Sign in to follow this  
Steves46m

Question about M oil pump

Hello all

Ive recently installed a newer style oil pressure gauge on my M so i can see my exact PSI. Im idiling at 50 psi but here is my question.

I only use the tractor for pulling so about 2 or 3 times a month. And when i start it it takes about 8 seconds for the gauge to climb,but once it goes it goes fast. Is that 8 seconds of little oil psi ok?

When i checked the base plate on the oil pump last winter i was superised at how little wear there was on it compared to all the pictures ive seen on the web. None at all really. I think everyt hing is ok im just not sure about the pump taking so long to get me pressure 

Air in the line will do that. Take the line off the gauge and start the engine. When oil squirts out, shut it down and reattach the line.

Could be the filter draining back too. Funny, my M's and 6's show pressure on the starter.

How small is the line going to the gauge? It could be slow to push through a small line? 

My M takes about that long to show pressure on the gauge. 

Been that way for the 40 years I've owned it. 

Both of my parents tractors take a few moments to read pressure as well, H and an M.  I've put a new pressure spring in my H rebuild so I'm wondering what the difference will look like.  My first impression would be that this is normal.

The line from the block to oil gauge is 1/4 O.D. so i beleieve that is 1/8 I.D.  dont know if that helps.

Thanks for the replies so far. So this might just be good and normal.