Sign in to follow this  
IHRedDrive

Loadstar 1600

I'm looking to buy this '69. Needs a new carburetor, new steps, floor work and interior. Frame and sheet metal solid. A widow is selling. What carburetor should I buy? Has a 2 barrel on it now. I want to keep it stock as possible. Thanks

34624.jpeg

34622.jpeg

34618.jpeg

You should be able to get numbers of carb and buy a rebuild kit at napa. Saves money over buying a new one. 

What engine ,,,   Try a good cleaning and putting a kit in it like 806 said ,   Does it run ? How long has it been sitting?

IHRedDrive

If you have a V8 304,  345,  I would think that it would have a Holley 2300 carburetor.  There will be a number stamped in the air horn of the carburetor near  the choke plate.  If it is a Holley I would think that a  parts kit will be available.

GT&T   

On my Binders I put Motorcraft carbs off 302 Fords on them, easy to find and work great. I hate Holleys!

It runs, not dialed in due to carb issue. The man who owned it kept it in his shop unused for the last three years. V8. 345 I believe. The seller drained off the old fuel and changed all the fluids. Didn't realize the carb options and could rebuild. Thanks

Many old Holleys have had the float bowl screws over tightened, warping the body flange and causing rich running from an internal fuel leak. Use a fine file to check for this, and file it flat again.

If you buy a kit, be sure it has the rubber-like gaskets, not cork. Cork ones are probably shrunken badly from sitting on the shelf for years.

13 hours ago, R Pope said:

If you buy a kit, be sure it has the rubber-like gaskets, not cork. Cork ones are probably shrunken badly from sitting on the shelf for years.

Will do. What else should I be looking at mechanically. Common things that happen with these trucks.

Keep an eye on the water pipes from the pump to the front of the heads, they rust out and lose antifreeze. I don't think they are available new any more. I convert the distributor to electronic ignition, they run and start much better. The floorboards under the driver's feet rust through, and the body mount goes with it causing the body to sag a bit. 345 is not a common engine in a '69 Loadstar, more likely a 304. For some unknown reason, Cornbinder chose to put the bigger engines in pickups and one-tons. A 304 is a low deck engine, 345 and 392 are taller and wider.

I stumbled across a vendor who has a fuel injection kit built from a  Chevy V8 OBD2 TB FI redesigned for the small block IH V/8.

I'll bet it would cure all the carb and ignition issues on the 48 YO IH.

Much more expensive than a carb kit but just think of how well the old girl would start under all conditions.

The only carb I ever was successful with on the IH SB V8 was the HOLLEY model that IH provided from the the factory.

Believe it was a Holley 1900 series, smaller and different internals from the 2300 but with same footprint and linkage .  Never could get the 2300 to operate correctly on my Travelal V304.

The 2300 sold for 69.95 in the 70's at places like Kragan in Ca.  I would start, it would run, just never ran as it should. Careful power valve and jet selection could have been the solution.

If you have to have a new carb places like Summitracing and Jegs still new Holley 2300's and linkage.

Brakes seem the big issue on the old Medium Duties in 2017.

Bill Hamilton makes and supplies excellent tried and true Fuel injection kits and components for IH or almost any other engine

Binders are his forte though ,.

Along with excellent support , There is all the info you need over on Binder Planet

Hamilton Fuel Injection

Not really a reply to your post but I just seen these two in Washington Oklahoma

1014171121.jpg

On 10/12/2017 at 7:09 PM, Kevingweq said:

Bill Hamilton makes and supplies excellent tried and true Fuel injection kits and components for IH or almost any other engine

Binders are his forte though ,.

Along with excellent support , There is all the info you need over on Binder Planet

Hamilton Fuel Injection

Great info thanks