Morgan

TD 9 over rev

I have a TD9 crawler that i use from time to time and it started to get fuel in the injection pump narrowed that down to the little lift pump and the scavenger valve. Bought a remaned transfer pump and replaced the o ring on the scavenger valve fired it up after replacing fuel filters run and sounded good. Took it out and was pushing dirt after about half an hour it bogged down on a good push and smoked more than usual made the push and went to back up and the machine reved extreamly high ! I slammed the throttle and the compresion lever back and it died down intantly. I looked at the diesel side of the engine and there was fuel covering the injection pump that had sprayed out from under the big acorn nut on top so i tried to tighted it but it was already tight. Any idea what is going on?

Could it be a governor problem? As far as the fuel leak it is just a copper washer under there. Maybe put in a new one. W

the governor must be located inside the injection pump ? And hopefully it is the copper washer needing replaced but i was wondering if something was causing to much pressure inside there and made it leak? I say that because it didnt leak before.

Guess i dont need to worry about anyone talking my ear of on this forum ......

you may find a repo manual on ebay that will cover the pump. Yes the governor is inside

try construction board  

you need to outside search ...into here   plenty written  

there is basically nothing new in parts for these pumps so any repair will be used/cobbled parts or cheap made

dont have experience with specific failures  ....?  

B rack or governor stuck  

A. poor repair on scavenge pump/parts/seals  which is now keeping ALL fuel in main pump

dont waste $$ on cheap manuals   $50 gets original or quality...plenty have done it at home but manual is not novice friendly

MMI agreed there in nothing like a good old IHC manual. But if you can't find one a repo will have to do.

Just now, waterloo said:

MMI agreed there in nothing like a good old IHC manual. But if you can't find one a repo will have to do.

hate to always show the same page but only one with quick listing

several originals were offered  + - 15%

http://www.binderbooks.com/crawler.htm

ISS-1003V   it is a bit technical and assumes you know the pump already

the outside search of prior posts would fill gaps with some photos

this is the LEAST quality and HIGHEST $ price I would pay  for actual reprint

others have and will sell bad copies with missing info for $200 +

Thank you for the replys this is the first forum ive joined (usually read down thru others online) but needed more info this time and i was loosing faith in joining really fast when i wasnt getting replys. The scavenger pump was a reman professionly rebuilt so id say that is not where my problem is but after i replaced it is when the machine tried to over rev on me. I recived my pump manual about a week ago and have look thru the adustments. The only one i still can not locate is how the rod should be adjusted that runs the fuel pump lever there is two springs and two nuts that hold the lever center. That is the only thing that i have adjusted on the pump and i think that maybe where the problem is but not sure.

I don't believe that adjustment would cause your over rev. condition.  The springs are supposed to be the same length and be able to pull the lever far enough for wide open and be able to push it far enough forward to shut off the diesel.  I've messed around with that adjustment and don't think that is your issue.  If your pump is full of diesel, I think I've read where that will screw your governor action up possibly causing your over rev.  No matter what, you shouldn't have fuel coming out of it.  I'd fix that first.

Dan

When my pump was filling up, after a while I finally figured out the fuel return stand pipe in the tank was rubbed through.  Anything over half a tank would fill my pump.  One thing I did was remove the scavenging valve and watch which port the fuel would enter from.

Also, you may find an o-ring may not seal well in the scavenging valve.  The original seal was more of a quad ring.

Ask Tony in cali what professionally rebuilt is like....... only as good as the used/china parts and make do repairs with out having spec and tooling to blueprint  and rechecking each spec 3x ...even the best are only taking a gamble

75% > chance too much fuel in pump and/or in the wrong place,  if this was not a design necessity there would not be a factory system to keep in check   small chance governor wanky or rack stuck

plenty of those SV valves stick  it should be in the book how to tweeze it bac'k

put gauge on pump run it on gas and see if still blowing out or white smoke....follow back and check return circuit

any chance low on fuel....? 50/50 air will do similar

k

The injection pump had fuel in it before the replacement of the scavenger pump. The packing on the shaft was shot and let fuel in the injection pump, thats why i replaced it. At the same time i also replace the o ring on the scavenger valve with the best option i had but maybe your right that i need a different one. The oringinal was a square shoulder/ edge oring and i put a round in there so maybe thats my problem. After the over rev i never thought to check the oil in the pump to see if there was diesel in there again. Thought that problem was whipped but i will check that tonight. Next question that return stand pipe must come out the bottom of the tank? I didnt know one was in there cant see it with the baffles in the way. The tank was about 1/4 full when it over reved. And im still pretty confident in the rebuild on the scavenger pump i looked for about a month for that tiny seal on the front of it with not much luck finally to find a injection shop in Ohio maybe? Cant quite remember. They had a hand full of ih rebuild kits left and didnt want to sell just the kits but would rebuild a scavenger pump and send it out. So thats what i had to do.

Well i opened the petcock on the side of the injection pump this morning and diesel run out for several seconds so i guess i know where to start looking.