Sign in to follow this  
farmall666

LUTEFISH

AREA CHURCH IS HAVING A LUTEFISH DINNER NEXT WEEKEND. NEVER HAD IT. WHAT IS IT AND WHATS IT TASTE LIKE? THINKING ON GOING.

I will say prayer for you ! Years ago I had a terrible rabbit problem so I got a hold of some of the juice that's left over from cooking the stuff ( USE RUBBER GLOVES WHEN HANDLING ) and I poured it on the rabbit trails. When they run on their trails their hind legs become paralyzed so they can't run and you can then dispatch them! ( P.S. don't eat them afterward, feed them to the Vultures ).

Have an aunt from MN that reminisces about it. Always thought I would get her some for Christmas. Can't find any in our area. Uncle is grateful for that. Hazmat fees make online ordering and shipping cost prohibitive even though I love her. Uncle says she would want all the rest of us to sample it. Be kinda like the Jim Jones saga.

I read somewhere that it was originally invented to poison Viking invaders.   Church may have a hidden message for you.......

It's codfish soaked in lye for a few days. 'Nuff said.......

I only had it once. Wouldn't mind having it again, but it costs more than it's worth. Kind of like pickled herring except it doesn't taste pickled. You can just cook fish in water at home and call it torsk.

FYI,

I'm not even Norwegian but it's called "lutefisk".

Come on up here to northern North Dakota and Minnesota the have lutefisk and meatball suppers every fall at the churches. Never have figured out the lefse thing either. For you German people the south central part of the state usually has a sauerkraut day or party going on about the same time. Not to change the subject but one of the churches this time of year would have a "polka " mass biggest church service of the year for them.

5 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Come on up here to northern North Dakota and Minnesota

Yup - and like said above, it called "lutefisk" up here.

best, randy

dated a girl in high school with the last name Lutefisk...

Pardon me! It was Luketick... nevermind. 

My aunt pronounces it lutefisk but I knew what farmall666 meant. Years ago I inquired about it at our local Walmart, they had a place they could get it for me on special order but my uncle persuaded me not to. Quality probly wouldn't have been as good as the " fresh " lutefisk from the region where the recipe has been passed down through the generations

Doesn't the Swedish store chain Akea sell it in their deli section. Believe I got a jar once.  No one in our house would eat it, including the Cat and Dog.

I expected salty pickled fish, it was bland without any distinguishing features, including fishy.

Interesting. I like pickeled and smoked herring. Lutefisk I've never tried. I'll try almost anything once. I'm a huge sushi fan and there can be some exotic rolls. Most are good. Only a couple times has anything thrown me radically off.

I live up here and won't touch the stuff. Most folks here don't. Not even my MIL who is proud of her "norski" heritage.

Rick

One of the Lutheran churches in town has their Lutefisk and MEATBALL dinner this coming weekend. (interesting that spellcheck didn't recognize lutefisk)

There is almost always an alternative menu for the victims, that get drug in kicking and screaming.

Dad always claimed that it was cod fish, that was half digested when it hit your plate.....:unsure:

ENJOY----:lol:

Mike

44 minutes ago, mikem said:

One of the Lutheran churches in town has their Lutefisk and MEATBALL dinner this coming weekend. (interesting that spellcheck didn't recognize lutefisk)

There is almost always an alternative menu for the victims, that get drug in kicking and screaming.

Dad always claimed that it was cod fish, that was half digested when it hit your plate.....:unsure:

ENJOY----:lol:

Mike

The way I read one time that is what it is. Cod fish soaked in lye and rinsed 7 times to break down the fish.

I remember watching Bizarre Foods TV show once. That guy will eat a 10 day old road kill cat, but Lukefisk he couldn't handle.

11 hours ago, farmall666 said:

AREA CHURCH IS HAVING A LUTEFISH DINNER NEXT WEEKEND. NEVER HAD IT. WHAT IS IT AND WHATS IT TASTE LIKE? THINKING ON GOING.

I don't know , but I wish I was there going with ya z❓

THIS CHURCH ALSO HAS MEATBALLS ALSO. MAYBE I WILL STICK WITH THEM. WHY THEY SERVE MEATBALLS ALSO? BY THE WAY I LOVE KRAUT..I AM GERMAN.

Perhaps to give people an option? I've never understood headcheese either. Well, I understand how it came about just the presentation leaves something to be desired.

Just give me pig's feet and kraut with potatoes  and northern beans along with some apple sauce on the side.   However, picked beef tongue on a cracker goes good also.  BTW  a good cold beer always accompanies the above!

All the older generation around here used to do pigs feet, head cheese , blood sausage and all of that. The weirdest thing I ever thought was all the older generation loves chicken feet. Some families will fight over the feet . I will take the wishbone myself. 

It is a taste and a smell you will either like or hate there seems to be no in between! all the  Norwegian heritage Lutheran churches around here have a Lutefisk supper or dinner once a year. The older generations look forward to it . I am German Catholic heritage we stick to sausage and potato breakfasts or dinners at the Catholic churchs in the area.