So I had my 113 engine rebuilt by a machine shop.  I get it back and the pushrods are not in it, but I put them in once I got it back to my shop and on the engine stand:  I say that because the bar in my old valve train was worn in several places so I picked up one in very good shape at a salvage yard.  I get the pushrods in and down into their seats and then put the valve train/rocker arm assembly on and I'm confused:  there are gaps of up to 3/4" between the head of the pushrod and the cup in the rocker arms.  Do I need to turn the crank until each pushrod comes up to the cup of the arm and then adjust each one?  I've never had to fool with pushrods and rocker arms before.  Anyone with some grandfatherly-type advice please feel free to comment.  I've got a service manual and gauges to set the valves once I figure out what it going on with the rods.  Also, do I have to take the timing gear off to locate timing marks on the internal gears or are all of the markings on the flywheel?  Like I said, this engine has been completely rebuilt and I have had the clutch, flywheel & ring gear off, had a new pressure plate built, and put a new throwout bearing in but that wouldn't mess up the timing marks on the flywheel, would it?  My dad is not a Farmall guy and there's not many around that I can go to with help on this project.  

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

I'm guessing you have the the wrong pushrods or lifters, 3/4 of an inch is a lot of slack to try adjusting out. The lifter has to be on the lowest part of the cam to set the clearance.

I took this valvetrain off of an identical engine of another junked B, and I know the pushrods came out of my engine because I took them out.  I'll try to add some pictures tonight.

There were gas and kerosne versions of "A"s, Maybe the low compression head was thicker? Just putting that out there, I never had much to do with an A.

These pictures taken with the rocker arm down and in contact with the tips of the valve spring caps.  What am I doing wrong?

20171016_195903.jpg

20171016_195847.jpg

For starters here, first thing when installing a rocker arm assembly is to back out all the adjusting screws before you attempt to tighten the nuts holding the assembly in place. Looks like a gap under the rocker arms support . Not backing them out is the single biggest reason for bent push rods once you get it up and running.  Then see how things look. Then take all slack out of adjusters for starters, turn it over some and adjust slack out of any loose ones as there will be some.   Adjust each pair of valves with that cylinder on top dead center of compression stroke which is easily determined by watching the valves on mate cylinder. Mate cylinder valves should be in what we call overlap positon, exhaust just closed, intake just starting to open.  Mate cylinders are one and four,    two and three.  Adjust in firing order of 1342. 

This is just about the best, most detailed answer I've ever seen on here.  Thank you so much.  I'm going to try this tomorrow.  Should I take the timing gear cover off and look for marks on the timing gear, or one of the other gears in there?

No amount of reassembly is going to cure your problem. Something is not compatible. The pushrods are too short, the lifters are too short, or the head is thicker. Pete23 is right about how to proceed when putting it togrther, but that isn't going to help in this case, there is nothing you can do wrong that will cause this problem other than mismatched parts.

Another thing that could cause this problem is different height rocker stands, I suppose.

Another possibility is the wrong length valves were installed .

Your first picture, pushrod on the left looks bent or is it the way the photo was taken. To check for bend pushrods roll them on a surface plate or piece of class.

4 hours ago, R Pope said:

No amount of reassembly is going to cure your problem. Something is not compatible. The pushrods are too short, the lifters are too short, or the head is thicker. Pete23 is right about how to proceed when putting it togrther, but that isn't going to help in this case, there is nothing you can do wrong that will cause this problem other than mismatched parts.

You are probably correct, but, when seeing that one rocker arm under tension with a normal looking adjusting screw setting and a gap under the rocker arm support, you have to assemble it correctly to then determine if you have problems.   There has been some discussion on one of these boards recently about short and long push rods but I don't know if that problem was ever resolved.  I also agree that it could have incorrect valves but cannot tell from here except valve springs don't look over compressed.  

That rocker that is under tension is on a lobe that is opening the valve, see how much higher it sits than the next one. I would like to see a picture from the valve side to see what kind of angle the rockers are hitting the valve stems. As above, you could have the rong length valves.

I'm with Pete. 

It looks like rocker shaft stand is not setting down on head. 

Might just be the picture playing tricks on my eyes. 

you cannot do anything until you tighten down the rockerarm supports then show us a picture of what you have all the stands and rocker arms are the same height for those engine does not matter if they are stamped or cast. the only variable is valve length

Well, dam! I never even noticed that the stands are not snugged down! That's the first thing to do.

14 minutes ago, R190 said:

you cannot do anything until you tighten down the rockerarm supports then show us a picture of what you have all the stands and rocker arms are the same height for those engine does not matter if they are stamped or cast. the only variable is valve length

I'm hearing everything that has been said here.  When I get home this evening, I'm going to tighten the nuts down on the stands and torque them to spec and then post more pictures.  Before I do that, though, I'm going to put my old rocker arm train on and see what it looks like.  The assembly that is in the pictures above came off of an identical B to mine, with only a gasoline tank and no kerosene or other fuel.  I will post a picture tonight of a length-wise picture showing the rockers on the valve caps.  And thanks for the advice so far.

2 hours ago, louie figone said:

Your first picture, pushrod on the left looks bent or is it the way the photo was taken. To check for bend pushrods roll them on a surface plate or piece of class.

It's just the way the picture was taken.  Phones don't take the best photos.  The pushrods are all straight.

22 minutes ago, R190 said:

Will do this tonight and report back with pictures.  Thanks for the input!  I really appreciate it.

27 minutes ago, 65806 said:

I'm with Pete. 

It looks like rocker shaft stand is not setting down on head. 

Might just be the picture playing tricks on my eyes. 

No, your eyes are fine.  I didn't tighten it down last night because I was trying to see if the rods would line up, but when I saw how much gap there was between some of the rods and the arms, I decided to take pictures and run them past the crew here.

9 minutes ago, R Pope said:

Well, dam! I never even noticed that the stands are not snugged down! That's the first thing to do.

Will do this evening.

14 minutes ago, louie figone said:

Be sure you back off on the adjusters before you tighten the stands down.

Yes sir, will do.  I'll back them all the way out, then torque the nuts down on the stands.  And thanks again.

I loosened all of the adjusting screw in the push rod end of the arms, and tightened down all three nuts on the stands.  Everything looks good so far.  I'll try to post some pictures when I get back to the shop later.  

I tightened the stands down last night, but did not torque them because I couldn't find how many pounds they should be tightened to, but will look again this evening.  I backed off all of the adjusting screws in the arms and will time it tonight and get them set.  Thank you to all who've commented and even looked this over.  I know I can count on the advice I receive from this board.  Y'all are always the best at offering support and encouragement to the young cubs out here trying to learn this on our own.  And I appreciate it.

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg