Sign in to follow this  
TP from Central PA

Quest is over, 6*88 2+2 showed up

Finally ended up with a 6588 after looking for one for a few years now, tried to buy a few over the years and nothing worked out.  This one came out of Iowa and is a good starting point.  Lots of older 2+2's around but I wanted the later control center on the 6*88's so it limited my choices.  Well, search for the tractor is over, now the search for parts starts.image.jpeg.db82c8d8ae79cf34f92076bc1644ba5f.jpeg

bitty    0

I like these beasts. Going to be a class at Nesbit to pull it? 

21 minutes ago, bitty said:

I like these beasts. Going to be a class at Nesbit to pull it? 

I don't think, the last one lasted the longest ever, don't want to add to it unless you want 24 hours of continuous tractor pulling.

Looks good. Always nice to finally find something you've been looking for. What are your plans for it?

1 minute ago, Sledgehammer said:

Looks good. Always nice to finally find something you've been looking for. What are your plans for it?

Fix it, then I don't know.............I just always wanted one.

2 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Fix it, then I don't know.............I just always wanted one.

It's your money, sounds like a good plan :). Is there much wrong with that needs fixed?

ny bill o    0

nice addition. they will almost "walk on water". if you hook a semimount plow on, be aware a 3588 (probably 6588 too) will break the hitch off a white 598 if you crank it around too tight.

NY1468    0
53 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

nice addition. they will almost "walk on water". if you hook a semimount plow on, be aware a 3588 (probably 6588 too) will break the hitch off a white 598 if you crank it around too tight.

My 598 won't fit a fast hitch, pins are bent out at an angle from exactly that. Nice looking 2+2 there TP, would love to get a 65 but would probably just confuse me since I have all 86 style shifting. What does it need?

5088    0

How does the shift levers and hydraulic console compare with the 33-3588s?  I know shifters are rt vs lt but I've never seen the cab of a 65.  Actually I've never seen a 65 whatsoever.

2+2 Guy    0

Congratulations on finding that. Looks like a nice one. Welcome to "the love em or hate em club". I still love my ol 3788. :)

Congrats!  I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of this animal.

DOCTOR EVIL    0

When we first moved into this house 20+ years ago every fall I'd get to fall to sleep to the sounds of a DT-466 screaming in a 3588 chisel plowing a couple nights in a row.  Neighbor's tenant was ALL red, still is. Back then M, 300, 706, 966, 1486, and 3588.  Had a New Holland combine back then, now has 1666, and still has the 1466 & MX-200 & MX-210, CIH995 utility.

Nothing brought a smile to my face like that DT-466 SCREAMING in the distance.

Keep us posted if you get it fixed and find something to do with it.  Sounds like a great project!

BOBSIH856    0

Do you still grow tomatoes? Wonder how the 2+2 will do in front of the harvester.

rcb    0

Congrats! I'm still looking for my 2+2. Maybe one day... but if not I'm not too fussed. Looks great!

5488ih    0

Was that the one for sale out by Iowa city, Iowa a few weeks back?

2 hours ago, BOBSIH856 said:

Do you still grow tomatoes? Wonder how the 2+2 will do in front of the harvester.

I swapped from the growing end to the machine repair end, take care of a few harvesters now so it won't be in front of one.  Although I would love to try it on one in the mud.

BOBSIH856    0
32 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I swapped from the growing end to the machine repair end, take care of a few harvesters now so it won't be in front of one.  Although I would love to try it on one in the mud.

Do you work for Pik Rite? 

7 hours ago, 5488ih said:

Was that the one for sale out by Iowa city, Iowa a few weeks back?

Yes, came from a agtalk member.

No, I don't work for Pik Rite but stay busy with Harvesters because of Pik Rite, when they branched into products other than harvesters the knowledge there went down about them.  I enjoy them, they are a challenge.

Pete1468    0

I liked dad's 6788 for everything but cultivating.  Looks like a nice one.

Bdse25    0
4 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Yes, came from a agtalk member.

No, I don't work for Pik Rite but stay busy with Harvesters because of Pik Rite, when they branched into products other than harvesters the knowledge there went down about them.  I enjoy them, they are a challenge.

Back in the day(50's and 60's) there were a lot of potatoes grown around here (southern carbon county) but now you need to drive 15-20 minutes south into Lehigh county to see them. Was a a sale with two Lockwood airsep potato harvesters and thought they were really amazing pieces of machinery. Imagine a tomato harvester must be even more complex. Are a lot of acres grown in your area of the state. (Can't say I've ever seen a field of tomatos) those harvesters must be engineering marvels