MTO

Gittin` the "wood"

The title is gittin` THE wood, not what you guys are thinking.

Someone sent me an old picture of 2 of our old shop teachers in junior high school.

One taught wood shop and the other metal shop.

7th grade was a BIG learning experience.

No recess sucked but 7th grade was when you grew up FAST!

I cannot count how many times I got led outside the classroom and beat with a boat oar.

Kinda brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it...

Teachers didn`t put up with ANY crap in those days.

Today they get cussed at/swung at/ stuff thrown at them/ their tires sliced/homes attacked... sad.

But the PARENTS are the ones who took the paddle out of their hands.

Give them back the "Board of Education"

Image result for disciplinary paddle pics

Your absoluly right.

"First day of school lecture", I got from my dad every year for 12 years.....

"If you get in trouble at school, that is NOWHERE NEAR as bad as the trouble you are in when you get home!!!!!!!!!!  :angry:  (and he meant it!!)

Then my kids got it every year for 12 years....(It worked for them too)

It IS a parent problem...

Mike

AMEN to the above comments.

Seems like I went before the "board of education" prior to the 7th grade??

The board needs to be be reinstated------may be that some of today's parents need to experience it.

Good post MTO.

DD

Ha, that brings back memories!  When in the 10th grade My best friend was a Senior so I skipped school with Him on Senior skip day, a tradition at school.  Had a friend in My class that also skipped with one of His best friends.  The next day they take all the Seniors as a group to the library and "work it out.  They called Me to the office, knowing what was coming I was heading down the hall when My classmate came out of His class heading the same way.  I looked over and He had some type of thin pants on.  I had jeans of course, so I asked,"how many pair of underware do you have on?"  He looks over and said one......It's not like He didn't know what was coming.  I had three pair and jeans the boy scout way, always prepaired.  Principal talked for a minute and brings out the wood.  Only time I was whipped with someone and got to watch.  We each got our three licks of course, and friend went first.  That first shot sounded like He had pulled his pants down and it was wood on bare skin!!  After three I was cringing just from the sound, He stands up with some watering eyes and a red face.  My turn and I am worried, He swings that first time and it sounds like he hit a sack of seed.  At this stage I just know He is going to say something but gives Me two more and sends us back to class.  Friends eyes are still watering in the hall, and I was normal of course.  Not sure but I bet He never made that mistake again.  I want to classify this so no confusion, this was not My first licks and was not the last either.  Got cought off guard a couple of times with just jeans so not all were as easy.

You guys don't think little junior would actually do something wrong now days do you?

We used to get the leather strap on the hands.Hurt like ****! The trick was, rub damp soap into your hands just before going to the office. First whack and the blood oozed out of the skin, they quit right away!

grade 7 was tough, interest in girls real strong, got strapped many times for that, always on the hands, by grade 9 was getting to be a big boy, last time i got the strap i pulled my hand back and the teachers hit his leg hard, then gave it to me harder. when he was done i told him someday i would return the favor, never got it again. i did however deserve every one, like to think it got me on the right path.

I remember one teacher we had, back in the early 60's, that was always taking a girl out in the hall and paddling her.  I didn't think much about it then (except glad it wasn't me)  but now I wonder if he wasn't some kind of pervert.

From what we hear about and see I can appreciate the wish to bring this back.  I received (deservedly) a couple myself.  The problem is the punishment is decided upon by imperfect judges.  I saw many others who deserved it receive the paddle and many others who deserved it (in some instances even more so) escape the sting the pine because their parents were school board members, "upstanding" leaders in the community, big time sports boosters, etc.  I don't know how that would end up being any different today.

Comes down to what's been true forever, equal justice is seldom totally equal.

53 minutes ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

I remember one teacher we had, back in the early 60's, that was always taking a girl out in the hall and paddling her.  I didn't think much about it then (except glad it wasn't me)  but now I wonder if he wasn't some kind of pervert.

Men couldn't give girls licks in the late 70s at our school.  Had to get a woman teacher to do it.  

I agreeTilla, as much as We want equal Justice it will never happen.  Only one that is just enough and We will all be judged by Him in the end.

The ag teacher at my high school didn't use a paddle. Instead, we had a paddle line. The one to be punished stood in the middle of the room and grabbed his ankles, while everyone else lined up to give him one swat with an open palm. After 15 or 20 smaks from big old farm boys, the receiver was ready to do no wrong for quite some time.

Paddle line was something to be avoided at all costs. (BTW, there were no girls in ag class back in the day at my school).

14 minutes ago, red211 said:

Only one that is just enough and We will all be judged by Him in the end.

Amen. I was thinking that also

13 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

From what we hear about and see I can appreciate the wish to bring this back.  I received (deservedly) a couple myself.  The problem is the punishment is decided upon by imperfect judges.  I saw many others who deserved it receive the paddle and many others who deserved it (in some instances even more so) escape the sting the pine because their parents were school board members, "upstanding" leaders in the community, big time sports boosters, etc.  I don't know how that would end up being any different today.

Comes down to what's been true forever, equal justice is seldom totally equal.

And this argument/approach in front of the school board has brought us to where we are today.

Unequal justice DOES occur. It beats the alternative we`re left with. We now have indifferences discussed by lawyers IF you have the money. 

And the pecking order worked also.

I GOT THE BOARD OF EDUCATION ONCE WHEN I WAS IN 9TH GRADE. THE NEXT NIGHT THE PRINCIPAL NEEDED A TOWTRUCK FOR HIS CAR. HE HATED ME FROM DAY ONE.HE ALWAYS BRAGGED HE WAS GOING TO GET ME. COST HIM A NEW ENGINE. SAND IN CRANKCASE LOVES V8'S . I DIDNT DO IT BUT MIGHT KNOW WHO DID;. COST ME 20 BUCKS. I HAD A ALIBI THE WHOLE TIME. HE COULDNT EVEN BUY A FRIEND.NO ONE LIKED HIM. HE DIDNT STICK AROUND THAT LONG.

10 hours ago, MTO said:

And this argument/approach in front of the school board has brought us to where we are today.

Unequal justice DOES occur. It beats the alternative we`re left with. We now have indifferences discussed by lawyers IF you have the money. 

And the pecking order worked also.

So my friend.....

We are resigned to accept what imperfectly has been the norm and not incrementally one step at a time address and correct what stands in the way of equal justice for all? 

I know we're all aware of injustices...ethnic, social, economic, cultural, ya da, ya da.....  What makes me sad is that too few are motivated to speak out when these do not effect them, and many of the same are all to eager to criticize others who are effected.

24 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

So my friend.....

We are resigned to accept what imperfectly has been the norm and not incrementally one step at a time address and correct what stands in the way of equal justice for all? 

I know we're all aware of injustices...ethnic, social, economic, cultural, ya da, ya da.....  What makes me sad is that too few are motivated to speak out when these do not effect them, and many of the same are all to eager to criticize others who are effected.

The players have changed. We have transitioned from a faithful/moral/compassionate/ethical/working mass into a lesser, much lesser form of society. 

If we just had Sgt. Carter back to trim the fat and change the attitudes... sigh. 

shezzam...

I wonder what happens to the unruly in today`s Army/Navy/Marines/Air Force?

I`ll bet there is no need for Daddy`s lawyer!

As our truant officer Mr. Pierce used to say to me in Jr. high, 

"Bend over there Mark and let me give you a couple taps"

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww WHAP!