Sign in to follow this  
Missouri Mule

storing corn in bulk bin

I picked up a decent sized bulk feed bin from the neighbor cheap. I am wanting to use it to store some surplus corn until I can grind it for feed or sell it when the price comes up a bit more. This will only hold 400-500 bushel so its not a lot, but its more than I have at the moment and every little bit helps. My plan is to use it for feed or surplus grain, whichever is needed at the time. The same guy works at the local coop and said they have been paying $2.90/bushel for corn roughly. OUCH! Anyway I am a little concerned it may not keep as good in there. I could rig up a way at the bottom to blow some air up through the bin. All of my corn is pretty dry under 15%. What do you  guys think I can get away without it molding in there? My other setup I don't have to worry as much about this. Thanks

Under 15% you should be fine

1 hour ago, ChrisNY said:

Under 15% you should be fine

I agree with this ^^.  I have seen small fans installed on smaller bulk tanks but for dry corn like that I can't imagine it ever hurting anything. Corn should flow out better than feed. Seems like the ones I've seen feed in would sweat a little during temp changes and some would stick to the sides of the tank once in a while. 

If the corn is good quality, dry and free of bugs and the bin is watertight, it will be fine. If you leave it in there for several seasons without air movement then deterioration will occur. We used a bulk bin to keep corn for calves a few years ago. The last of it was a little sour......

Thanks fellas. I was certain it would be but as expensive as corn is to plant I really didn't want to waste 400 bushel. I will grind it out first probably within a month or two. Once it gets cold I start burning through it. I figure at 2.90 I'd rather creep feed it to my calves. Atleast I get some satisfaction. I have everything else full and even used an old open crib we haven't used in years in the old hog house. It only holds 500 bushel too and we have to take a sheet of tin off the roof to auger it in. But it stays dry. Atkeast in there it gets air. Critters find it pretty quick and so do weevil. Little buggers. I wonder how many others are just holding on to corn like me? Atleast I have cattle to eat it up.