Nelson W.

282D engine trouble in a 706 Farmall

Hi to all,

Thanks for all the advise. I'm now pretty sure that the idler gear is the gear that is jumping up and down. I looked at it again today while I was at Dad's farm. My guess is that the idler bolt is broken and letting the gear move up and down. I plan to pull the front of the tractor off and look at the idler gear.  It will have to wait until after hog killing time but I will let you know the result when I find out. Until then, I would like to know if there is a bearing of some kind between the idler gear and the idler shaft? I can see that there is no roller or needle bearing between them but is there a bearing like a rod bearing in there?

Thanks,

Nelson

Trying to make it run with this type of condition will lead to injection pump seizure. That won't make you very happy lol!

Thanks Louie,

I may need to replace the bushing after all the gear and shaft has been through. I'll let you folks know what happens when I get it pulled apart.

330 to 380 PSI from the IH spec book. You need to look at the timing as you can get someone  messing with the trimming screws and you won't ever get enough money to pay for burnt pistons and the likes. All the knocking you describe points you in that direction.