Sign in to follow this  
bitty

Snapledge

Does anyone have any experience with an adapter plate on a Class chopper for running a corn head to do snapledge. If so what brands have you seen with what success? We have a 492 series 870 with a processor. We would be wanting a 6 row head

Have you asked at your local dealer? My old boss ran a deere chopper and it seems to me we found the adapter through the dealer but I don't recall for sure. Other guy I know of that used to run Claas never did earlage that I can remember.

https://kooima.com/ Found these guys on the interwebs. I can't say thats the brand we used back in the day but it could be.

try lindquist in Nebraska. http://www.lindquistinconline.com/ or google lindquist adapter.

ChrisNY found a used adapter in Elizabethtown for when i wanted to put my 1063 head on my neighbor's 2115 chopper.

100_1683.JPG

100_1684.JPG

I run earlage through my nh2100 with my gleaner head. Made my own adapter, it's not to hard. Get the head that you want, fab up an adapter. You seem very proficient in that department, should take you a few days. The hardest thing is that most heads are driven from both side so you have to make a through shaft that is driven from the left side that also drives a a roll or beater to help the ears into the rolls. If you chop the corn to dry it will shell a lot through the rolls which can be a problem. I like it in the mid to low 30% range. Makes great feed. 

Bill, does he run a pan under his rolls?

45 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

Bill, does he run a pan under his rolls?

i don't remember. it hasn't been used for the last few years. the chopper engine has issues, so i have been using my Uni to makethe HMEC. a lot slower, but it gets the job done.

100_2174.JPG

Yes, we run a Kooima on our Claas 492 with 8 row Deere head on it. Works great. Have not snapped any in last 2 years but are going to this year as got some acres that wont mature to make grain. 

And the difference between snaplage and earlage is?

9 minutes ago, MTO said:

1 letter😆

1 hour ago, MTO said:

ya just different names for the same process.

Is running a processor good enough or do I need to get a recutting drum bottom? 

1 hour ago, bitty said:

Is running a processor good enough or do I need to get a recutting drum bottom? 

A screen makes a nicer product but your processor will work just fine. The only difference I find is that with out the screen you get more leafs and long pieces in it as with the screen it's all sized small and uniform. 

2 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

A screen makes a nicer product but your processor will work just fine. The only difference I find is that with out the screen you get more leafs and long pieces in it as with the screen it's all sized small and uniform. 

Ok. Thanks again for the advice. I am hoping to get the cheap adapter and look for a head for next year is my plan. A neighbor would like to do some and I would like to do some in the years we have some surplus

9 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

i was going to mention the longer leaves, too. the cows tend to sort them out, so that the bunk needs to be cleaned out fairly often.

With good equiptment earlage is a breeze. I always enjoyed hauling it. We did not have a recutting drum and just ran it through the processor. There were some leaves but i didnt think it was bad.

Will work fine with just processor. 

Slight highjack, can you put it in a bunk or does it have to go in an upright?  Does it ensilage like regular cut does?  Just a few questions I don't know the answer to.

7 minutes ago, red211 said:

Slight highjack, can you put it in a bunk or does it have to go in an upright?  Does it ensilage like regular cut does?  Just a few questions I don't know the answer to.

If I make any it will go in a bunk. Guys 8 miles from me put some in a bunk although they have a different shade of green chopper than we do. Want as narrow of bunk you can have and still pack it all with the equipment you have . I would use the wheelloader to pack it.  Cover well and prevention for rodents is important also. 

No more uprights here in use

We put it in bunk and pack like silage. On occasion have bagged it with truck bagger. Have never put in upright. Biggest problem with bags is deer and rodents ripping bag. 

We use our uni - harvester with a screen and fill our stave silo and works great.

Too cool n wet here to attempt it here.  Had guy 1x do it for us on the island since it is a touch drier.  Never was that good.  Toowet so more mold than we wanted.  Stacked in bunker.  Inland its either in bunkers or bag....bags more probable.  I believe my custom guy has a Lindquist (like one at Berry mach there...the advertise over on coast) posted above.  And iirc had a JD head.  Only used 1 or 2 x and sitting in heated shop now.  Never worked nice here.  But goooood stuff if you can get it in right.  Inland guys have big stacks for bigger dairies.  Ones I know love it.

10 hours ago, red211 said:

Did some hauling for a 2,000 cow dairy doing earlage and they piled it on concrete. Huge pile. Did it just like silage. I think they sprayed some sort of acid on it with the chopper like you do innocullant.

i love high moisture ground ear corn. i substitute it pound for pound with corn meal and the cows still produce well. plus, you get extra fiber and an extra ton or so per acre by feeding the cobs instead of leaving them in the field. i use bags, have used the upright silo in the past.