dale560

John Deere answer to a TA

Went down to my buddy the other night and pulled the quad range planetary out to rebuild it. The small discs thAt are really burnt out are low clutch the bigger ones are high brake. Pretty simple assembly changed the discs and a few o ring seals .On an older JD 4 Wd you pull out through the hinge. This was on an 8440 but 2 wd or 4 wd are pretty much the same except for gears. Buddy pulled drive shaft and cover bolts I took rest out and rebuilt and installed tonite have about 4.5 hours in it. Now I am going out to do more soybeans after I feed my pigs for the night. That planetary weighs 90 lbs been about 8 years since I worked on one definitely gotten older and not as skinny anymore 

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

WHAT IT FAILED??? John Deere guys make you think there was never a problem with the quad-range transmission.;)

21 minutes ago, Eason said:

WHAT IT FAILED??? John Deere guys make you think there was never a problem with the quad-range transmission.;)

On the 2 wd it is common to make 8 to 10,000 hours. 4wd if you downshift under hard load you can rebuild them every 1000 hours. Just put a picture up to show other makes parts. When dad used to farm  a lot we would rebuild one planetary every few years on his tractors.

That god forsaken transmission should have never been built, I know some guys like them, but those stupid things are harder IMO to shift than a IH.  And on top of that the speeds are horrible.  

59 minutes ago, dale560 said:

if you downshift under hard load you can rebuild them every 1000 hours.

Seems like that's when you'd want to downshift.

1 hour ago, Steve C. said:

Seems like that's when you'd want to downshift.

Yes I mean super hard pulling your guts out load 11 bottom plow load in very steep hills. Just showing you guys there are other ways to get a 2 speed instead of using a sprague(overrunning clutch) and two sets of clutch discs. John Deeres design is remarkably simple and easy to service. This one came out of a 4 wd tractor that got it ripped out pushing snow last winter and buddy wanted to fix it all summer. Now silage in a day or two he needed it so I went and fixed it for him. Come on you guys John Deeres run and need service just like the rest of the tractors. I am color blind to tractors myself. But an 8 speed transmission with a 2 speed in front shifted on the right side. Sounds suspiciously like an early IHC tractor. Only JD ran synchro high low in trans.

If you lose one side do you still have the other? Or are you dead in the water when they go out?

8 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Yes I mean super hard pulling your guts out load 11 bottom plow load in very steep hills. Just showing you guys there are other ways to get a 2 speed instead of using a sprague(overrunning clutch) and two sets of clutch discs. John Deeres design is remarkably simple and easy to service. This one came out of a 4 wd tractor that got it ripped out pushing snow last winter and buddy wanted to fix it all summer. Now silage in a day or two he needed it so I went and fixed it for him. Come on you guys John Deeres run and need service just like the rest of the tractors. I am color blind to tractors myself. But an 8 speed transmission with a 2 speed in front shifted on the right side. Sounds suspiciously like an early IHC tractor. Only JD ran synchro high low in trans.

Thanks for the picture because I’ve never seen one.  We had a 8850 and 8440 but neither stuck around long enough to wear out the 2 speed.  But we had a 4640 for 18 years and never had to open it up.  They do look simple.  Don’t forget JD patented the TA in the mid 30s:).  TA was a wonderful concept in 50s and 60s.

3 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Thanks for the picture because I’ve never seen one.  We had a 8850 and 8440 but neither stuck around long enough to wear out the 2 speed.  But we had a 4640 for 18 years and never had to open it up.  They do look simple.  Don’t forget JD patented the TA in the mid 30s:).  TA was a wonderful concept in 50s and 60s.

8850 and 8640 had exact 2 speed and I think 4640s had the bigger planet gears also. Should have taken picture of hinge area to show removal. We used to do this stuff almost weekly years ago. I did replace a 4640 once with only 2500 hrs the bushings went out and ruined a bunch of stuff but at that time a new 2 speed was 1800 from JD about 3000 with oil and engine clutch overhaul.

3 minutes ago, dale560 said:

8850 and 8640 had exact 2 speed and I think 4640s had the bigger planet gears also. Should have taken picture of hinge area to show removal. We used to do this stuff almost weekly years ago. I did replace a 4640 once with only 2500 hrs the bushings went out and ruined a bunch of stuff but at that time a new 2 speed was 1800 from JD about 3000 with oil and engine clutch overhaul.

Didn’t the 2 speed on the 7020/7520 still require clutching.  It wasn’t a shift on the go like the quad range or TA.  I know it was just an option in those two tractors but I’ve never seen one without it.

57 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Didn’t the 2 speed on the 7020/7520 still require clutching.  It wasn’t a shift on the go like the quad range or TA.  I know it was just an option in those two tractors but I’ve never seen one without it.

Yes the 7020/7520 was just a sliding collar you needed to shift with clutch. Dad had a 7020 years ago and hadroblems with it took jd dealer three tries to fix it.

I learned the hard way that those planetary pinions are timed!  It ran 19 hours, when we took it apart it had machined the teeth off those pinions just like it had been turned in a lathe.

12 hours ago, dale560 said:

I got along fine with the Quad Range in Dad's 4440. Glad you clarified what you meant by hard load.

....what good is it if you can't down shift them under a hard load? I'd think upshifting would be harder on them than downshifting. Besides those gutless engines shouldn't have enough torque to hurt anything;)

5 minutes ago, ST-470 said:

....what good is it if you can't down shift them under a hard load? I'd think upshifting would be harder on them than downshifting. Besides those gutless engines shouldn't have enough torque to hurt anything;)

Hey now we had a 4630 (that was supposedly turned up a lot according to the  specialized JD shop that worked on it) and it ran ALMOST as well as our 1066 Hydro does 

:)

15 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

That god forsaken transmission should have never been built, I know some guys like them, but those stupid things are harder IMO to shift than a IH.  And on top of that the speeds are horrible.  

Love it. Every second thread on here is usually, my TA isn't working or whys the light on and I have no high side in my xx88 transmission. 

Seems all transmission were not that great to me. 

9 hours ago, bitty said:

Hey now we had a 4630 (that was supposedly turned up a lot according to the  specialized JD shop that worked on it) and it ran ALMOST as well as our 1066 Hydro does 

:)

I had one of those dog turd 4630's, that's what started my hatred for d**re. That hard starting junk 404 engine had absolutely NO torque curve, what a POS...and the rest of it wasn't any better either.  

41 minutes ago, 5088downunder said:

Love it. Every second thread on here is usually, my TA isn't working or whys the light on and I have no high side in my xx88 transmission. 

The TA in my 1256 works.  But the previous owner ran a grain vac with it.  And the owners before that never used it because they didn't want to break it.  The quad range wasn't perfect but history has judged it to be better then the TA.  Besides the QR was only on the market for 10 years before JD offered a better transmission unlike IH who continued to push the TA about 15 years past its prime. 

5 hours ago, 5088downunder said:

4 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

The TA in my 1256 works.  But the previous owner ran a grain vac with it.  And the owners before that never used it because they didn't want to break it.  The quad range wasn't perfect but history has judged it to be better then the TA.  Besides the QR was only on the market for 10 years before JD offered a better transmission unlike IH who continued to push the TA about 15 years past its prime. 

Those are the exact reasons why 99% of the TA handles have been removed of old IH's down here in the South, if they had one at all. And it wasn't just because of hired help like has been mentioned, it just had the reputation of being the weak link in an otherwise reliable tractor. Sure it would last if properly adjusted and you changed the oil every year and on and on. It just got a bad rap, just like 70-90 series Case powershift. A decent 4-wheeler brings more at an auction than a 2590 around here if you find one still running. I might like a TA if I got used to using one that was in good shape but I'm glad my 1086 doesn't have one. TA's seems to be the #1 reason mentioned on here for a tractor split on here.

Okay you guys I just put a picture of Deere's  2 speed up so you could see it. They tend to loose low speed 1st because the low clutches are smaller but more of them high speed is a brake clutch that stop planet from spinning and spins the complete carrier assembly and takes the power better. This winter when I need to split our 4630 for the low 2 speed and brake repair I will post more pictures for JD review. The  2 speed is actually pretty durable on them just sometimes need work. Some one will correct me if I am wrong but I think a 4630 JD wasn't available with a 2 speed right away. Either a powershift or just the 8 speed synchro range for the first year. I have seen a 4240 open station synchro 8 also just like a ta delete ihc.

7 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

The best ih tractor we have is a 1256 farmall , factory no ta I love that one.

Maybe the reason there are so many TA threads is because almost every tractor ih built since the 50s has a TA. That's alot of TAs. How many deere 2 speeds are there?

1 hour ago, ZachGrant said:

Maybe the reason there are so many TA threads is because almost every tractor ih built since the 50s has a TA. That's alot of TAs. How many deere 2 speeds are there?

Isn’t that what a quad range is? You could only powershift between two gears right?

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

Okay you guys I just put a picture of Deere's  2 speed up so you could see it. They tend to loose low speed 1st because the low clutches are smaller but more of them high speed is a brake clutch that stop planet from spinning and spins the complete carrier assembly and takes the power better. This winter when I need to split our 4630 for the low 2 speed and brake repair I will post more pictures for JD review. The  2 speed is actually pretty durable on them just sometimes need work. Some one will correct me if I am wrong but I think a 4630 JD wasn't available with a 2 speed right away. Either a powershift or just the 8 speed synchro range for the first year. I have seen a 4240 open station synchro 8 also just like a ta delete ihc.

I think it was 1974 when the QR was first offered on the 4630.