style hitch I am referring to. So you can see where a cat 2 or 3 , threaded implement pin bolted to the drawbar would work ok, but I wonder what else is out there.

018002.jpg

The guy I work for has a woods 15'  with the same hitch. He has a small hammer strap that bolts to the drawbar . Small hole in front of hitch pin hole. 1/4" by 3-1/2" strap bent in two 90* with a hole on top flat for hitch pin and small hole on bottom flat to bolt to the drawbar. If I have you confused yet, I will try and get a picture with measurements in the next few days 

Alan

My mower has the same hitch. I use a 3/4” grade 8 bolt some washers and a cat 2 to 3 spacer. I put one washer on the bottom below the pivot ball, then put the spacer in and another washer on top. Tighten the bolt and lock it with a double nut. This makes the mower turn on the pivot ball not on the draw bar. Plus if the ball does turn the lower washer is the sacrifice surface not the drawbar. 

Matt

I have a woods mower with the same hitch, used to use a cat III pin also but was a pain to have to tighten the pin and then remove it afterwards and would have to jack the mower a lot higher to connect it to the tractor. Couple years ago I made a hammer strap for the 966's drawbar and it works good. I made it with only one bolt so when I'm not using it I swing it back towards the tractor. 

14 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

The guy I work for has a woods 15'  with the same hitch. He has a small hammer strap that bolts to the drawbar . Small hole in front of hitch pin hole. 1/4" by 3-1/2" strap bent in two 90* with a hole on top flat for hitch pin and small hole on bottom flat to bolt to the drawbar. If I have you confused yet, I will try and get a picture with measurements in the next few days 

Alan

Yah I believe that is called a hammer strap. I have one for my 656. It gets In the way about as much as it helps. I made it from 3/4'' bar stock. Its beefy. But that still lets it eat into the drawbar unless I use one of those plastic washers. Ive never bought any but I have a whole sheet of the stuff. I could make a couple and try them.

2 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

I have a woods mower with the same hitch, used to use a cat III pin also but was a pain to have to tighten the pin and then remove it afterwards and would have to jack the mower a lot higher to connect it to the tractor. Couple years ago I made a hammer strap for the 966's drawbar and it works good. I made it with only one bolt so when I'm not using it I swing it back towards the tractor. 

exactly. its a pita!  Now see the one I made I used 2 bolts and I could probably swing it back out of the way.

I used a grade 8 I think 5/8" bolt with a metal lock nut and not super tight so l can just tap it out of the way with the hitch pin and tight enough that it doesn't freely swing and get in the way. 

http://lundellplastics.com makes HitchSaver for under $10. Or when I pulled 3 pan Woods mower  @ Hwy. Dept. I made a poly washer out of truck mud flap & used a hammer strap.

6 minutes ago, Rainman said:

http://lundellplastics.com makes HitchSaver for under $10. Or when I pulled 3 pan Woods mower  @ Hwy. Dept. I made a poly washer out of truck mud flap.

Buy a sheet of poly from Mc Master or some other supply house and you can make them for pretty cheap.