Sign in to follow this  
mader656

Well its big game opener this weekend

Headed back country, 43 lb pack.... Hoping for elk.... And no more damage by dunderheads...

Good luck!

Horseback?  How long will you be out?   

1 minute ago, red211 said:

Horseback?  How long will you be out?   

Hike, just overnight...next few weekends

Good luck!

The guy that I rented equipment from in Lander goes by horse for a week at a time.  Can't remember the story but Him or someone in the party got hurt once and it took a long time to get help.  He takes a satelite phone when they go now.  Had a grizzly get in camp one night, it was right by his head outside tent at one time.  They shot and ran it off but it kept coming back.  Found a container of butter the next morning that had fallen behind a tree and the bear found it.  He said it was a long night.  Be careful out there!!

Just now, red211 said:

The guy that I rented equipment from in Lander goes by horse for a week at a time.  Can't remember the story but Him or someone in the party got hurt once and it took a long time to get help.  He takes a satelite phone when they go now.  Had a grizzly get in camp one night, it was right by his head outside tent at one time.  They shot and ran it off but it kept coming back.  Found a container of butter the next morning that had fallen behind a tree and the bear found it.  He said it was a long night.  Be careful out there!!

Got cell service up high....friends know where we go....food outs camp.....very few grid up there.

After staying up there for a few weeks I can sure see where you can get out of cell range on a horse.  The butter was a mistake for sure.   They had no idea it was left out after falling out of sight.  One bear is enough!!!

Sure is nice up there.  I had to go across town at 5:30 today to load up some extra gravel on a job I am finishing tomorrow.  Had to get it tonight since it will take all day to finish and I have a half load of spoils that also need to go.  Hit traffic at the stadium downtown and didn't get over 15 mph for the next 7 miles.  Not even a wreck, just lots and lots of cars.   I want a traffic jam to be a combine swapping fields, not 50,000 four wheelers jamming up 4 lanes of freeway!!

Have a good hunt and enjoy the woods,  

5 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Have a good hunt and enjoy the woods,  

X2. I have been trying to get close enough to a buck with a crossbow ......

4 hours ago, bitty said:

X2. I have been trying to get close enough to a buck with a crossbow ......

Try sitting on your silage pile?   Just kidding but good luck

Good luck with your hunt and post pics if you get one. Did the wildfire have any sort of impact on elk herds or is it too early to know if herds have been displaced?

32 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

Try sitting on your silage pile?   Just kidding but good luck

Actually I was within 250 yards of him last night I just couldn't see him he was just over the top of the hill where I was sitting

I saw him last Sunday morning and last Sunday evening the one time I was fairly close on the Kubota

My elk 

1021170735a.thumb.jpg.3ca221f3697c71f92bef29a080d4557f.jpg

Buddy's elk

1021170734a.thumb.jpg.db8953e31bdaab12be461420d498b5ae.jpg

Shot at first light we got a late start and saw them on the way to my spot shotem ran to him he shot. Had them boned by 11 am loaded in my pack till it broke...had horses come in till they got lost and had to head out....so I hiked my gear and the head out....

Nice!!  didn't take Y'all long.  How far did you have to carry that load?!

Congratulations.  I have never had the privilege to hunt elk however looks like an exceptional trophy quality animal to me.  I would think it doesn't get any better than that.  Thanks for the pics.

Congratulations on your elk. Much nicer that you were late than getting there early and not seeing anything. Lol

Looks good!

A buddy once told me the difference between "Venison" and "Deer meat". Venison drops right by the road, deer meat you pack three miles on your back! What does that make your elk?

Lots of great eating there, congrats.

Congrats. Looks like some good eating.

Oldest boy got this with his bow a couple weeks ago. 

20170930_110931.jpg

Nice evenly-matched whitetail, congratulations!

1 minute ago, R Pope said:

Nice evenly-matched whitetail, congratulations!

X2. Looks like it will score well

13 hours ago, R Pope said:

A buddy once told me the difference between "Venison" and "Deer meat". Venison drops right by the road, deer meat you pack three miles on your back! What does that make your elk?

Lots of great eating there, congrats.

Got to high school pack mules....I mean teens and hiked him out today hiked 82 lb myself guy  hiked 75 14 yr old girl hiked (volunteered) hiked 46. 7 miles in 77 out...