farmall55

544 row crop hydraulic problems!!

Hello everybody, my 544 is giving me hydraulic problems, loud wine when running and shutter in steering wheel, also rear remote is dead, overfilled buy a gallon, fluid is milky, could it be fluid and clogged filter?? Rear remote and 3 point just kept getting weaker till it stopped, 4 point still moves but jerky, also where cal I drain fluid from and how many gallons does it call for?? Any and all help is appreciated !! Thanks

Sounds like the hydraulic pump is going bad. Drain the fluid and pull the pump. It’s on the left side. Gear may be working it’s way off

Sounds like the filter is clogged. Need to drain fluid, change filters and while you have the fluid out of it, I would pull the pto out of it and check and see how much crud is in the bottom of the housing. Best time to clean it is when you change the fluid. The loud whine and shuttering in the steering sounds like the pump is starving for fluid. I bought a used Farmall 544 and it was doing the same thing. The above is what I did to fix it.  Eason

Here you go. Hope this helps. First pic is capacities, second is where I got the info. 

IMG_3987.JPG

IMG_3988.JPG

5 minutes ago, farmall55 said:

Thank you very much for info!! I apprrciate it!!👍

You're welcome

Does new filter come with gasket for cover??  What's best place to get filter from ?? Thanks

I believe it does.  Any CIH dealer will have that in stock I would think

Sledgehammer does it have locations in manual as to where to drain all the fluid?? Thanks again 

There should be a big plug under the belly drawbar. I'm not sure about the trans because mine is a hydro.  Eason

16 hours ago, farmall55 said:

Sledgehammer does it have locations in manual as to where to drain all the fluid?? Thanks again 

Mine is a Hydro also.  I will try and remember to look tonight when I get home.  

Thank you again guys!! If you find anything in manual that'd be great!! I appreciate it👍👍

On 10/17/2017 at 9:44 AM, farmall55 said:

Thank you again guys!! If you find anything in manual that'd be great!! I appreciate it👍👍

Sorry I didn't get to it last night. First two pics are from opp manual on changing filters.  Third one is the numbers that coordinate with pic 4 plug locations.  Hope that helps  

IMG_4012.JPG

IMG_4013.JPG

IMG_4014.JPG

IMG_4015.JPG

sledgehammer, thank you again that is exactly what I needed!! filter was ordered today and hopefully I get to flush fluid and replace filter this weekend and report back with results!! again I appreciate your help and time and all the excellent manual pics/info!! thanks again!!

1 hour ago, farmall55 said:

sledgehammer, thank you again that is exactly what I needed!! filter was ordered today and hopefully I get to flush fluid and replace filter this weekend and report back with results!! again I appreciate your help and time and all the excellent manual pics/info!! thanks again!!

You're welcome. I like to help but would recommend trying to find an operators manual. It is well worth the money.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F161725292966

that's next on my to get list!! its the most important tool in the box lol!! thanks again bud

Any time

update!! changed filter yesterday, was pretty nasty and clogged, cleaned screen then went after all the hydraulic oil, which was really dirty and who knows last it was flushed!! filled it up with new hytran and viloa no more whine, shuttering and rear remote is working again!!  like brand new again!! like to thank everyone again for all the help and advice!! I truly appreciate it!! thanks again!!

4 minutes ago, farmall55 said:

update!! changed filter yesterday, was pretty nasty and clogged, cleaned screen then went after all the hydraulic oil, which was really dirty and who knows last it was flushed!! filled it up with new hytran and viloa no more whine, shuttering and rear remote is working again!!  like brand new again!! like to thank everyone again for all the help and advice!! I truly appreciate it!! thanks again!!

Glad it worked. 

On 10/15/2017 at 9:37 PM, Eason said:

Sounds like the filter is clogged. Need to drain fluid, change filters and while you have the fluid out of it, I would pull the pto out of it and check and see how much crud is in the bottom of the housing. Best time to clean it is when you change the fluid. The loud whine and shuttering in the steering sounds like the pump is starving for fluid. I bought a used Farmall 544 and it was doing the same thing. The above is what I did to fix it.  Eason

1agree.  Had nearly the same problem with a friends 460.  Water in the fluid and a filter that had probably never been changed.  It took a complete fluid purge and a new filter to cure it.  At least start there before pulling the pump which would be my next guess.

FYI, if the 504 is like the 460 there are multiple drains you have to open to get it all out.  Id consider adding something like Seafoam tran fluid too to get the rest of the water.  Some IH tractors seem to just funner water into the tranny for some reason. Ive been told that it is coming from the shifter if the seal is bad and that there was a fix for it but have never looked into it in any detail.  Water in the fluid creates a scum on the filter and eventually blocks it up.  You can clean them but if it hasnt been changed in a long time its time for a new one but make sure ALL of the old fluid is gone before putting it in or you will have to do it again.