Rickster

KB1 Grill

I just purchased a slightly used :P 1948 KB1. Unfortunately, the grill pieces were stripped off of it. My question for all you experts out there is whether the grills off the larger trucks, like the KB3-KB5's would fit my KB1. I've seen a KB1 and larger truck sitting side by side and it looked like the grills were actually the same size. I don't know if the mounting holes would match up or not but I would think that if IH used the same grill pieces for both that the holes would line up too. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

20170919_205845.jpg

I sold a KB-5 to a guy and he put the whole front clip on a KB-2. The fender openings were larger than the KB-2 and the running boards didn't match up. Other than that he said everything bolted up without having to change anything. Don't know about just changing but if every thing bolted up I would think the grille would be the same. IH interchanged a whole lot of parts within a series. Hope this helps.

Dennis

Thanks for your help, Dennis. I looked at the grill pieces on a KB7 last night at a salvage yard and it appeared to be larger than what I'd need, but the 7's are a much bigger beast than what I'm dealing with. I just don't know at what point they jumped up to the next size. You're right though, looks like everything I've read indicates that IH did try to interchange alot of their parts.

The split is at the KB-5. Nothing will fit from the K -6 on up unless it's a wiper motor, wiper arms or something small like that but I am not 100% sure if that is even the case.

Dennis

That is hugely helpful. Finding those grill pieces is not going to be easy but know that I van look for up to a KB5 helps a lot. Thanks Dennis. 

Next question is how are these grill pieces held on? Are they easy to remove clips or am I in for an afternoon of bloody knuckles trying to break rusty threads open? Thanks. 

IIRC they are held on by spring clips.

Dennis