Sign in to follow this  
drglinski

Dream job...?

There was an ice breaker session at work today in which the topic was 'what's your ideal dream job?'  I thought about it long and hard, and when it was my turn, I said 'an agricultural farmer in the 50s.'  People were scratching their heads as to why, so I reflected on it some more.

How much fun would it be to be able to live off of less than 20,000 acres (like today?) To spend your days running an M with a mounted corn picker then turning dirt with (being the rival of the neighborhood with the 'big tractor') W9/WD9 & 4 bottom 70 plow, or my personal favorite, a SMTA-D with a 3 bottom 60/70 plow? Running an H/M with a mounted cultivator sitting in the summer sun like a sparrow on a pole? Going down to the local IH dealer to shoot the bull with the guys, checking out the new models while placing a parts order?  Running an H with a 4 row planter? Growing older and being awed by a 8 row combine?

It doesn't seem so bad to me. I enjoy the letter series and running them to this day.

Granted I didn't live during those times and I'm sure there are plenty of cons to it, which I didn't feel needed stressed because it was 'my dream job.'  

The furthest I would go back and still have the ability to make a comfortable living covering decent acreage would be the 70s.  On that note my idea of retirement has always been to lease everything out but the original homestead and farm with it with my JD 55 and Case 500. 

I'm still looking for that job that pays $250k annually, with generous benefits and 51 weeks of vacation a yr!

6 hours ago, Cattech said:

I'm still looking for that job that pays $250k annually, with generous benefits and 51 weeks of vacation a yr!

I actually found that job.  We spent the week after Thanksgiving on Aruba about 20 years ago.  Listening to Christmas carols on beautiful white sand beaches or the pool deck does NOT get you in the Christmas spirit.

Anyhow,  Aruba needs a really good world class machine shop, could probably use a heavy equipment repair shop too.  I actually talked to a couple machine shop owners about starting an Aruba plant.  Really didn't have to be big and do lots of work.   Just needed to be the destination for Supplier Visits!

I've said that being out raking hay with an H on a beautiful day is one of life's simple pleasures.

But; if I'm going to be on a tractor day in and day out in good weather and bad then I'll have to go more modern. I remember mowing "the 30 acre field" with Granddads Farmall 300 and Woods C80 mower when I was a teenager. I enjoyed it then but now I would need something a little bigger and more comfortable.

1 hour ago, TomH said:

I've said that being out raking hay with an H on a beautiful day is one of life's simple pleasures.

But; if I'm going to be on a tractor day in and day out in good weather and bad then I'll have to go more modern. I remember mowing "the 30 acre field" with Granddads Farmall 300 and Woods C80 mower when I was a teenager. I enjoyed it then but now I would need something a little bigger and more comfortable.

A C80 on a 300??? That's some slow going.

My dream job is already taken by a guy named Anthony Bourdain.

I'm curious about your current job.  I couldn't fathom ever having an "ice breaker session" at my place of employment.

15 hours ago, drglinski said:

There was an ice breaker session at work today in which the topic was 'what's your ideal dream job?'  I thought about it long and hard, and when it was my turn, I said 'an agricultural farmer in the 50s.'  People were scratching their heads as to why, so I reflected on it some more.

How much fun would it be to be able to live off of less than 20,000 acres (like today?) To spend your days running an M with a mounted corn picker then turning dirt with (being the rival of the neighborhood with the 'big tractor') W9/WD9 & 4 bottom 70 plow, or my personal favorite, a SMTA-D with a 3 bottom 60/70 plow? Running an H/M with a mounted cultivator sitting in the summer sun like a sparrow on a pole? Going down to the local IH dealer to shoot the bull with the guys, checking out the new models while placing a parts order?  Running an H with a 4 row planter? Growing older and being awed by a 8 row combine?

It doesn't seem so bad to me. I enjoy the letter series and running them to this day.

Granted I didn't live during those times and I'm sure there are plenty of cons to it, which I didn't feel needed stressed because it was 'my dream job.'  

I wasn't farming in the 50's but I was growing up on a farm like you describe. My Dad & Uncle farmed together. They milked about 20 head of Gurnsey cows and had around 1700 layer chickens. Their big tractor was a 450 back then followed by an M, an H and a C. It was a lot of hard work and I'm sure my Dad struggled to make ends meet at times, but it sure was a great way to grow up.

As TomH said, being out raking hay on a beautiful day is still one of my best memories. In my case it was a Farmall C. 

The really great thing about it was that the whole family worked together. 

6 hours ago, lorenzo said:

My dream job is already taken by a guy named Anthony Bourdain.

If you`d find a woman that could stand you, you wouldn`t hafta cook... duh!

John it sounds like your family still is that way- everyone works together and gets the farming done.  When my dad was my age he farmed for a while but he didn't get any help so he gave that up quick.  

I have my dream job........RETIREMENT! That's given that I have tractors to play with and help out my BIL and nephew every now and then!

Rick

Owning an IH dealership with a machine shop in the back fabricating pulling tractors, and farming around 1000 acres with my son.

When I called the Wisconsin Historical Society to order Line Setting Tickets for several of my IH trucks, I told the guy he had my dream job.  I would go absolute nuts in there with all that IH information!

I just want to be Heff's replacement!

2 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I just want to be Heff's replacement!

Nope. I have enough difficulty dealing with one woman. 

59 minutes ago, Jaa600 said:

Nope. I have enough difficulty dealing with one woman. 

Hef just said "NEXT" if they got out of line..  never ending supply

Being part of the Corps of Discovery.

18 hours ago, MTO said:

If you`d find a woman that could stand you, you wouldn`t hafta cook... duh!

Ha Ha Ha, your right however I don't recall ever seeing Anthony do any cooking on his television show's.

:D

3 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Ha Ha Ha, your right however I don't recall ever seeing Anthony do any cooking on his television show's.

:D

Never saw the dude. Had to google his name after you brought him up. 

So what does he do? Have scantily clad chicks slaving over the stove?

6 minutes ago, MTO said:

Never saw the dude. Had to google his name after you brought him up. 

So what does he do? Have scantily clad chicks slaving over the stove?

I think he travels to remote/less popular regions not travel hotspots of the world and eats local cuisine.

Does western Pa have electricity and indoor plumbing yet.?

24 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

aaw yup! Matter a fact, me and paw did the lektricking us selves! And wheez still got the thunderjugs too!

Image result for metal thunderjugs

electrical hazard fire hazard rats-nest rust unsafe - 3283396608

10 minutes ago, MTO said:

aaw yup! Matter a fact, me and paw did the lektricking us selves! And wheez still got the thunderjugs too!

Image result for metal thunderjugs

electrical hazard fire hazard rats-nest rust unsafe - 3283396608

looks like you may have worked with my father in law

59 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Maybe western Pa does but us here in west central pa run our computer and charge phones on horse farts and deer poo! Darn amish keep buying house we wont have a power company here wont be enough business