Sign in to follow this  
mader656

Well its big game opener this weekend

For those here who haven't eaten elk, it's goooood eating. Elk fillet's, yes sir. Our neighbor would take the poorer cuts and instead of making sausage, he would make elk salami. He even made some elk pepperoni one year.  A chunk of either with cheese and a cracker. Mmmmm good. 

Knees took a beating yesterday. Not very much going to happen today legs are very sore....couch seem like my friend today we begin to process meat....

So the full story

Hiked 7 miles in Friday steep ups gradual downs,   set up ultra light camp no tent, scouted around for a bit snow squall came in, camping gear out ran back to camp, to get gear under cover, kinda worrried till we got it tarped. It was pretty windy. But out camp was still ok to have a camp fire... Ate some food...slept terrible....woke up late.... Headed to where I wanted to hunt, split up to cover more ground 30 seconds later saw the herd bull was broadside shot missed but he still stood shot again. Hit him he ran, toward buddy... He saw he was wounded picked the next one shot and killed mine still standing shot again, went down this time...two down.

called a friend to come help pack out he had to work, called another friend was able to hek.

I loaded my pack up as I was boning out the elk it was a external frame it broke...

so I waited on horses they got lost, knew I was leaving meat in the field that night so I rigged the pack together with paracord and a rock but it was child size tied as much to it as I could and headed for the trailhead...gear and head....got home made a plan got a 19 yo to hike in with me...then a 14yo gal volunteered to help. So I had 2 helpers to hike in the next day and my buddy (pastor could not miss sunday) left after church. I left trailhead at 830 am I brought a gallon of water the teens brought one 24 oz each. Hiked to game by 1230, loaded up and headed out weight split 80 80 30 lb.

made main trail at 1:30 got 1/3 of the way out that lack of water cought up to them, a little latter 19 year olds knew gave out, took a good break to 15 out of his pack to he is 65 lb now much better for him. I'm now 90 lbs. Start plodding slow again. Met my buddy at 330 at the half way, he's fresh and takes off with 19 year olds pack,  faster takes it to trail head turns around to help us.  We are half a mile behind...it starts raining 1 mile from trailhead, we are tired cold and wet, it's about to get dark, so i keep pushing teens hard, cause I know cold tired wet and dark, is dangerous... Got to truck just before dark. 14 miles in one day long day. 30 miles in 3 days...1020171154.thumb.jpg.b131d055ad5702aaedc284ae27a5d0af.jpg

Good view...1020171917a.thumb.jpg.7fe9732ecb69951f3c99056d97f7a68d.jpg

Camp cooking...

1020171917b.thumb.jpg.17963ba4df45e532e78ac4ab5e6f7153.jpg

Tent windbreak....tarp

1023172118.thumb.jpg.2ba96d68a9fbac670bd30680ecb924dc.jpg

Fruit of the hunt elk tenderloin steaks fresh never frozen

Good story to compliment a good hunt by the sound of things.  Never had the chance to hunt like that.  It wouldn't be possible here.  We used to walk 5-10 miles a night hunting raccoons but the price of fur has shut that down.  What caliber do you prefer for elk?

50 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Good story to compliment a good hunt by the sound of things.  Never had the chance to hunt like that.  It wouldn't be possible here.  We used to walk 5-10 miles a night hunting raccoons but the price of fur has shut that down.  What caliber do you prefer for elk?

.300 win mag... Elk Will run miles wounded.... So I go bigger and faster...a smaller elk,is a through shot little meet loss but bad on the insides.the large rifle also ruins less meat than the 12ga I used for deer in Michigan.

wow that's impressive. I think I would go hungry if I had to do that much packing.... It takes someone in pretty good shape and conditioned. The last time I went to Colorado and elk hunted I couldn't walk much over a mile or 2 and I was tuckered out. Not much air up there for a flat lander

20 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

wow that's impressive. I think I would go hungry if I had to do that much packing.... It takes someone in pretty good shape and conditioned. The last time I went to Colorado and elk hunted I couldn't walk much over a mile or 2 and I was tuckered out. Not much air up there for a flat lander

I did join the gym for 9 months that very moment...

On 10/20/2017 at 5:16 AM, bitty said:

X2. I have been trying to get close enough to a buck with a crossbow ......

It finally happened today. Half hour before quitting time God let me be lucky :)

He was 205 live weight and I could not be more happy..... Unless my boy gets anything tomorrow afternoon when I take him out. Anyways it's the best I ever get and/or saw in a hunting situation

Screenshot_2017-11-02-20-44-54.png

IMG_20171102_222717172.jpg

7 hours ago, bitty said:

It finally happened today. Half hour before quitting time God let me be lucky :)

He was 205 live weight and I could not be more happy..... Unless my boy gets anything tomorrow afternoon when I take him out. Anyways it's the best I ever get and/or saw in a hunting situation

Nice buck. Any idea what it scored yet.

7 hours ago, bitty said:

Nice Deer Tim

3 hours ago, 1466fan said:

Nice buck. Any idea what it scored yet.

Thanks guys.

It grossed 140 3/8" roughly ( non official scorer my cousin with his wife's sewing tape) Lol

10 hours ago, bitty said:

Way to go, nice looking buck