Sign in to follow this  
north of 60

IHC 345 cc engine distributor wire question

Can someone tell me if the wire from the coil to the distributor on a 345 CC IHC engine is a special resistance type wire, or will any smaller gauge insulated copper wire work in this application ....

This particular wire on my 1966 IHC 1700 Loadstar is damaged .. 

Thx, Grant

The one from the coil to the distributor would be just wire.  The one from the key to the coil will have a resistance somewhere, probably the section from the firewall to the coil is resistance wire unless it has a external resistor block.

yea- you could make the wire between the distributor and the primary coil is 18 or 16 gauge stranded (nothing special) - could probably get away with a 22 but why bother. 

regarding the resistor -  the resistance is needed in the positive (battery or ignition switch) circuit to the coil. Be careful about the ballast resistor. it is usually by-passed on the startup circuit but engaged always afterward. The resistor drops the voltage to the coil to approx 7 volts.  on my old stuff I dont bypass  it (ballast resistor is always in the circuit to the distributor) becuase its an extra circuit and if you have a good coil I never had an issue. as for the coil - be careful because there are some "internal resistor coils" i have no experience with them except the one time i used one, it failed after 20 seconds. 

i'm not sure what running a ballast resistor with an internal resistance coil would do - probably reduce the voltage to 3volts on the primary and probably get a very weak or useless spark.

I also never heard of a ""resistance wire". i'd think  it would generate too much heat and melt. sure it wasnt referencing  the resistor wire - meaning the wire going to the resistor? either way the wire between the distributor and coil doesnt get a resistor. 

hope that helps

The resistance wire that IH used is usually fairly obvious where it comes out of the harness at the coil and also at the firewall. It has an odd asbestos/fiberglass type braided white covering.  It is made right into the harness with the rest of the wires.

8 hours ago, north of 60 said:

345 CC IHC engine is a special resistance type wire,

I replaced the points with a pertronix setup , and the coil with a pertronix coil also ,

This allowed me to get rid of the resistor wire and run just a 12 volt primary wire ,

Very nice setup , Shoots some serious spark:)

Earlier production p-ix setups had some issues of failure if key was left on.

The newer style has solved that problem and they also have "adaptive dwell"

Here is link Ignitor II

Ignitor II systems develop up to 4 times more energy between 3000 and 5000 RPM than standard ignition systems. High RPM performance is improved when used with the Flame-Thrower II super low resistance (0.6 ohms) 45,000 volt coil.

Adaptive dwell maintains peak energy throughout the entire RPM range, reducing misfires while improving engine performance.

Develops on average 4 times more available energy between 3000 and 5000 RPM, and 2 times more available plug voltage.

Peak current level is reached just prior to spark for maximum energy without the heat build-up, increasing coil and module life.

Adjusts spark timing at higher RPMs to compensate for the inherent electronic delay.

Senses startup and develops more energy for quicker, easier starting. Built in reverse polarity and over current protection shuts down the system, preventing component damage.

Legal in all 50 states and Canada (C.A.R.B. E.O. #D-57-2).

Guaranteed for 30 months.

You cannot use solid core (typically copper) spark plug wires with this product. Solid core wires do not suppress electro magnetic interference (EMI) which will interfere with electronics in this product. A suppression style or spiral wound spark plug wires must be used.

Thx everyone for your responses ..

I have been considering switching to the Petronix electronic ignition .. Reviews that I've read are good...