King of Obsolete

TD-18 known as Blaine

after a 5 year wait it is now time to change out the under carriage on the td-18 known as Blaine. today I got the under carriage ready from the td-18 known as Eggo because he came from the BB member ego-man back in 2010. the mini "hoe" sure is handy for working on these cats and small enough to get in to places too.

KoO

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 15-162017 021.jpg

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 15-162017 022.jpg

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 15-162017 024.jpg

thansk, the snow is coming we had 24" in one day October 3 last year. we are hopeing for snowless winter, lol. i'm having a good day on the cats, will post more later.

KoO

2 hours ago, waterloo said:

How many crawler do you keep in the operating fleet?

my cats only get used in the winter which people find hard to believe that we get them up and running when it is so cold out. last winter we had 6 cats making money building winter roads and keeping them open with all the snow we got. this td-18 will be a newer cat for us because it is a 1947, lol.

KoO

not sure if my head hurts more because of all the thinking required today or my back from tossing blocks and jacks around. I was able to remove the old under carriage and roll in the newer style from the td-18 known as Eggo. I had to work safely because I live at the end of the world and if the medi-vac plane can fly me south it will be over 4 hours until the good drugs are given to me if I get hurt. plus I have no big piece of equipment to man handle the td-18. so it was work smarter not harder. by 8pm the under carriage is under the td-18 known as Blaine and i'll change out the sprockets before finishing the installation.

KoO

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 17 2017 013.jpg

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 17 2017 019.jpg

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 17 2017 023.jpg

I see the inspector is checking your work in the last picture!  Be safe Joey!!

Wow! Awesome work on changing the under carriage on the 18!

Regards,

Chris

Would like to hear about how you prepare for the cold. A friend of mine used to speak of preparing truck for plowing snow in extreme cold. All fluids had to be changed.

thanks guys more on the winter freight cats later. today was to be a short relaxing day by changing out the sprockets but it was a long up hill battle for 12 hours. on a td-6 you sneeze and the sprockets fall off the hubs, the td-18 is a different story. I got one off with no drama and beat the replacement sprocket off for about 2 hours. then I decided to switch the sprockets with the hubs and risk having seal problems. by 8pm tonight the td-18 known as Blaine was sitting on the under carriage from the td-18 known as Eggo. this has turned out to be a big project, oh well, lol.

KoO

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 18 2017 008.jpg

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 18 2017 018.jpg

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 18 2017 021.jpg

for the first time in a long time the td-18 has a draw bar which is really heavy and glad I had the mini "hoe" to help. of course by quitting time I almost had the tracks connected but that will be in the morning's project.

KoO

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 19 2017 003.jpg

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 19 2017 004.jpg

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 19 2017 005.jpg

KoO How do you R&R  the master pins ?  drive them?  Heat ?  press them or grind and weld

thanks guys, the rainy season has started late this year and it is now the second day of rain. once it stops i'll be able to finish up on the td-18 and take it for a spin. since these cats are 60-70 years old, I have no problem using the rose bud torch tip and the 22lbs sledge hammer to get the master pins out.

KoO

13 minutes ago, CDNDIESELMONKEY said:

Looks like a good job! What is the difference between the old style and new style under carriage? Thanks! 

Blaine was a side boom cat with solid suspension and the newer 1947 under carriage was from a dozer cat which has the spring and rollers for each track to move up and down. I didn't think it would be that big of a job but i'm getting it done. 

KoO

plus all the side boom mounts were on the track frames too. lots of extra  weight not need when crossing ice

KoO

That mini digger looks totally out of place. Better distress it so it fits in better W

1 hour ago, waterloo said:

That mini digger looks totally out of place. Better distress it so it fits in better W

yes it is too new for my life style but it has saved me a lot of time and work this summer on the repairs of the cats.

KoO

well between the drizzley rains and cool temps I did a couple of quick up hand welds on the track pins and the nut on the draw bar. I didn't even drag the grinder out because it was just a quick job.

KoO

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 23 2017 005.jpg

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 23 2017 006.jpg

I like your welds! I am not a pro welder by any means! Great skills you have to keep these big Cats going! Those are that same lights as on my TD6 and they really look small on the 18!

Regards,

Chris

2 hours ago, sugarmaker said:

I like your welds! I am not a pro welder by any means! Great skills you have to keep these big Cats going! Those are that same lights as on my TD6 and they really look small on the 18!

Regards,

Chris

thanks for the kind words ,i'm a welder by trade there is no money in welding up here at the end of the world. I buy the grote 4" rubber mount tractor lights because they are cheap and shine lots of light when playing in the snow. all my equipment has these lights. I have watched you and that other fellow go to all the work of getting the IH lights working. I was going to start a thread when I finished up the twin td-9 cats known as Kijiji and Pee-Dee. I took the original IH lights and mounted the grote 4" inside so the light looks original but it is not, quick and easy.

KoO

today was a relaxing sunday by doing little things on the td-18 known as Blaine. I got very lucky and got all the broken studs out plus welded shells to the guide rollers to make them round again. replaced a piece on the guide slide to make it tight and of course splashed the paint on too.

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 24 2017 003.jpg

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 24 2017 006.jpg

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 24 2017 008.jpg

td-18 blaine under carriage switch sept 24 2017 009.jpg