Sign in to follow this  
ATart1066

Looking for grille screen 88 series

I purchased a 3688 about a month ago. Went 5 hours to look at it and the pictures on the Internet showed the tractor complete. When I got there the grille screen was missing. The dealer had been using it to rake hay and it had came out and they couldn't find it. The dealer said he would find one and replace it. So after 3 weeks I called him and he could not find one in a scrap yard but cnh has 1 old stock left for 800 and some dollars. He doesn't want to spend that much and has told me I was on my own to replace it, even though the deal was he would replace it.  I have called him several times and will not return my call. 

I have called all states and Franzens yards and both do not have one. Where else should I be calling?  I am not really interested in buying the old stock from cnh but the tractor looks so funny without it. Thanks for your help.

-Austin

My bet is there are more tractors than grilles. Unfortunately since it was the early '80s, IH was circling the toilet, and the farm economy was already down the tubes, there weren't a whole lot of these tractors to start with.

This might be an opportunity for someone with a small shop to start reproducing them. If'n you could produce them with a fair profit for half of what CNH is asking for that NOS unicorn, you'd sell a few hundred anyway.

42 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

My bet is there are more tractors than grilles. Unfortunately since it was the early '80s, IH was circling the toilet, and the farm economy was already down the tubes, there weren't a whole lot of these tractors to start with.

This might be an opportunity for someone with a small shop to start reproducing them. If'n you could produce them with a fair profit for half of what CNH is asking for that NOS unicorn, you'd sell a few hundred anyway.

Please see the above link.....I think someone has had that idea.

Maybe great minds think alike...

Mike is the man of the day. He lists them. And at only $300 instead of $800.

1 hour ago, George 2 said:

Mike is the man of the day. He lists them. And at only $300 instead of $800.

X2, Mike is a great guy to deal with.

1 hour ago, Mike56073 said:

X2, Mike is a great guy to deal with.

x3

Well okay then... I don't click on every link in every post I read. I took the response to mean "talk to him, he might know where to find one" since after all he does restore 88 series tractors and probably knows all the honey holes for parts scrounging that aren't his own back yard.

I will revert to my original response: Tell the dealer to come get his tractor. It was not delivered as advertised and it is clearly a breach of contract. Yes, I'd take him to court if he didn't come get the tractor and return every penny of my money, over what is now a $300 grille screen. What was he doing to this tractor to cause the grille screen to fall off, and then not be able to find it? Was he raking hay down the side of Mt Everest or something? What kind of dealer takes a tractor out and beats it like a government mule AFTER they sell it?

I actually don't buy that the grill screen "fell off" but that's a rant for another day.

Im with matt on this. That dealer needs to hold up his end of the deal period! I would tell him about mikes grill screen and price in a voicemail then tell him to buy it and get it to you or the next call he gets will be from your lawyer! Im sick of shitty businessmen getting away with continued shady crap! If you want give me his name and number and ill call him and tell him im representing you and were exploring what legal recourse you have! Im just in that kind of mood tonight! That way mike gets business and you get whats owed you without spending more money!

It's getting to the point that dealers are happier to sell something far away because if you are willing to travel the distance to look at it I think they figure you will buy it anyway . Even if it isn't quite right. In your a case , they have your money and could care less about you. I have been in your shoes, you trusted him and then he screws you.

Thanks for your help. I called tripplertractor. Has the grille and emblem along with headlight bezels for 435 total. Beats 800 dollars just for the screen!

I called the guy I purchased the tractor from once yesterday and this morning at 7 and again at 12:30. He texted me back around 1:30 and said sorry he has been out of town all week and just got my voicemail and texts! I had texted him yesterday about the 435 dollar deal. He said that look like a good deal and probably the way to go. Still think he could have replied to me before now. He might replace it after all!

Not interested in any telling us who the dealer is? 

I finally got a hold of the guy tonight. He said go ahead and get the parts to fix the front end. I have to purchase them from triplertractors and then send him an invoice and he will pay half of the 435 by sending me a check. I don't really like that I have to buy it and end up paying half but that seem to be the only way I was going to get anything. I will just be glad to have this settled and the front end back together.

On October 8, 2017 at 8:30 PM, Jaa600 said:

Not interested in any telling us who the dealer is? 

It is Parker and Sons equipment in Claypool Indiana

29 minutes ago, Mike56073 said:

Pretty sure that's Mike Links as the seller

I think you're right now that I opened the description... he had put that the cost was $435 and I just stumbled on that on ebay. 

Lets see a picture of the 3688!  I dont know of another one around here.  Cool looking tractor and I would love to have one.

2 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

I think you're right now that I opened the description... he had put that the cost was $435 and I just stumbled on that on ebay. 

Yea but u got bezels and emblem to

Mike

Here's some pictures for you Bill 

Alan

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

1 hour ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

Yea but u got bezels and emblem to

Mike

Ohh ok. Makes sense.

8 hours ago, lance358436 said:

But the screen was 300. So how does half of 435 add too 300 ?

He got the bezels $85, and the IH emblem $50.  Screen is new at $300.   SOOOO   $300+$85+$50 = $435 ;)

Mike

Nevermind. It was late when I wrote that.    the seller of the tractor should take care of it.