hello,

looking for some help please.  the dozer will turn left but want turn right.  pull right lever back and hit right steering brake engine just bogs alittle but no turning.  also when you pull  both levers back tractor keeps on going.  I am think right side steering clutch is stuck.  if I open inspection holes on rear over dozer and tie steering lever back and using a pry bar turn clutch drum should it turn?  it does.  I was thinking when lever is pulled back steering clutchs where disengaged and that it would not turn final drive to sprocket.  while trying to do this on either side with transmission in neutral tractor moved.  do know nothing about these things please help.   with clutch disengaged shouldn't the clutch drum be able to be spun.

Hello johntyler80.  and welcome.  You will eventually want/need a set of books for your tractor if you don't already have them.  E Bay or binderbooks are a good place to find them. 

For starters you are probably right that the right steer clutch is stuck and disassembly will probably be needed although sometimes a person gets lucky.  The drum should not turn unless the sprocket turns. The drum is a direct hookup to the sprocket through splines and gears.  The disconnect happens internally.

What is the history of the stuck clutch?  Recent?  Along time? or don't know.  If recent you may be able to push against something with the lever back and free it.  I wouldn't bang it cause you may break something.  You might get lucky.

Dennis

ihave parts and service manual.  this tractor sat for yrs.  since drum want turn unless sprocket turns I guess iam good that nothing is broken other than stuck clutchs I guess? because with a pry bar on the drum on either side it will move tractor.  the right side steering lever will not return u have make it.  is this because the clutchs are stuck or the spring inside the clutch pack broke maybe.  also steering levers are not adjusted out the same would that  affect anything. thanks for the help so far.

john,

Sound like you know more than you think. Good investigation. These folks warned me that if they wont steer its a big problem.

Wish you the best on the clutch work. Pictures might help?

Regards,

Chris

You mite try tying the right steering lever back and put it under a heavy pull or better yet push and see if it will brake free. You could even adjust the right side to maximum throw you may get luck and free it up without a tear down.

Ken

John,

What are you finding out on the stuck steering clutches???

Regards,

Chris

John,

Good luck and be careful.

We do need some pictures too!

Regards,

Chris

Johntyler80

You are correct in your diagnosis. You have a right side clutch that is stuck. Sometimes they can be freed by bumping against a tree or other immovable object, but be careful you don't break something else. As farmalldr suggested, you should get the books on it. Meantime I can assist you in teardown if it comes to that. Should be able to help with parts too if needed. If you have any additional questions feel free to email me at steve@sadygerts.com. Good luck. Steve. www.Constructionparthq.com an SA Dygert's Co. (formerly PD Mechanical)