Sign in to follow this  

Rotor speed on corn

What do you guys run for rotor speed on corn? Using a 2388, at 5 mph, 14% and 125 bu corn, rotor at 370 and concave at 4 plus, I am still grinding more than I'd like. I know it's dry and that may be most of the problem. It's going in a bin and the few loads that I hauled to elevator didn't have any dockage. Just curious on what everyone thinks. 

20171028_175403.jpg

With corn that dry I would have the concave hanging on the bottom and have the rotor down to 330. We are in 230 bu corn at 17% at your current settings with an 8 row head at 4.2 mph. No fines and throwing whole cobs. We have a standard rotor and no chopper, hence the whole cobs. Oh our machine is a 1680.

I didn't know how far to drop concaves, there is a space between cage and concaves now. Cobs are mostly whole but chopper gets a few. I'll slow rotor more and possibly drop concave. Chaffer is around 1/2", and shoe is a little less. Chaffer could be closed a little, getting a few pieces of trash too. Have heard that running rotor too slow grinds also because cobs can't get out quick enough

Concaves at 4, Rotor at 300 rpm, 5.5 mph in 250 bpa corn 16% 6/30 Gearinghoff head on 2377.  Not a cracked kernel in the tank.  AFX rotor.  With the grain cart we are getting close to 2000 bushels per hour.

jerry

Rotor 300 concave at 4.6 2388

Shoe sieve needs to be wider than chaffer. 3/4 of inch works good, it also directs air towards your chaffer sieve.

Don't want return elevator sending corn back to get ground. Clean the corn with Chaffer sieve

If I run concave to wide it breaks the cobs up.

Many ways to skin a cat, main thing is we want corn to end up in the bin 👍