Sign in to follow this  

466 over rev

Alright, when I am at a stoplight and want to start off easy I start in high 3 at 1,200 RPM, it dies down a lot, I go full throttle and about 2,000 RPM I clutch in to go to High 4, and it revs all the way into the black part, and the MPH Tac comes down into the white! Also if I go from a high idle to full throttle under no load it does this, but will eventually govern back after about 2 1/2 seconds, not sure why. 

This is on a 1971 or 1973 International 1066 with the DT466 engine, and a rotary pump.

This only seems to happen when it is at an operating temperature, I am running 15-40. If the engine is 'warm' or 'cold' than it won't do any of this, and I can start from idle in High 4....

The fuel is only turned up about 1 turn, It has somewhere around 4,480 hours and runs great, accept for governing. 

I feel like it could be an issue with governor spring or something with the weights slipping. Anybody got a solution for this, and what it could possibly cost to rebuild myself or have a shop rebuild it? 

The governor has a slip clutch to reduce the shock loads to the other components.  Those slip clutch's wear and cause a problem like you are having.  Time to take pump in for repair and then it can be checked out for any other possible reasons for over speeds as well. 

Alrighty, thanks!