Sign in to follow this  
560Dennis

Going look at a 1970 Pick up

Got 1970 ih 3/4 ton 4wd 4speed ? Ithink, that's in a yard with for sale sign  , honestly looks new to me. 

What are the key point to look at , I didn't see A model ? Chrome bumper spray in bedliner . 

LOOK for RUST!  Places like fuel lines, brake lines.  Look to see what is leaking, like power steering, transmission, axles.  See if condition matches miles.  Pretty good chance it was a Brush Truck for a fire dept. and had terrific maintenance.

I bought one of these in Jun of 70.  It was my "pride and joy"  for several years.  $4150 out the door.

Mine was light blue metallic 131" 4X4. Did not have A/C or PS

I got mine from factory stock through the factory dealer in Long Beach Ca. Otherwise about the only thing I actually chose was the color.  Mkt people had pre chosen the options and they simply brought my truck from a holding yard the next day.

As new:

If it is a 70 it will be a 1200D.  Early 70's will have a large transfer case that has a large rectangular PTO cover.

The engine should be a V345 and the transmission will be a granny low T98AIC 4 speed.

Std 1200D GVW was 6100# with a 7700# option.

Only standard in cab equipment was a heater!

The worst problem with the LDL was daemon rust especially after all these years. Rust in places you would not expect.

Above the windshield, inner fenders::: Put it up on a rack, and look in any area that was not open to wash-out.

Personally today I would assume max rust and would make sure the spring hangers and Steering areas of chassis are rebuildable.

If you find one that is not like a sieve, you have a keeper.

Unless it was abused by a pack of marauding teenagers, mechanically it should be repairable.

If some one went the stupid route of repowering by ford or chevy.

Pass on it!

Ditto on the looking for rust in stange places. The cowl and where it drains down between the fender and door. Other spots that don't drain. These trucks are deceiving. A lot of them look great at fifty foot but the closer you get,ugh!.

thought would take my son in law with ,me called , the number let it ring no answer , try one more time

LOL 🤓Fellas there all "worth a look" Good luck bud. 

My 66 Binder lived its life in Arizona , I saw absolutely no rust on it .

YET , when it was striped down , quite a bit of rust at both drainage ends of windshield behind dash. Also rocker panels were damage with rust, floor under mat. . Luckily , my donor  had the parts we needed to cut and weld.

I think anything at age of late sixties early seventies , you can expect some cancer some where

You just never know.

Tony

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:17 AM, oleman said:

I bought one of these in Jun of 70.  It was my "pride and joy"  for several years.  $4150 out the door.

Mine was light blue metallic 131" 4X4. Did not have A/C or PS

I got mine from factory stock through the factory dealer in Long Beach Ca. Otherwise about the only thing I actually chose was the color.  Mkt people had pre chosen the options and they simply brought my truck from a holding yard the next day.

As new:

If it is a 70 it will be a 1200D.  Early 70's will have a large transfer case that has a large rectangular PTO cover.

The engine should be a V345 and the transmission will be a granny low T98AIC 4 speed.

Std 1200D GVW was 6100# with a 7700# option.

Only standard in cab equipment was a heater!

The worst problem with the LDL was daemon rust especially after all these years. Rust in places you would not expect.

Above the windshield, inner fenders::: Put it up on a rack, and look in any area that was not open to wash-out.

Personally today I would assume max rust and would make sure the spring hangers and Steering areas of chassis are rebuildable.

If you find one that is not like a sieve, you have a keeper.

Unless it was abused by a pack of marauding teenagers, mechanically it should be repairable.

If some one went the stupid route of repowering by ford or chevy.

Pass on it!

Keep it all IH. No Cummins, Ford, chevy engines.