Sign in to follow this  
Mike56073

5488 brake chatter

Been using the (New to me) 5488 for v-ripping, when using the brakes on the ends both sides work, but chatter a lot.  If you really reef down on the pedals and lock that side up, the chatter goes away.  Is this normal or not?  Our 5288 doesn't do this

I did check the fluid in the rear end, it isn't burnt, and it smells like by-tran

CaseIH had a service bulletin out some years ago about an additive that was necessary when the IH formula was changed unless you went to the latest and greatest they have now.  Kind of confusing but some thing got messed up.   I would think a good parts man, possibly working with service manager could get you the answer  on that .     I replaced the brakes in a 5288 about 5 years ago due to chatter but the guy didn't want to mess around trying and additive as he said they didn't chatter before.  I personally would have liked to have tried it as the brake disks looked really good but we replaced them anyway.   

We had to change brakes on our 7120 when they changed formulations of Hytran back in about 2005? Maybe. The new formulation made the linings fall apart and they were chattering.

Our 5088 started to do the same thing. Had the brakes out and they looked like new so we put them back in and they still chatter. Gets worse as the oil gets warmer.  We did not use the additive yet but will try to find that service bulletin.

Thanks for all the great advice you give Pete23, you truly are a great asset to this forum.

10 minutes ago, worm said:

Thanks for all the great advice you give Pete23, you truly are a great asset to this forum.

Times Two!

7 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Times Two!

X3

59 minutes ago, bitty said:

X3

X4

48 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

X4

X5

4 minutes ago, Bdse25 said:

X5

X6.

actually, there are a lot of people on here that are always willing to share free information with those of us that are willing to listen.  I'll have to say I really appreciate it, it makes my life a lot easier!!

13 minutes ago, Mike56073 said:

X6.

actually, there are a lot of people on here that are always willing to share free information with those of us that are willing to listen.  I'll have to say I really appreciate it, it makes my life a lot easier!!

To quote something from somewhere “knowledge is the measure of a mechanic”and this site has thousands of pages of technical and dumbed down info on nearly every topic someone could need. Everything from TA adjustment to marriage counseling (your results may vary).

Are 7240 had brake chatter put the additive in never did it again  I was a young pup then. Oil has been changed 5 or 6 times since then. 

I ran into this issue when CIH changed to the HyTran ULTRA formulation back about 10 years ago. The Service manager said to add the MFD axle oil additive that CIH sell. I did and it helped a bit. Now the 7130 does the same after I changed it about 7 years ago.

I went to the dealer and picked up 2 bottles of the additive. Put the first one in 3 hours ago and it's helped tremendously. I'll put the other one in tomorrow, but its definitely bearable now. Thanks guys!!!!

If it is broke, this is the place to find out how to fix it.