Torque1

International 500 dozer, just signed up and looking for any info yall might have on it. Anything would be helpful thank yall!!

Torque1    0

Hello all, hope everyone's having a great morning, I'm sorry if i am posting wrong on here, if so please let me know and I'll be happy to fix it! 

Well to start off I picked up this 500 from my uncle out from under a molberry tree, has been sitting the past 19 years and when I got it home I spent most the day rewiring a few things, ignition, battery, coil, condenser and resistors. 

It's a little 4 cylinder gas motor, it runs and drives like a top! 

I'm not sure of the year but from what I could gather it's a 1967 

The questions I have are simple  (I hope haha) How can I tell what year it really is? 

How can I tell what rearend it's has?

Where could I find a used or repop gas tank and is there anything yall would advise doing to it since it's been sitting so long? 

I figured flush all oils (as you'll see in one of the pictures my hydraulic oil has been moved to a tank on the fender and rear end just filled with oil) and flush the coolant, but any other advice would be greatly appreciated. 

The serial number/model I'll post in a picture along with some other info. 

Thanks again to all who takes the time to read this and help out! I've seen a few people on here with a few 500s! Nice to see some still running! 

Guess the gas ones are dying out it seems though..

Thanks again. 

Sincerely: torque1 

20170913_090538.jpg

20170913_090502.jpg

20170913_090528.jpg

20170913_090606.jpg

20170913_090618.jpg

20170913_090649.jpg

20170913_090705.jpg

20170911_121023.jpg

based on tractor data.com yours is a '66.  I have a '67 and it is  a great little dozer.  You might contact General Gear in Idaho (tractorparts.com).  I got several parts from him.  He will want the part #.  I can look up the # if you need it.

Torque1    0

That would awesome if you could, I would greatly appreciate it.

I've been hunting all over and can't seem to find much on them...

I'm waiting for my uncle to find all the service/parts books he had on it but he said it would take a while if at all since it has been so many years since he used it... 

So are the gas ones harder to find now? I haven't seen but 3 online so far. I believe one was yours. 

Willie B    0

I was born in 1956. At the time of my birth my father, and mother worked for the local IH farm dealer. Father had a falling out with the owner, and boycotted the place. Mother kept the books 27 years. I was obsessed with the tractors, wanted them all! Most of the crawlers sold to farmers were 340's The 500's were those who had a need for a real crawler. No, I've never owned a 500. I now have a TD7G, sort of a distant cousin, by a different father. I sure wouldn't refuse a 500 even 50 years later.

Willie

Willie B    0

Finney is another good source for parts. If you need parts or knowledge, call Reggie Lussier at Winmill Equipment in Rutland VT. That man has forgotten nothing he ever knew about IH machines, and he knows all the details! Not a better parts man, or mechanic alive.

Willie

The fuel tank part # is 635 343 R92.  If the tank isn't too bad you might want to have it coated on the inside.  I had this done to an old motorcycle gas tank and it worked great.  If you need accessory part #s let me know (clamp, spacer, insulator, support, etc.).

I don't know how rare the gas models are but I have a neighbor who has a 500 loader but it doesn't have the original engine (Farmall).  You can still get engine parts for your Case IH dealer.  You can get manuals from binderbooks.com  My 500 is a "67 gas with reverser and a Gearmatic #9 winch.

farmalldr    0

Torque1, Word of caution, Before you spend too much money on it be sure the undercarriage is good enough to do what you intend to use it for.  Replacement undercarriage is non existent.  Like already said, binderbooks have great reprints of most IH manual.  Have fun with it and welcome to the board.

Dennis

Torque1    0
17 hours ago, Willie B said:

I was born in 1956. At the time of my birth my father, and mother worked for the local IH farm dealer. Father had a falling out with the owner, and boycotted the place. Mother kept the books 27 years. I was obsessed with the tractors, wanted them all! Most of the crawlers sold to farmers were 340's The 500's were those who had a need for a real crawler. No, I've never owned a 500. I now have a TD7G, sort of a distant cousin, by a different father. I sure wouldn't refuse a 500 even 50 years later.

I had a similar child hood only I grew up around old cats, my father had 3 pans from 1943 or 45 (not sure which) dw10, 15 and a 20, then 2, 619s. All where cable operated, the push tractors we had where 9us and B's and D's most where 50's and 60s but all where cable.. (never let anyone run one that didn't know how lol or you would be redoing cables half the day!"  We did have 3 little D2's and they where a blast to run!  Use to spend days after days reading through all the old books he had on them.

I was finally able to squire one of his old farm tractors though right as it was pulling into the scrap yard.  It was a old 43 farmall H was locked up, busted disolite manifold stuck passenger axle, brazed up the manifold, let the motor soak in some stuff I make, and worked on the axel, 3 days later it was running around the yard! 

Good tractor as well as the little 500, I plan on using it to do small jobs under my father's company but want to go over everything and ensure she will hold up!

I know the feeling of wanting them all!! Haha! And that is awesome you have TD7G you get to use! THANK you for all your help and advise! I'll be sure to check out the site!

Torque1    0
14 hours ago, Coyote Crossing said:

The fuel tank part # is 635 343 R92.  If the tank isn't too bad you might want to have it coated on the inside.  I had this done to an old motorcycle gas tank and it worked great.  If you need accessory part #s let me know (clamp, spacer, insulator, support, etc.).

Will do! THANK you for finding the number for me and well..... my tank is uh.. well I hit the wall of the tank and the bottom fell out.... 

Been trying to figure out where to get a new one, now that I have the number  (thanks again) maybe I can get a new one or used. 

Wish mine had a winch! Mind has reverse and I think 5 forward gears. 

Never use but 3.  I fear 4-5 would just shake it all alose. 

Torque1    0
13 hours ago, farmalldr said:

Torque1, Word of caution, Before you spend too much money on it be sure the undercarriage is good enough to do what you intend to use it for.  Replacement undercarriage is non existent.  Like already said, binderbooks have great reprints of most IH manual.  Have fun with it and welcome to the board.

Dennis

Thank you for the welcome! 

Also, I believe... the undercarriage is at least 70% my uncle ran it for 10 years before me said it never gave any problems and that he believes he might know where another one is that the rear end went out due to lack of oil back when it was new, the guy never fixed it so maybe I can aquire it for parts... hopefully it didn't go to the scrap yard.. I know a lot of things did when scrap went up so high...

I used 4th gear once.  It took me 5 minutes of pulling to get it out of 4th.  4th and 5th were probably never used and I don't need them.  With the reverser I have 5 gears forward with no reverse in the the transmission.

acbjohn    0

Torque1,

Nice looking machine.  Mine is gas also.  Engine parts (if you need them) are readily available, however, pistons get pricy.  Mine is pretty worn (.010" over), but I'm running stock pistons and new rings...down a little on HP but it gets the job done!  I agree with you on the gears...5th would shake your teeth out unless you had Coyote's track pads (IIRC he has a set) or you were running in sand.  Your hydraulic tank is a bit of a mystery.  The transmission/bevel gear housings are the reservoir for the hydraulic system.  Unless someone added an accessory with a large volume demand, I'm not sure why you would need another oil supply.  Manuals help a lot...but so do the good people here!

Torque1    0
On 9/14/2017 at 7:55 PM, Coyote Crossing said:

I used 4th gear once.  It took me 5 minutes of pulling to get it out of 4th.  4th and 5th were probably never used and I don't need them.  With the reverser I have 5 gears forward with no reverse in the the transmission.

Lol oh man! Yeah sounds like mine I can't even get them to go in it... just steam cleaned the whole tractor, looks a neck of a LOT better. Also.... I found these to it and s few extra booksmy uncle had with it!

20170915_224331.jpg

Torque1    0
On 9/15/2017 at 6:37 AM, acbjohn said:

Torque1,

Nice looking machine.  Mine is gas also.  Engine parts (if you need them) are readily available, however, pistons get pricy.  Mine is pretty worn (.010" over), but I'm running stock pistons and new rings...down a little on HP but it gets the job done!  I agree with you on the gears...5th would shake your teeth out unless you had Coyote's track pads (IIRC he has a set) or you were running in sand.  Your hydraulic tank is a bit of a mystery.  The transmission/bevel gear housings are the reservoir for the hydraulic system.  Unless someone added an accessory with a large volume demand, I'm not sure why you would need another oil supply.  Manuals help a lot...but so do the good people here!

Well my uncle was saying something about the rearend leaking out, so to be on the safe side and not ruin the pump or get water in it (I can't for the life of me remember how all he explained it) but he welded up/built the tank, fabbed up a filter system rerouted lines and placed it up by the lever system and filled the rear end with 90 weight. 

As for the motor! That's awesome to hear there is still parts available. All my cylinders work great but I was told if you ram it real hard for a week or so it would foul the front plug.  I'm HOPING it's just a stuck ring cause non of the others do it. Been letting it sit in a little concoction I call cherry bomb lol. Works wonders on locked up motors. If I told you what all was in youd say no way! But it works!

As for 5th oh yeah.. id probably stay out of it! Lol! 

Found a few things on it after steam cleaning it, was wondering where to find a bottom half of a air cleaner... mines a old oil filter style. 

Man i wish I had his tracks! These seem pretty solid though, although need some greasing up! I was told it has never bound up or jumped track before.. luckily.

Torque1    0
37 minutes ago, farmalldr said:

Nice to have those original books with it.  Have fun

Dennis

Thank you! If you ever need any info just let me know the two green ones cover up to a super H I think