Sign in to follow this  
Lt.513-2

New addition Farmall M

Today the F20 was put to work pulling the new project home. The M only lived about 1/2 mile away, through hills valleys. Not sure how long the tractor sat idle. Engine is loose and radiator has decent looking fluid in it, clutch may need some attention or adjustment ? I was a little worried how the F20 would do. It did an excellent job pulling through the decent hills between my house and the farm it lived on. It is a 1947.  I'm not sure if I would need to make YouTube video ( which I haven't signed up yet) so I can post a video here , or can I just copy and paste?

IMG_1274.JPG

IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

It looks like a nice one to start with

Nice M.  They are still hiding out there tucked away.

I worked on a barn East of you in Chester County years ago. There was an H in that barn that was no doubt an original low hour tractor  sitting on the tires it came with. I wanted it really badly but the owners wouldn't make a decision one way or the other.

Nice looking M

i have a 48 M. Best tractor I've ever had. 

Thanks everyone! Today was just trying to get it to run. The starter needs help, it's still the 6 volt positive ground. Most likely will need a carb clean. The engine barely turns over...had a few puffs with it turning over but no good "pops". So things were getting the best of me, I coasted back and then down the drive to the road. The  M fired a little and then died. The trusty F20 had to come and rescue it back to the house. It was getting late in the day so i don't have pictures of my youngest son steering the tractor. His face was priceless as we went around the barn on a slope.. he thought it was going to tip over. It was the first time he steered with a push pole on the front of a tractor, so a lot of coaching was in order. He did do a good job once he got the hang of it. 

Tom H the story with the M is similar to yours. I've always wanted a M. I was on the farm a few years ago hunting groundhogs and i seen it sitting there. A few years pass, he came to the shop, that's when i asked him what his plans were. He wasn't ready at the time to let it go. He comes a year later and asked what i would give for it. I said without looking it over good i would't give over $800. He and i set up a time and got to looking it over, I offered $500 and the tractor was mine. There is a few " farmer fixes " to address nothing that a little time and money won't solve.

Jason

Update the M is running good. Just a carb clean and a pop start to get it fired up ! It runs good,  but i think it may need a few RPM's. There is some valve tap, still runs smooth though. Doesn't smoke hardly at all. The tires seem to have some " bounce " in them when in 5th gear. Could this be from sitting flat for quite awhile ? Or maybe the brand of tires ?

Jason

Looks like a good start and a good price.  Tires that have sat like that for years without being used can develop a "flat spot" for sure.  That could be the tires and it could be the speed of 5th gear.  Not that there is anything wrong with your tractor just more speed will find more bounce anyhow regardless of tire or tractor.  The tires look to have very good tread left.

Looks great!  I love an M.  Have fun!

An update on the M, Adjusted the valves to try and get the valve tap out. The manual says .017 hot. I did run it for about  15 minutes or so . Started it up and ran good until i took it down to idle. It was revving up and down like a carburetor issue , i think i may have set the valves a little too tight ? Any thoughts ? I'm going to try again and see if i run it longer and adjust the valves at that time.

Jason

On 10/30/2017 at 6:41 AM, Lt.513-2 said:

An update on the M, Adjusted the valves to try and get the valve tap out. The manual says .017 hot. I did run it for about  15 minutes or so . Started it up and ran good until i took it down to idle. It was revving up and down like a carburetor issue , i think i may have set the valves a little too tight ? Any thoughts ? I'm going to try again and see if i run it longer and adjust the valves at that time.

Jason

The surging you are describing could be the governor acting up. Probably needs lubricated to free the weights up. Good luck! Nice M.

Dad uses his 460 gas on a PTO GEN when he needs to, it's governor is really slow to react to the load.  you can watch the lights go up and down