Sign in to follow this  
Willie B

Tractor pulls

We held our fourth? annual tractor pull yesterday. FBO our local volunteer fire company. The town of 1200 people in south western VT (Danby) 50  years ago boasted 70 dairy farms shipping milk. Now the count is 3. Nonetheless, most of the old tractors are still around. As we once had the IH dealer there were plenty of IH tractors. 

Yesterday, the IH tractors were very well represented. I'll opine that default was the explanation, but my good friend Tractor Dan P was the final winner with his Farmall 560 (1959) . One big Oliver piloted by someone unfamiliar with it, couldn't be shifted into low range. Another big Oliver wasn't brought to the pull, as its owner had just undergone hip replacement surgery with major complications. A Case 500 usually a major contender wasn't there either, its owner ain't sayin' why. Nonetheless, a gorgeous Farmall 460 Piloted, and owned by Jesse Aiken of Claremont (or close by) NH made a noble show, but tonnage mattered at the end of the day. He pulled more than several a ton heavier. 

Everybody turns out. Some like chicken barbecued, others love tractors, others favor beautiful color in one of the most beautiful spots on the planet.  Mr. Pearce with one wing in a sling had been discharged from hospital a day earlier, had been threatened with murder if he mounted a tractor, so he waited 'till the missus left to board the 560. There was room on the boat for a few more blocks, but he still did at least as well as the JD 830 he battled until the end. 

If you can, come see us next Columbus Day weekend, a good time is assured.

Willie

What, no pics?!

I have a military spec cell phone I've had about 15 years. I don't take pictures. Tractor Dan P has the same phone, but takes pictures all the time. How many good ones he got, I don't know. He had been operated on a few days earlier for an infected bursa in his elbow. I think he was a little off his game. I'll ask around. Maybe somebody has electronic pictures.

Willie 

Sounds like you had a good time. We have our last pull in our neck of the woods this Saturday. Not sure I can get there due to siatic nerve issues? But would like to take at least one orange (sorry) tractor.

Regards.

Chris

!cid_image145_jpg@01D3439B.jpg

Andy,(one of the extra sons) and his fiance, Amanda on my B275, Zack, (My younger son) on his brother's M, Jessie Aiken on his 460, Tractor Dan P in the last pull of the day. No he didn't pull all 24 800 LB blocks on 1200LB boat. Tractor Dan P in his custom made t shirt. Two water heads I raised trying to stop Liz Capen with Seth's M. 

!cid_image101_jpg@01D3439B.jpg

!cid_image111_jpg@01D3439B.jpg

!cid_image121_jpg@01D3439B.jpg

!cid_image145_jpg@01D3439B.jpg

!cid_image147_jpg@01D3439B.jpg

!cid_image119_jpg@01D3439B.jpg

Part of the Sunday dinner crowd at our table: Mary, (future daughter in law) foreground, Morgan, (blonde) Kate, Zach, (Morgan's brother, Kate's fiance) Zack, (Kate's brother).

My son's work drone, he's a licensed commercial drone pilot.

Liz Capen on Seth's M with my M in the background

Me, on Jessie Aiken's 460, I wish it was mine.

Willie

!cid_image104_jpg@01D3439B.jpg

!cid_image105_jpg@01D3439B.jpg

!cid_image112_jpg@01D3439B.jpg

!cid_image129_jpg@01D3439B.jpg

Very nice family pictures at the pull! The 460 is nice, your M looks good too! Thanks for posting. Makes me want to get out and turn some dirt Saturday too!

Regards,

Chris