FarmerFixEmUp

Who Still has Silos Around the Yard.

I am doing hog chores at my neighbor for a few days and was just looking at these big silos. I can remember when they were the same size and they added to the one. This was probably in the late 60's or early 70's. His father in law that lived there before fed quite a few cattle. Now it's hogs and the silos probably haven't been used in over 30 years. 

I have one that's 18x55 and I believe these are 60 and 80 feet tall. 

Everything gets bagged or make piles like they did before silos. Still see some bunkers being used. 

I remember the neighbor chopped with another farmer. The neighbor had a 4430 and the other guy an 856. The 856 on the chopper used less fuel than the 4430 on the blower. 

I still remember our silo being put up in 1968. They ran scaffolding all the way up the silo as it got put up if I remember correctly. Those guys walked around up there that high off the ground like they had no fear at all. It wouldn't be a job for me!! Heights aren't for me. I believe they had a cable operated crane that pulled the blocks or "staves" one at a time. 

I think these are Hanson silos. The paint job matches a concrete corn crib I have. I didn't get a picture of my silo since it was getting dark, but it's an Appleton from Wisconsin? KIMG0434.thumb.JPG.9ac286729c16508c0083dc76bdc88b5d.JPG

We had two but now just one, a 20 x 70. Still use it fill it every other year

We have one ( not used) at a second Farm. Barn is falling down.  Unfortunately the silo we had shotcreeted and it can't be taken down for reuse that way

Uncle still has 3. One is for high moisture and is of the bottom unload persuasion. Was built by rochester silo IIRC. The other two are corn silage and haylage. The rest is piled.

There is still a 20'x60' cement stave silo on my parents place that my Grandpa built when he and Dad milked.  The roof blew off in a storm a few years ago.  Hasn't been used in close to 40 years, really should be torn down.

One left here, a 20x50 Martin steel silo. It has been converted to dry shelled corn storage.

Month ago we went to my Brother-in-law's farm.  The 16 x 40 concrete stave silo that was last filled sometime in the middle 1960's is still standing, looks in good shape actually.  My Brother-in-law and Nephew might even decide to fill it again since they started feeding cattle again,  got a Cow and her calf, and a steer.

If it was me I'd feed them ground earcorn but his picker was scrapped about 50+ years ago. He still has the tractor the picker was mounted on. I'd get a New Idea 2-row pull picker and open up the fields with his combine.

The last time they filled that silo it was a whole neighborhood project.  Neighbor a mile north brought his 560 and chopper and a chopper wagon or two, Dad took the M down to run the blower. Brother-in-law's Dad had a 630, 720, and WD-45. Think he hauled in with the WD.  

Not so sure this "Retro-Ag" thing will catch on.  Sounds like a lot of work.

Got a 70' one in the corner of my yard. Amish guy came by last year and wanted to buy it and tear it down. My wife wanted to keep it cause it's where she grew up and it's been there her whole life. Kind of a landmark. Certain places you can see it for several miles. 1 at my house and 2 at the neighbors which used to be her grandparents place.

Around here it would be easier to say Who dosent have one instead of who has one. 

After harvest, If you see one in this neck of the woods then you can rest assured there is something in it.

Dad still has 24x80 star silo i love filling silo i ve done bags in ground trenches piles on the ground round bale trenches take silo any day! 

I'm insulted relics of the past what are you talking about I fill silos every year  two of them the only way to store corn silage.  I put Haylage in my harvestore's!

The only thing that doesn't go up the pipe is my small square bales and my round bales!!

God help the poor souls that have to do piles and bags and bunkers!!

42 minutes ago, IHCfarmer said:

I'm insulted relics of the past what are you talking about I fill silos every year  two of them the only way to store corn silage.  I put Haylage in my harvestore's!

The only thing that doesn't go up the pipe is my small square bales and my round bales!!

God help the poor souls that have to do piles and bags and bunkers!!

Don't be insulted, just around here very few are used anymore. 

Got a picture of my silo and the Hanson corn crib this morning. 

KIMG0435.thumb.JPG.48c9deb3a9665b22a3cc27a3a38b9d1d.JPGKIMG0436.thumb.JPG.fad922271424c491d8745100dbd07dea.JPG

My brother has one on his place when we bagged silage this year I was very happy to be bagging silage instead of filling a silo. When we bought the bagger never filled silo again.

2 hours ago, Gleaner k2 said:

Dad still has 24x80 star silo i love filling silo i ve done bags in ground trenches piles on the ground round bale trenches take silo any day! 

I couldn't agree more. The neighbor helps us fill our 18×50 silo and we fill his 20×60 and 24×60. He has another farm that we have to build a silage pile. I hate that thing. Front unload wagons and where he wants to put it makes it a real pain. 

We 7 silos between 3 farmsteads. We only use the 18×50 any more which is the first picture. The next silo is a 14×40 that hasn't been filled since 1967. The next silo is a 20×60 that is at the feedlot at Mom and Dad's. It was built in 1970 we filled it the last time in 2011. There used to be a 16×50 high moisture corn silo that was next to it. That year we filled the high moisture silo and a few days later the silo tipped over. It destroyed the feed house, the feed bunk, conveyor from the big silo and all the electrical service to the feeding set up. We got the silo empty and changed how we fed cattle.

The next 2 pictures are at my place. The first picture is the group of 3 silos where the feedlot my Great Grandpa used to be. 2 16×60 silos and a 20×60 are there. They haven't been used since 1976. The last picture is of the silo that is behind the old dairy barn at my place. 14×40, it was used for his dairy and later his feedlot until he built the 20×60 in 1968. 

20170925_110538.jpg

20170925_110458.jpg

20170925_115017.jpg

20170925_100331.jpg

20170925_100341.jpg

5 silos on my yard.  2 24x60 stave, 1 Herdking of unknown size, 1 20x35 Harvestore, 1 20x80 Harvestore.  To the best of my knowledge, they have seen little or no use since the early 80s.  

Dad's got an old concrete block upright that the upper 3 layers of blocks are swelling and not looking very good.  I'm dreading the day he wants me to take it down as it's right next to a shed.

6 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

Dad's got an old concrete block upright that the upper 3 layers of blocks are swelling and not looking very good.  I'm dreading the day he wants me to take it down as it's right next to a shed.

We had a 20x60 madison that they used bad cement and staves went bad after only 10 years it stood another 20 we put a cable at the top and tightened it up with a tractor about 200 ft out and smashed it with sledge hammers till it tipped like a tree! I should say dad swung for a bit then step back i finished as he GAVE orders! Lol

My neighbors have 4 cement stave's, haven't used them for years. I have a 30x50 on my land where the BTO had his farm 40 years ago. Unloaded is still in it but not in usable shape and I guess they didn't make roofs for them that size. There used to be 2 30x60's not far from here that where demoed 30 years ago that shared a single unloader with a shed roof across both of them. They where on a hill and could be seen for quite a distance away. 

4 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

My neighbors have 4 cement stave's, haven't used them for years. I have a 30x50 on my land where the BTO had his farm 40 years ago. Unloaded is still in it but not in usable shape and I guess they didn't make roofs for them that size. There used to be 2 30x60's not far from here that where demoed 30 years ago that shared a single unloader with a shed roof across both of them. They where on a hill and could be seen for quite a distance away. 

Used to be a few wood ones around here like that.  I thought they looked neat. Not sure the point of the connecting roof as I would guess they had armstrong unloaders, but maybe not.  There was a group that farmed here that had 2 staves, one unloader.................When they emptied the one, tore it apart at the bottom and lifted all the parts to the top of the other and put it back together.  

Took the 2nd one down 4 years ago or so. Last time it got filled in the 90's, it sat with chopped hay in it a year or so, then it started on fire

It smoldered away for a 1 1/2 years. All that was left was 3ft of burnt ashes. Was a 20x60.

Took a sledge hammer  busted side out and dropped it.

Couple of guys around here still have em but only a few actually get used each year. More come down each year it seems.

Rick

It really boils down to how many tons a person is storing per year as to how desirable they are to use. Once you are over a certain amount it is much easier to use a bunker and the reverse is true for smaller amounts of silage

The biggest an upright does not give you that is impossible to give you compared to a bunker is a good cross-section . With a bunker you fill it in a horizontal area and you feed from the vertical Edge so you get cross section of all the moistures of all the fields.  With an upright when you unloader goes down another half inch it changes Fields possibly which is going to change the moisture somewhat can change a lot of what the nutrient values is depending where what came from. 

4 hours ago, bitty said:

It really boils down to how many tons a person is storing per year as to how desirable they are to use. Once you are over a certain amount it is much easier to use a bunker and the reverse is true for smaller amounts of silage

The biggest an upright does not give you that is impossible to give you compared to a bunker is a good cross-section . With a bunker you fill it in a horizontal area and you feed from the vertical Edge so you get cross section of all the moistures of all the fields.  With an upright when you unloader goes down another half inch it changes Fields possibly which is going to change the moisture somewhat can change a lot of what the nutrient values is depending where what came from. 

Everything has its pros and cons thats for sure! dad wont do haylage he round bales and wraps all the wet hay about 800 bales his theory might be slower and cost more but he knows exactly what hay is what and its all seperated not all in one pile! So no good mixed in with junk! But i do agree if large volume of silage easier in a pile and faster and every year seems to be few more silos fall over cause thier filled to fast! 

The thing about silos was a small crew of two men could efficiently fill a silo. That same crew would struggle with a bunk silo or drive over pile putting up the same quality of feed in the same time frame. My silos made me money year after year. 

Sid