IHKIWI

Ih gas v8 into 706

Hi guys , I'm curious if anyone has put an IH gas v8 engine (345/392) into a 706 tractor???

seems to be plenty of "M" Farmalls out there with these engines fitted....what about 706 etc????

Any body keen to share some pictures of how some of these conversions have been done, particularly adaptor plate and flywheel set ups

just curious, thanks

Heath,NZ

There was a topic here a year or two ago about a "708",  706 with a 7.3 L IDI engine from a 1988 to 1994 Ford pickup if I remember correctly.  A search here should find it.

we are gonna try to build that adapter this month for the 7.3 along with a way to mount an Ih flywheel to it. 

I recall I saw a 756 with an IH gas V8 at the 2014 Red Power Roundup. 

Here is the link to the 708

Would a V8 make for an easier fit for a 706/756 gasser conversion - assuming not as long setting in the frame and with it, the gasser frame rails and sheet metal would not need altered?

Question is - is the 7.3 or the 6.9 diesel suitable for all day tractoring vs a show piece?

Thanks for all your input guys, much apprciated😉

7.3 would be the biggest waste of time and good tractor!---I just got screwed on mine in a ford f-350 truck!---first up at 99,000 light miles, the whole top end went out!--turbo/glow plugs/injectors/high pressure oil pump/several smaller things.---$4,000.00 later and it still has a knock in it , also hard to start at times and a real pooch in the power department. ---My half ton pickup has a 300 gas in it and will out-pull the diesel 10 to 1.  ( diesel is 97 and gas is 96, both have same amount of miles on them).

If you want show/trailer queen/something different,--go for the 7.3!---If you want a work tractor put an 806 motor in it and hang on to your rear!---I have a 706 that has the big motor and it will dig.---- bad thing is the 5-6 or more gallons of gas per hour to run it.

I knew a guy west of here that put a 345 in an M, and he said the power was there but he couldnt afford the gas!!! LOL!!!thanks; sonny

13 hours ago, SONNY said:

7.3 would be the biggest waste of time and good tractor!---I just got screwed on mine in a ford f-350 truck!---first up at 99,000 light miles, the whole top end went out!--turbo/glow plugs/injectors/high pressure oil pump/several smaller things.---$4,000.00 later and it still has a knock in it , also hard to start at times and a real pooch in the power department. ---My half ton pickup has a 300 gas in it and will out-pull the diesel 10 to 1.  ( diesel is 97 and gas is 96, both have same amount of miles on them).

If you want show/trailer queen/something different,--go for the 7.3!---If you want a work tractor put an 806 motor in it and hang on to your rear!---I have a 706 that has the big motor and it will dig.---- bad thing is the 5-6 or more gallons of gas per hour to run it.

I knew a guy west of here that put a 345 in an M, and he said the power was there but he couldnt afford the gas!!! LOL!!!thanks; sonny

Wow, what exactly started all those failures on the 7.3L PSD?  Most of those things have nothing to do with each other. like glow plugs and turbo, and injectors, but the under valve cover wire harnesses run to both glow plugs and injectors.  My '96 7.3 has 300,000 miles and has had one set of glow plugs, no injectors or injector o-rings, turbo is fine, pulls like new still.  I wore out two 300-6's, a carb'd and EFI version, gutless wonders only useful in a light duty EMPTY pickup. My 300-6's got 12-14 mpg,  7.3L gets 18-19 mpg and tows more that the 6's could pull on three trailer loads 

To be honest, sounds like a repair shop had a bunch of new old stock 7.3L parts on the shelf and got rid of a bunch of slow moving inventory into your truck.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:12 PM, Ed Leaman said:

we are gonna try to build that adapter this month for the 7.3 along with a way to mount an Ih flywheel to it. 

Ed, I might have an old M that I want too put an idi 6.9/ 7.3 into

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:01 AM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Wow, what exactly started all those failures on the 7.3L PSD?  Most of those things have nothing to do with each other. like glow plugs and turbo, and injectors, but the under valve cover wire harnesses run to both glow plugs and injectors.  My '96 7.3 has 300,000 miles and has had one set of glow plugs, no injectors or injector o-rings, turbo is fine, pulls like new still.  I wore out two 300-6's, a carb'd and EFI version, gutless wonders only useful in a light duty EMPTY pickup. My 300-6's got 12-14 mpg,  7.3L gets 18-19 mpg and tows more that the 6's could pull on three trailer loads 

To be honest, sounds like a repair shop had a bunch of new old stock 7.3L parts on the shelf and got rid of a bunch of slow moving inventory into your truck.

I agree Doc as I have a 97 and she pulled good until my turbo went at 300K and my 2003 runs like a dream and has all the power a pick up should have 

We are getting closer, But I would like to see a close up picture of the 708 at the frame rail end and adapter plate, pretty sure the top bolt on frame rail is going to be unused. Looks to me that you would need to chop on the block to get them usable. As far as the V-8 gas IH into an M versus 706; The same plate would work in either application, the difference and tricky part is getting the flywheel in the right spot and getting the bolt pattern in it.  anyone interested in a really different gas application look for a 605 (10 liter) IH, apperas to have same rear bolt pattern as the DV 550 so plates are somewhat available, flywheel pattern seems to be the same as well so 14" flywheel and clutch is possible

close to 300 hp stock,

IH V8's were notorious gas hogs. Like 4 MPG. I would fix the 706 engine.

14 hours ago, R Pope said:

IH V8's were notorious gas hogs. Like 4 MPG. I would fix the 706 engine.

The 478 gas V-8 in the LoadStar I drove was more like 3 mpg.  Heard guys say the 549 gas V-8 was 2 to 2-1/2 mpg.