Sign in to follow this  
G Huffman

Tricks to start old dozer that sat for a long time

I acquired an 1939 D2.  I tried to start it but I was getting black smoke form at least one cylinder but mostly white smoke.  I suspect the rings are either stuck or cylinders are worn.   Anyone got any Ideas?  I hate to use either on the yellow beasts so that is my last thing to try.

Although I will probably be stoned for responding, I would suggest the following:  If there is a way to get some oil or ATF into the cylinders, even if you need to pour a cup of engine oil in the intake manifold inlet, I would try. Some of these crawlers had a small priming cup on the intake that you could use to add oil.

Then run the pony with compression release off then on for 5-10 minutes before you put the fuel to it. You may need to have the cylinders heated up hotter to get it to bark off. If the fuel has been in a long time, I would drain and refill with fresh fuel and change the filters. Rebleed the entire system.

Dont hate me for knowing this information. Jim.

You could check the air filter condition for black smoke and for white smoke the fuel is't burned on pistons , let turning the starting engine more long time

Did you have the pony motor turning the diesel or did you pull start it?

Let the pony motor turn it with the diesel throttle off for quite a while with compression release in run position. 

This will warm your cylinders up and it will probably start.  

My D2 will smoke white and black puff.  If that happens just shut the diesel throttle and let it clear out and crank longer. 

Might take 15 minutes of steady cranking before it will fire  

new fuel and filters will definitely help  

How is the fuel pressure on the pump gauge? should be in the green or RUN zone. Also,  outside temps play a big part in the warmup procedure. Try starting in the warmest time of day. You can also use a heat gun or hairdryer to get more heat into the intake and cylinders.

Consider yourself lucky. engine is loose and the pony runs. That is 95% of the game with old Cats. 

After you have it spinning for several minutes take a 50 / 50 mixture of gasoline and Marvel Mystery Oil in a squirt can and give it a shot and repeat if necc.