Sign in to follow this  
Futuredairy

Orange Question

I was running an Allis-Chalmers 180 today while I was disking and after about 45 minutes of pulling (I was in 5th gear with a 10' disk in loamy soil) it crawled to a stop.

Took it out of gear, put it back in, let the clutch out, and after about 20 seconds it started moving again.

Is the clutch going out?

Not very fimilar with them , I don't know ? But I belong to the Aliis Chalmers forum also , I would run it by them to ,more poeple you reach out to the better !  They are more than willing ot help ya like here ?

Just thought of this , you can try , lock both brakes on rear wheels and put it in gear and slowly let out clutch . If it stalls engine , clutch is holding ,, if it doesn't more than likely clutch is slipping,. .🚜👀🤔 do the clutch rod linkage adjustment perocedure and retry the clutch test . 

If it is the clutch split it safely (never ddid AC so bare with me ) on a level pad with heavy duty jacks stands with wheels to move the front of the tractor out from the blocked stationary rear end . I use long thread rods to detract the front , never let goe of front end meaning it will line back up to rear end . Going back together 

List of things clutch list  check stock on all recommended parts are available before tear down cause that will really mess up that day. 

clutch kits , pressure plate , clutch , thro out bearing pilot bearing , alignment tool , probably missed something. Check out clutch rods, pins levers

must do , is take flywheel to machine shop to resurface the flywheel that way they can spot any crack over .5 inch and stop , you will nee to get new flywheel . 👍 Check out shops to make sure they can do the proper machine of your flywheel . 

Also if they have them buy a IT  repair manual at Somebody like TSC . 

I f I miss something and I did, please do all that is recommended ,you really don't want to do this over cause something got omitted . 

Keep asking questions of anybody cause there's  a lot to do , not difficult with proper tools and planning . 

This job will take awhile so 

Ggod luck 

Could be low on hydraulic oil and the 2 speed clutch slipping too. Or the 2 speed is out of adjustment too. Change your hydraulic filter and check the oil level first. 

Power director (hi / low)   needs adjustment or is going bad. Check the filter and make sure its ok 

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Not sure why I didn't get notifications about your replies sooner, but I appreciate them the same

One of our head mechanics seems to think it's the main clutch, because when I put it in 4th (technically 2nd gear high side) it pulled alright, but still stopped occasionally. Would it stop regardless of director position if it were the main clutch?

I can't help but think how much I'd like to have one of those of my own if only it had live PTO

you can have someone watch the pto(engage it)and get it to slip. If the pto also stops turning, it's the engine clutch. If it keeps turning like normal, but ground movement comes to a halt, it's in the power-director. The Unofficial Allis forum is like this page, chock full of useful info.