Sign in to follow this  
Pete1468

What I've been doing today

On 10/28/2017 at 6:30 PM, yellowrosefarm said:

Since we have a couple of gravel guys here, can someone explain the different grades of gravel? I've used 3's, 57's, crusher run and rip rap but I know there are other types that may be better for some projects.

We used 1.5" limerock /limestone for base material &  3/4" limerock for shoulder material. If Limestone is watered in & compacted , it holds up well on shouders. Limestone pits are common in our county. We called it pit run for back filling . Lime chips or pea gravel or coal slag are used for seal coat cover material . 

Here there are limestone quarries everywhere.  East and South limestone is sticking out of the ground in a lot of places.  Around Nashville there are at least 10 within 30 miles of downtown.  3" is usually used as a drive base.  Surge is 12" down and is the least expensive since it is whatever comes out of primary crusher and no screen. for larger fills.  Crusher run is about the same and is used on top of bases, pug is the same with water added so it packs when dumped so it cost more cause of water adding weight.  Concrete guys want 1/2" cause it rakes out like sand, some use 3/4.  1 1/2 is common on construction drives or 2-3".  I use D-dust, some call it 1/4 down since that's what it is for base on horse rings and around horse barns.  Course there is lime and rip rap which is 6"12".  Don't really know the numbers on each so no way to help on that.

On 10/28/2017 at 9:43 AM, Kevingweq said:

We did actually save the rock , It broke into some very nice pieces ,  But the intent of breaking it up

was just to get it out of the leach field area for the new septic system being installed

The leach field design is called a "Presby System"  one of the few

alternative systems allowed in Mass,  It can be installed only 2 ft out of the high ground water

table vs  4 ft for conventional pipe and stone systems

59f481b02e701_framinghamnixonrock007.thumb.jpg.d67e9a409558724d1ae074e2b3225716.jpg

59f4825739ff6_framinghamnixonrock004.thumb.jpg.b7e750dc057727a154ed57cf2e02a2d6.jpg

The entire system will be under pavement when done ,So easy accessibility to the tank and distribution box

was necessary . Along with heavy duty (H20 load rated) tank and D-box with risers.

Aside from all that ,the homeowner parks his 40 ft long Freightliner motor home in the drive .

59f481e65bb72_framinghamnixonrock005.thumb.jpg.d13d0181fee5460337af93f2ee314e2b.jpg

59f48512e9888_framinghamnixonrock008.thumb.jpg.d2db953ca342577afa8af9e80a6f7842.jpg

The large concrete block out in front of machine will be used for motor home leveling jacks

59f4881abe1b8_framinghamnixonrock006.thumb.jpg.ba30cea36f1ef426cf66d206d014917e.jpg

Is that a vent pipe going up by the garage? How much sand under the pipes?

I'm hoping my system last forever but just in case... I don't want one of the mounds I see around. Our tank is so old it has horse shoes cast in the lids for hooks.

6 hours ago, New Englander said:

Is that a vent pipe going up by the garage?

Yes vent pipe ,  6" sand under 6" over ,   

I didn't load this, it went by today, but it has a total weight of 194,000 legal weight, 20 axles, 600 Hp with an 18 speed.  The other day it was 45 mph wind he could get up to 50 mph and 2.5 mpg.  I'm trying to get his empty weight.  

KIMG0301.JPG

Empty weight of 70,600 lbs, glad I don't have to buy tires.

40 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

I didn't load this, it went by today, but it has a total weight of 194,000 legal weight, 20 axles, 600 Hp with an 18 speed.  The other day it was 45 mph wind he could get up to 50 mph and 2.5 mpg.  I'm trying to get his empty weight.  

KIMG0301.JPG

At some point 2 trucks would make sense id think.

I wouldn't want to drive it but you only have  one truck to maintain and only pay one guy.  Plus only one registration and insurance, that's a huge savings right there.

On 10/30/2017 at 3:57 PM, Rainman said:

We used 1.5" limerock /limestone for base material &  3/4" limerock for shoulder material. If Limestone is watered in & compacted , it holds up well on shouders. Limestone pits are common in our county. We called it pit run for back filling . Lime chips or pea gravel or coal slag are used for seal coat cover material . 

We had a gravel pit a couple miles from our shop  and material was perfect for cold mix , just load and haul. When we mixed cold mix blacktop we hauled in 700 yards in the a.m. used a Blade  to dry material a couple days , then ran it thru a Barber-Green mixer that was powered by an IH 6 cylinder gas start diesel. After mixed , cold mix was stock piled until we were ready to wedge state and or county roads.