So one of the pieces that I have to get home from my grandpa's place is a 1949 International TD9. I remember it being one of grandpa's favorites but I don't remember how to start it. There are all kinds of videos out there but no real step by step instructions on how to start one of these things and that would be the best way to get this thing out and loaded if I can and I'm willing to give it a shot. Can anyone help?

Assuming it was running ok when last used, and the engine still turns freely, this should work: 

After checking that your fluid levels are good, and that your gas and diesel shut off valves, if so equipped, are open, try this:

Have the decompression lever in gas mode, and have the choke button at least halfway out. Your diesel throttle should be at the very bottom position. 

If you have an ignition button that is separate from your starter, move it to "on". Start turning it over, if it does not fire, try a bit more choke.. Hopefully it will fire up for you. 

Let it run in gas mode for a few minutes until the engine starts to "smooth out" , or your temp guage starts to climb..

At this point, simultaneously move the decompression lever to diesel mode and move your diesel throttle to about half throttle. It should switch over to diesel at this point, at the same time shutting down your gas side .. 

Hope this works for you. I have a 91 series TD9, so the the levers and throttles are a bit different, otherwise I would send some pics.. 

Good luck  !

Grant

Grant gave you good instructions. I had to learn all about the TD6 that came from my uncle. I didnt have a clue as to how to start or run it. Didnt even know what handles were what. Guys on here helped a lot. The books should give good step by step with pictures. That helped me a lot. I kept going through the start up and shut doen info till I figured it out. So thats step 1! Doesnt mean your tractor will start right away.

Good battery, fresh gas for the little tank, Diesel in the big tank, maybe go through and make sure the plugs are good and the ignition system is good including wires, points, condenser, clean up cap and rotor contacts (if equipped). They crank slow. If you can get it to turn over your getting close. Turn your gas petcock on, pull/set your gas lever to the down position.Choke out a little. Crank it. Should fire on gas within 15 seconds. Go to harbor freight and get a in line spark tester to assure you have sparky.:)  When you get it starting and running good on gas you can begin to play with the diesel side. Setting that long, my guess is you will need to prime the fuel filters, Instructions in books) and possibly bleed each injector as its running on gas. Once you have diesel to the injectors and air purged you are ready to move the diesel lever up and at the same time move the gas lever up. Should begin to fire on diesel.

We definitely need pictures!

Regards,

Chris

that as close as I could explain it decompression lever {gas to diesel switching lever} is on left and diesel throttle is center of dash starter lever is right side of dash next to choke push pull knob good luck russ 

This is the ole girl now, every piece of glass is in perfect condition. When Grandpa moved everything into town (town is a population of 33) that is the first time he ever let the TD9 sit outside, but that was a long time ago. It always ran like a Top, he just got to the point that he stopped using it. Everything turns freely so far. Here are some pictures.

IMG_20171001_142411619.jpg

IMG_20170923_155046610.jpg

That is a fine looking machine. And it looks like you have the correct operator sitting in the seat. Good luck with it.

George

Nice looking tracks (what I can see) the pads look like new :)

Love the Bucyrus Erie blade ,and the lights

Good Luck with it and please keep us posted ,

12 hours ago, russ said:

that as close as I could explain it decompression lever {gas to diesel switching lever} is on left and diesel throttle is center of dash starter lever is right side of dash next to choke push pull knob good luck russ 

Being that old the starter switch might be a metal loop on the lhs below the petrol lever - unless it has been changed.

And after you know that the fuel is through the filters you can do the final bleed by opening the diesel throttle while running on petrol.  The smoke will tell you when it is bled.

Edited by Ian Beale
extra

Thanks for the picture of what your working on! This should run! I agree with others good looking 9er! Have fun!

Lots of folks that can help. Ian has forgot more than I will ever know about these. That's a great suggestion about bleeding the injectors simply by opening the diesel throttle control lever while running on gas.

Hope it is a much fun for you as I had when I first fired up the TD6. Wished my uncle would have been there!

Lights and sheet metal look great! Hard to find those lights. They are $100 each.

Regards,

Chris

4 hours ago, sugarmaker said:

Ian has forgot more than I will ever know about these.

Don't get to depend on that!

Thank you All for all the help, I plan on going up there this weekend to see if I can get it going. It's about 2 1/2 hours away so I always load everything I think I'm going to need and head out. The young man in the seat is my 7 year old, he thinks that it should be his tractor since Dad got the 706. he told me "it's probably as tough as him." I did find a winch hiding in the tall grass that has 1/2" cable on it gear and chain driven and has a pumpkin from an International truck (the size of a Dana 08 or 90) I wonder if its something for this TD9 or something Grandpa made. I'll get pictures next time I go up.   

nebraskagrunt,

Tell your son to be careful what he wishes for! These machines tend to hold there own against all elements and will be around after most of us are gone! Get him involved.

You have a family tractor they can get attached to us!

I remember Uncle Jacks TD6 back when I was a kid. Never had any idea I would own it. In fact I am not sure you own these? You just get a chance to work on them for the next generations! I was pushing dirt in the sand box at 5 years old. Rode with my uncle in his GMC dump trucks to the gravel pit to load it with the TD6 machine. 60 years later I am pushing dirt with this same TD6! I have a great grandson that might own (work on this) this 20 years from now! The machine will be 85 then. Just sayin!:)

Your steering clutches may be a problem after setting that long ?.  Hope not! That is what kills some of these machines form getting saved. No good way to check them till you get it running and pull the handles and hit the brakes!

Kickin back !!

Chris

Thats great that you bring your story up. I actually do get to bring them home as mine, and a real neat deal is the very first tractor I ever drove it the 706D that I already got home and running but I still have to go get the Loadstar 1600 that was the first truck I ever drove(Grandpa used to sit me on a Farmall Cub tire drop it in low then walk behind and load bales). I talked to my uncle the other day and he said that they drove it over there took the battery out for something else and just let it sit so it should run with ease.(let's hope so.) I'm pretty excited to see if I can get everything up and running again, they might not be painted and looking like new but I've always liked the term functionally beautiful.

Your hooked!:)

Regards,

Chris

Just note to everyone after Sugarmakers comment you have to make it run to tell if steering works,not true.  All of the old gear drive crawlers can be towed and then you can tell if the steering works. If you can get it out of the dirt where they have settled in a 30 hp on up wheel tractor should move a much bigger crawler on level ground of course. 

Just yesterday I drag home a Cat D6 of the same age as these IH crawlers. The Cat had not moved in 15 years at least,engine had run out of oil and was left open for many years. And a hive off  bees had made a steering clutch compartment home. Spent 2 months with it opened and bees removed 99% of the honey and 90% of the comb. Seemed like things where stuck,but loosened the brake adjustment and jerked it back and forth. This one had to come off a mountain  so I used another old D6 so if brakes stopped working I could still hold it back. But in the yard to move them my 45 hp utility tractor is enough. But if rusted up and not rolling I have not been able to move a Cat with a equal size Cat. 

So hopefully things will go well for you with this little dozer Nebraskagrunt. Yes get that little right in the middle of your tractor fun.

Ray,

Whe I wrote that I thought about towing one, but I have never done that so really couldn't speak to that very well. Sounds like you had your hands full getting a CAT off the mountain!

Listen carefully: I think I hear Nebraskagrunt wrenching on a TD9! Looking forward to a full report in the morning!

Regards,

Chris