dads706

Concrete sealer... yes or no?

I finally got tired of dealing with the dust from the dirt floor in the machine shed. I posted here a year or so ago for suggestions and finally just told self to do it right once and be done. So, today they poured the first half, and will pour the other half next week. I told them I wanted the floor smoooooth, which they did. A winter project this winter is to electrify the heck out of it and put in plenty of lights and more lights. Probably run just a couple of air lines simply because it is easy and I have an extra compressor. As for a shop, I already have one as well as my wood shop, though I will probably put in a couple saws just to free up room in the wood shop. It will be used mainly for tractor/pickup/misc storage. 

My question.... did any of you seal the concrete in your sheds or just leave it as is? I'm considering sealer because the 706 has some leaks. Not serious but still enough to let you know it drips. I'm not wanting to put a thick seal on it like you will find in some business floors. Mostly just something to keep from staining the floor. The hoarder in me had a chunk of carpet that I was saving (hoarding) just for such a purpose to park the tractor on. But Mrs. Clean (the anti-hoarder) ordered it to the dumpster a while back.   

I sealed mine with a "cure and seal" product. It will not completely eliminate any stains but I think it helps. I put down oil dry on any drips or spills. It will still stain somewhat but not be slick or greasy. The cure and seal is probably not meant to be much of a sealer, it is meant to make the concrete stay wet longer so as to not dry out too quickly. This is supposed to make it better. Same as covering with plastic or keeping the surface damp. Your concrete guys should know about it. Blitz makes drip pans like big cookie sheets for drips. 

I built mine back about 1990. I poured 8" thick with a heavy mix and with rebar and the grid that looks like a fence panel. Then I cut the expansion joints and filled them with a silicone so they did not collect dirt. I told the concrete guy I did not ever want it to crack. I have had a fully loaded 1466 and a D3 dozer on it for a couple of weeks at a time and no cracks. I also did the sealer so it would not stain much. After all these years and repairs I can honestly say the sealer is worth the expense and time. 

I put a sealer on my new shop floor but was told to wait two weeks. There many kinds Menards have some .I sprayed it on with a small garden sprayer and  squeeged it.I got it at a place called Carrols . When I spill oil I put oil dry down but it will leave a stain.Some get real spendy.

I took a different approach. All the hangars we use have epoxy floors so that's what i used on mine. Spills wipe up with paper towels and some 409. I occasionally wash it with some heavy duty floor detergent and it cleans up nice. It's beat up under the lift and around the bench where hot sparks and other stuff falls on it but it's still good to wipe up oil spills. Vehicles with chains chip it up.

My cement contractor suggested I seal my concrete shop floor with some stuff called AKONA.  Think I sprayed it on with a 2-3 gallon sprayer.  I put ten gallons on a 24x36 floor.  It started out really nice, easy to sweep,  anything spilled didn't soak in and stain the concrete.  That all was over 22 years ago.  If you sprayed Brake-Kleen on it you could wipe the sealer off along with whatever you spilled.

If I had a new shop floor to protect now I'd put one of the Epoxy coatings on.  Nothing like them was available back then.  Easy to sweep,  Nothing would soak in and stain concrete.  Just have to be careful to not chip concrete.

I guess it all depends on what you want. For me uncoated and slightly stained is just fine. It is my shop after all. Those epoxy coatings are pretty to look at. 

My tractor show Buddy had a rough old concrete floor in his shop. Wanted something easy to sweep and mop, and smooth enough to roll floor jacks, engine hoists, tool cabinents, creepers, etc. over.  He used something to fill the rough area, then put 6"x 6" red clay tile down.  Has a real dark gray grout.  The tile is amazingly durable.  Think he's replaced one tile that cracked.  Had a couple come loose.  He demonstrated how tough the tiles were by dropping a 1/2" square chisel, edge down, from five feet in the air.  No damage!  Only thing the tiles can't tolerate is welding spatter,  leaves a tiny burnt crater.  Direct hot sparks from an angle grinder discolor them too.  He does most of his grinding outside the shop now.

A smooth non-porous floor is way easier to keep clean.  Broom or mop cleans the sealed floor right up. Easier to roll equipment over.  All depends what kind of work you do in your shop.

I use Rustoleum on my floor. They have driveway, basement and garage, then industrial or something like that. I use the industrial and it stands up pretty well considering we beat it up good. Comes in several colors. I painted my additional about 2 weeks after pouring and got some bubbles thru it. You have to paint when doors can be open- the fumes are bad. One coat on a Saturday, another Sunday and Monday good to go. Also, floor should be warm. I never repainted till July when floor had warmed up. Put it on with 18" roller. Goes on fast. I like the fact that it makes oil clean up fast, often I can just wipe up small areas. If I wash floor (I used a floor scrubber with cheap powder detergent  soap) I rinse down and squeegee it. Attached are pictures of what it looks like after applying. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It is expensive to paint up the clean up is so much easier and less time consuming.

shop 2.jpg

shop 5.JPG

I used Rustoleum garage floor paint. I threw away the flake package and rolled it on with a 24" roller, 2 coats. Expensive but durable. It took about 2 hrs after I cut in the edges with a brush. 40 x80 building.. Easy to clean the floor of oil stains  .just wipe them up. It is a bit slippery when wet though. I have cleaned the floor with Lestoil a few times. Very happy with the job. Did it 15 years ago and still looks good

If you weld on that concrete you should consider what you use, some of those epoxy coatings don't do well with splatter and sparks

For us folks with older concrete floors ( mine poured and sealed in 94' )  

When I spill some oil --Speedy-dry ,Soak up the heavy spill, clean it up , put a little more

Then  I get down on my hands and knees with an 8 inch piece of 2X4 and grind that speedy right into

area until it is dust , scrape with big putty knife , Rinse, lather and repeat if necessary

Usually takes the stains right out:)

Man I feel like a hillbilly reading all these posts. I mean dang it's a shop floor. I sealed mine when new with something the concrete guy had. Use floor dry on oil spills. Sometimes let it set for days on end to soak it up. Yah it probably stains but I never gave it one thought. The very next project I'll be spilling more. I like the looks of epoxy and painted floors but they are slick. I am impressed by some of your floors you guys mention. I mean my idea of clean is a broom and if I have a party in there I open the bay doors and blow it out with leaf blower. If it were me I'd seal it now and put some card board or a drip pan under your tractor if it leaks bad

Just now, Missouri Mule said:

Man I feel like a hillbilly reading all these posts. I mean dang it's a shop floor. I sealed mine when new with something the concrete guy had. Use floor dry on oil spills. Sometimes let it set for days on end to soak it up. Yah it probably stains but I never gave it one thought. The very next project I'll be spilling more. I like the looks of epoxy and painted floors but they are slick. I am impressed by some of your floors you guys mention. I mean my idea of clean is a broom and if I have a party in there I open the bay doors and blow it out with leaf blower. If it were me I'd seal it now and put some card board or a drip pan under your tractor if it leaks bad

I keep a pressure washer handy and shovel dirt under the rear main leak in my pickup....

Curious , Did you lay down plastic ? What mill plastic ? 

👍🏿 yep , get the best especially if you salt the roads , salt will eat that concrete .