FarmerFixEmUp

Hired Grain Haulers

How many farmers out there have their wives or someone help haul grain? My wife helps haul sometimes in the fall but other than that doesn't drive tractor a lot. Last fall she was hauling corn to an elevator about 2 miles away and she called me. I was running the combine. She said she killed the tractor (1066) at the unloading pit  and couldn't get it to start again. She said she just heard a clicking noise and smelled something really bad. I thought maybe the starter burned up or something.Then an employee at the  elevator was helping her get it going and when the engine started turning over I heard this horrible clatter! Then I knew she was pushing the ether button instead of the starter button! :angry: I just hung up the phone. I had this big speech prepared when she got back about how she was damaging the engine and we may need to overhaul it and all that. But I figured if I did that she'd probably  get all upset and go home and I'd have to deal with it for a week. I just told her not to use that button since it's a cold starting aid and let it go. 

I think this year I'll just pull the wires off the ether injector!;)

That is funny... sorry Lyle, but it was.

Ha yea i think we all had speeches like that ready! And then you calm down and let it go! Just be glad shes helping mine was all about till i put a ring on that finger! Then the tractor driving days were over!

Mine was happier than a 🐖 in slop yesterday as she was driving silage cart in a muddy field. 

I have done something similar in a 1066 about 15 years ago. A hay hauler who marketed a bunch of round bales we used to sell had his tractor in our shed . It was late at night ,no lights and I had to move it.  I hadn't been in a 1066 (or any other 66 series tractor) in about 20 years and in the dark found the key , found the button . Then click click click that's all it was doing. Then I smelled either and I thought oops so that I just waited till the next day to start it once I realized what I had done

Yep. Most of our ether buttons are disconnected, or have an empty can. Except the 1486 apparently. Mom was hauling grain and said she accidently pushed the ether button. Let it sit for a bit before she started it. I guess I should've unhooked that one too since we usually use the 766 and it's got push button start, so I guess if you're not thinking, it can easily happen.

As you get older you learn you're  better off keeping you mouth shut.  Congrats on reaching  that point in your  marriage.

Wife would haul to bins.but not the elevator  for fear of screwing up so she ran  the  combine  & I hauled to the elevator 

Mine pushes the hydro levers faster if its in tall grass and is pulling down.  I've tried to tell her differently but she knows how to run the mower better then me.  I have up at that point because I'll have to start mowing all the time if I set her straight.

Yeppers, my wife does a few things that would get a hired hand tuned up right now, and that is just fine. She is helping and getting behind the wheel, and all I need to do to screw that up is correct how she does it. If she isn't going to break/hurt anything I let it go

I do like the idea of disconnection the Either though, thank goodness we don't have any rigs with it

I shouldn't complain as she drives the Magnum and grain cart and the quad Trac and cart if needed, she doesn't like the wiggle in the middle though.

1 hour ago, Pete1468 said:

Mine pushes the hydro levers faster if its in tall grass and is pulling down.  I've tried to tell her differently but she knows how to run the mower better then me.  I have up at that point because I'll have to start mowing all the time if I set her straight.

Dad used to have moms uncle help run his versatile 5000 combine. It went 0 to 15 on one control lever. The farther you pushed the faster it went. He had the same concept more power push harder. We always spent a lot of time unplugging walkers and beaters on that thing. I have it set up now as far as trucking we have enough trucks now and next year want to get a grain cart and I can fill 4000 bushels a day and dump in morning myself or dump one truck during the day.

Yup, truck driver ,chopper operator, packing tractor operator, grain cart operator, loves turning dirt too. Good help

IMG_0470.JPEG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_4092.JPG

6814-2.jpg

IMG_4085.JPG

My wife is the combine operator while I haul, she's afraid to drive the semi unless its in low gear when I'm picking up round bales. Took a few years, but she will dump on the go onto the cart now! She did say she'd drive the 66 f600 silage truck if she had to, but dad helped another year. Sons got 1 more year of votech then plans to come back.

20171011_151656.jpg

11 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

How many farmers out there have their wives or someone help haul grain? My wife helps haul sometimes in the fall but other than that doesn't drive tractor a lot. Last fall she was hauling corn to an elevator about 2 miles away and she called me. I was running the combine. She said she killed the tractor (1066) at the unloading pit  and couldn't get it to start again. She said she just heard a clicking noise and smelled something really bad. I thought maybe the starter burned up or something.Then an employee at the  elevator was helping her get it going and when the engine started turning over I heard this horrible clatter! Then I knew she was pushing the ether button instead of the starter button! :angry: I just hung up the phone. I had this big speech prepared when she got back about how she was damaging the engine and we may need to overhaul it and all that. But I figured if I did that she'd probably  get all upset and go home and I'd have to deal with it for a week. I just told her not to use that button since it's a cold starting aid and let it go. 

I think this year I'll just pull the wires off the ether injector!;)

Yep I got all the ether wires unhooked my 2 year old son just loves to push buttons lol.

This is off topic but reminded me of my '72 656 diesel.  It has the factory ether with push button under the steering wheel like other 66 series.  It doesn't appear that it has ever had a can of ether on it but I've always thought that was a dangerous decision by IH to put ether on an engine with glow plugs.

Had this happen just the other day. Not only did my helper hit the button and not wait, he started it with the throttle about 75% open. I heard the same pinging and heard the clatter. Then I smelled the ether. Funny thing is I know that can is minimum of 10 years old and I have never even used it. I did nt even realize it worked because that tractor starts so easy. Its unplugged now. He didn't do any damage but it sure made me cringe the same way.

Always take ether off my tractors plug them up don’t  use much in cold weather . Just 5240 to feed with it will start anytime 

You guys are lucky to be able to get your significant others to help. I'm 33 and have never seen my Mom drive anything farm related. She avoids it like the plague  (and no it isn't because she's a great cook that's taking up her time either, she freely admits that she isn't good at cooking either and she makes it known that it's not her favorite thing to do. She does clean a mean house though ). Mom was never around it growing up. Wasn't much farming on Air Force bases. You guys really need to give pointers on how you get them to help you. :D

My sister in law will help unload hay and straw in the barn since we still do small square bales. That's it for her farm woek wise. She is a good cook though and teaches school full time so her time is gone with that and  being Mom to a very active 14 month old.  My girlfriend has nothing to do with the farm either though she is a great cook and is a cardiac nurse at a major hospital near us. 

The funny thing is when it comes to grain hauling. Dad and I are the only ones who will drive the semi. Dad loves to run the combine so guess who ends up in the truck all fall. My brother will haul to the bins with the wagons and is a better grain cart driver than I am at catching on the go but he won't drive the semi. If I'm gone someplace or doing something else the truck will wait for me or my brother will take over for me so I can take the load.

Years ago dad always had extra help during harvest and so much stuff got messed up it wasn't funny. My mom actually helped a lot on the farm to while raising 9 kids and cooking for at least 12 to 18 people most days. I can't afford any trucks tipped over, motors blown up clutches torn out so either me or my brother when he is off work run all equipment. Stories I could tell. One night moms uncle who was all thumbs stepped clutch in on a 1600 load star going down hill in low gear. Let it out clutch grabbed and shredded it to the input hub. This was 1980 I was 10 years old. His son who was helping dad pulled loaded truck to yard got in shop about  4 pm he pulled drive shaft off and went back to help combine. Dad came in from combining at 10 30 that night pulled transmission dropped clutch out of bell housing. Put the new stuff in mom had gotten from IHC dealer had most of it back together before midnite. Next morning we were unloading the grain off the box before hired help showed up before 7 am. Remember it we'll to this day and I was only 10 and after we unloaded truck dad went to change rear spindle that had broken on 815 the that night.

Knowing when to keep mouth closed around wife or other family members is only part of the battle. You really need to do it. NOT EVEN A WORD ABOUT IT,is  my only hope.

Guilty      Maybe someday.   But it will be 39 years in Feb.

Well come this Saturday, she'll be my wife, but she already helps. Doesn't disk, or nothing big, but will move the truck, skiddy or other implement in the field for me to the other end. Bring a truck load of fertilizer, or do what I ask, as long as she is comfortable with it. Don't push, she'll warm up to it.