galloway

ether button mistaken for starter

Hello, yesterday a friend tried to start my Hydro 84 with the ether button instead of the key. Like with the push button start on an old Ford- so it really got held down...Now it wont crank or turn over- just dead. Battery has charge, start/run/stop lever is not the issue. Usually starts fine once the mystery starting lever position is found. In 2014, in a thread about "ether buttons and how to use them", oldtech said, "NEVER hit the ether button unless the engine is cranking". What happens if you do?

Nothing.  It builds up in the intake, and if you then  started it it would likely knock and be bad, but if you let it sit for a while and dissipate , you'd be fine.   He just dumped a lot of either in it, but never actualy had it turn over right?  If it didn't turn over, then it shouldn't be hurt at all.,  Maybe the key switch is just bad, and that's why he tried " the button".   Check for power to and from the switch (test light, on switch, or on the small terminal on the starter selnoid) will tell you if it's getting power. 

^^^ what he said. If you ever are worried about helpers just reach up there and unplug that thing at the solenoid. Takes 2 seconds. 

assuming it never did spin fast enough to break /bend a rod

wait a day or two...   try turning by hand  or backwards thru starter hole  if no turn but spongy may have to manually open  valves or remove inj     if it then cranks free by hand  try  a few bursts on starter w fuel off  then on  but have something solid (sized can )to put over intake if it starts to run away

It never spun at all so sounds like the ether is not causing the problem. Thanks.

Right, it didn't turn over. Key switch seems likely. Thanks for your help- this is a great forum.

I actually take the wire connector off the either selnoid and put it back on turned 180 degrees so that the Power wire is not connected, but the ground is, so it holds the wire in place an doesn't look messy 

Check all electrical connections.

Too much ether can lock em up till it disapates my bet is in a day or 2 it will start fine. Bye the way improper ether use can also stretch head bolts. And NEVER use ether and glow plugs together.

If it doesn't even click, check all electrical connections.

had the exact thing happen to our 856 years ago like they said let it sit a while the longer the better

To answer your question about cranking it, he meant that all of the ether would go into whatever cylinder had the intake valve open at the time and if started it could overload the cylinder when the big load of ether went off or it could hydrolock as you seem to have here.  Ether used sparingly when the engine is cranking will be spread evenly across the cylinders by the intake air.

I still think he's just got a dead key switch, selnoid, or bad connection.   Sounds like the starter never engaged, when the first guy was trying to start it, or now 

X2,sounds like an electrical problem.

The litmus test is does it TRY to turn over? Starter solenoid should click. If not even that, definitely an electrical problem.

I installed ether on my 706 German     It was the only tractor that needed it and didn't have it. I wired it so it will not work unless it's cranking over

Turns out the connection was bad on the clutch safety button. The farmer down the road stopped by and said, oh- its probably the *&%# clutch safety. He bypassed the switch and it fired right up. The farmer has an 866 -886? and 1066- cost me a whole cup of coffee. Thanks for your help and the explanations.

Had a neighbor who was a old man several years ago and his 830 case he got from a guy would not start when he got it home after towing it 5 miles. He had the battery charger on it and after 2 days still nothing. Lo and behoe someone had swiped the starter off of it. quite a world