Sign in to follow this  
Rcfarmboy

Rd engines

Working on a 1958 R190 truck that has a rd372 engine in it. I have a couple questions about the engine.

First I got my starter rebuilt, but the repair man told me that it was in rough shape and that he wasn't sure if it could handle a 12 volt system even after he repaired it.

Normally I would just keep the truck at 6 volts but my plan for it has me needing a 12 volt system.

So wondering if all the Rd series had the same starter drive. Have access to some Rd 406/450 engines, want to know if they would be a direct replacement if they are 12 volt.

Second my exhaust manifold is cracked and trying to figure out if a manifold off a 450 would fit or if the ports have different spacing.

Finally in hoping to get a transmission with a PTO drive on it to run a hydraulic pumo. If the flywheel bolt pattern and mounting the same or not.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20171015_153303820_HDR.jpg

i have a 59 R190 with a 12v system. i would think a 450 starter would work . same family of engines. looks like a nice truck you have. is it a 5spd with a 2 sod rear or an over under stick? under direct overdrive

Truck is currently a straight 5 spd with single rear, but might not stay like that if I get a transmission with a PTO shaft

That's a nice looking R190.  Would it happen to be a former street or highway dept. truck?  Wondering about the amber light on the roof.  If you have a good RD450 engine, I think I'd install it.  A little more HP makes up for lack of gears.  The early 70's LoadStar I drove for a year or so with 478 gas V-8 had straight 5 speed, no 2-speed axle, and it ran O-K loaded up to 40,000-50,000# gross. It would run 62-65 mph on Interstates back when speed limit was 55.  Plenty of low gears too for sliding tandems on trailers, etc.  Somebody knew what they were doing when they spec'd it out.

A bigger engine not running flat out might not burn as much gas as a smaller engine running 10/tenths.

If there is a sideplate on one side of transmission or other--------you may be able to find a pto that would couple up with the existing transmission.  Search truck salvage yards------need to identify transmission make and model.  Most likely this transmission was used by other manufacturers also------so it might come from a different brand truck.

Good looking old work horse.

DD