Sign in to follow this  
farmall666

LUTEFISH

41 minutes ago, R190 said:

It is a taste and a smell you will either like or hate there seems to be no in between! all the  Norwegian heritage Lutheran churches around here have a Lutefisk supper or dinner once a year. The older generations look forward to it . I am German Catholic heritage we stick to sausage and potato breakfasts or dinners at the Catholic churchs in the area.

When I went to high school and grade school our school of 400 kids was about 1/2 catholic 1/2 Lutheran and other. The cooks were all German catholic though. They followed tradition and every Friday was a no meat menu. They also made homemade sauerkraut and weiners once a month. The school stunk all morning but our meals were quit good usually.  My wife is Presbyterian and during lent she tells me she is not catholic. I always tell her she should have went to school here she wouldn't have known any different.

Grandmother and Grandfather (mom's side) both came from Germany in 1910 +/-. They wanted to be American, so they did not cook a lot of traditional German meals. Possibly when mom was growing up, but not much that I remember. Somewhere in there I acquired a taste for kraut and sausage. Everytime I cook any, the wife says something like..."get that stinking sh** (stuff) out of this house" so I'm relegated to the grill outside.  But if she is ever going to be gone for a couple days.... oh doggy....  "sauerkraut with grilled onions, sliced polish (cause I can't find german) sausage, and german mustard". I eat until my toes curl.  I'm not a drinker, but this is one meal that an ice cold brew is a must. 

Didn't mean to hi-jack, the traditional food thing did it. 

8 minutes ago, dads706 said:

Grandmother and Grandfather (mom's side) both came from Germany on 1910 +/-. They wanted to be American, so they did not cook a lot of traditional German meals. Possibly when mom was growing up, but not much that I remember. Somewhere in there I acquired a taste for kraut and sausage. Everytime I cook any, the wife says something like..."get that stinking sh** (stuff) out of this house" so I'm relegated to the grill outside.  But if she is ever going to be gone for a couple days.... oh doggy....  "sauerkraut with grilled onions, sliced polish (cause I can't find german) sausage, and german mustard". I eat until my toes curl.  I'm not a drinker, but this is one meal that an ice cold brew is a must. 

Didn't mean to hi-jack, the traditional food thing did it. 

Now we are really getting off the lutefisk part. All 4 sets of my great grand parents came here around the turn of the century. My mom talks about her grandmother having to translate German to the nurses i. The nursing home some of the residents didn't learn English yet and had been here for 80 years. My moms cousin who is 70 now talks of being sent home from school in 1st grade with a note to his parents to "learn him some English " they only spoke German. We live on the German / Norwegian dividing line of years ago and my grandpa was friends with both so we know most customs. 

Madison, Minn,   lutefisk capital USA.   We have a giant statue on south edge of town on US hwy 75 of a big old cod fish.  You would not believe the people who stop when coming through town and have their picture taken by that thing.  They used to  haul it around on a trailer to various parades etc but it got damaged I think on one of those trips so quit doing that.  

My grand parents on mom's side came from Norway as kids but I give mom real credit.  She never ever made that crap in our home or tried to get us kids to eat it.  She and dad, (bohemian) would eat some when visiting some of the relatives.  

Here in town, every year they have a lutefisk eating contest.  Same guys wins every year except once when he was sick.  I believe he ate over 5 pounds when he had a serious competitor one year.    They even sent him out to the state of Washington one time to participate in their celebration.  He is a good guy, big  guy, hard working  guy but , eating that crap, no way. 

Think I'll stick to Portuguese Linguesa  , sweet bread & scrambled eggs .:lol: Our Catholic school when I went was mostly Italians . First time I had Pizza & rigatoni , I was in 4 th grade.

We have a small country Fair in Caruthers and the Churches all have their booths and prepare their heritage foods. My favorite; Apple sqeevers & Sweedish Pancakes.:wub:

Of Course all those ladies make the greatest Apple pie.:wub:   But No Lutefisk that I remember.

Tony

Tony, are you referring to 'ebelskiver'.   Every year the Luthern church has an 'ebelskiver' supper. We usually try to go every year, I shouldn't because of the sugar, but hey.. I can fall off the wagon once in a while.    A lady I know who is in her 80's still uses her family recipe, and has her grandmothers cast iron ebelskiver pan. She tells stories of when she was a young girl and families had quarrels about who would inherit the ebelskiver pan. Usually it always went to the oldest daughter. Making me hungry.

ps: she also told (corrected) me that it is not pronounced like it is spelled and that only a true 'dane' can pronounce it. Something like 'ublske' only all rolled into a single sound with kind of a slur at the end. Each year she forgives me for not pronouncing it correctly. Like she says, 'what the he** does Scotsman know'.

Great thread. This could lead to some great food conversations. 

I like to cook and to try new recipes, but I'm one of those cooks who uses every pot/pan/dish/spoon/etc.  just to make  toast.

I LOVE MY KRAUT WITH THE CARAWAY SEED IN IT. LOVE IT WITH KEILBASA SAUAGE. LOVE TO PUT IT ON MY TATERS. LIVER AND ONION..YUCK...ANYONE EVER HAVE POOR MANS SPINANCH? BEET GREEN TOPS WITH VINEAGER AND BUTTER. I LOVE THEM.

My mother would cook Lutefisk for Christmas eve supper. Pretty mush tasteless other than being smothered in melted butter. Not much texture and usually kind of slimy.  

My two brothers-in-law would spend the afternoon on the barn because they said the cows smelled better that the cooking fish.

In Norway there is no tradition of eating Lutefisk. It was a poor persons food, eaten only if you couldn't afford better. For the most part it was the poorer Scandinavians that came to the USA since there was more opportunity here than in there home country. Eating Lutefisk here became a custom because it was what they were accustomed to in their home county.

My dad was from Norway and fished in Alaska.  All winter long we ate lutefisk, salt salmon, salt black cod , and salt herring  with butter and potatoes.   Life was good.  Didn't have much money but we were never hungry.

Hagar the Horrible , They use to eat something like that everyday 👍⛵️Going sack Paris lol no wonder Vikings were so feared 

WHO LIKES KRAUT WITH CARWAY SEED IN IT?

666,  I like it also. It doesn't have quite the 'wang' that plain kraut has. It also doesn't have quite the aroma, so I can get it past the wife a bit easier. I just kick it up with some German mustard.  (but when she is gone, I usually hit the 'hard stuff')

In Butte MT at the mining museum there is an exhibit about how the miners would make their own by burying the cabbage in crocks in the ground and let it ferment.  The wife didn't even want to read about it.     mmmmmmm good.

3 hours ago, farmall666 said:

WHO LIKES KRAUT WITH CARWAY SEED IN IT?

Is there any other way TO eat kraut?

I understand it is salted cod fish soaked in lye water.

It used to come in barrels on the train for the fall church events.

It has to be boiled in water perfectly to be good and it is then dipped in melted butter when eaten.

If not, it is worse than snot and has the smell of a dead minnows packed in your dirty underwear and left under the porch for a year.

The true Norwegian says it's an acquired taste.

I ENED UP NOT GOING. IT WAS TODAY. ENED UP BUYING SOME BB CHICKEN AT THE DELI.

You missed the chance of your lifetime at least until next year! Or you break down and come to central MN

Since he missed it, we can get one of those "go fund me" sites going and get a few dollars together and get him some Lutefisk sent for Christmas, (If we can ship has mat) and he can get all the fixings and  cook the stuff right there at home. 

Heres where the "go fund me me" comes in, for the hospital bills after his wife smells what he is doing in her kitchen and smacks him upside the head with a frying pan. 

We had this wonderful Norwegian heritage experience quite a few Christmas while growing up,, of my fond holiday memories this isn't one.  

15 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

We had this wonderful Norwegian heritage experience quite a few Christmas while growing up,, of my fond holiday memories this isn't one.  

Keith-

7 hours ago, Owen Aaland said:

This has been replayed many times over the years on WCCO radio.

Oh yes, heard that many times.  

On 10/23/2017 at 7:33 PM, pete23 said:

Oh yes, heard that many times.  

On a related note.  Found this box in the basement; repurposed of course.

i believe this box is probably close to 50 years old.

E352FE95-DAC6-4D20-94B7-6292F09DAECA.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

On a related note.  Found this box in the basement; repurposed of course.

i believe this box is probably close to 50 years old.

E352FE95-DAC6-4D20-94B7-6292F09DAECA.jpeg

Does the box still stink?

8 hours ago, mader656 said:

Does the box still stink?

Yes, but for different reasons.  More of a musty moldy smell now. 

Just think 50 lbs and “don’t freeze”.

My grandpa Sundberg used to get it in a wooden barrel and kept it on the back porch ! Oh how I hated going in the back door, hold your nose and run quick !

I talked with one of the Norwegian Lutherans yesterday who has helped with the Lutefisk Feed for over 35 years.

He helped get 1,250 lbs of Lutefisk ready for the big supper tonight in Clark, SD.

It must be good as they have yet to find a cat that will eat the left overs.

For $20.00, it is all you can eat? 

Don't miss out.